ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2008 Lexus ES 350 won't start after dead battery replace

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-19, 11:13 AM
panther21
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2008 Lexus ES 350 won't start after dead battery replace

Hope someone can help me with this. I have a 2008 ES 350. After it had been sitting for couple months through winter without starting the battery was dead. Had auto zone do an overnight trickle recharge. Battery was tested when I picked it up and it only held 10%. Had AAA come out for a new battery replace. The AAA service tech tried everything to start it without success. I've been told its possible that the anti theft security system locked out the ignition. If so, how do I reset the security system?
Old 05-19-19, 11:48 AM
jkayca
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Does it turn over or is it completely dead? Any lights on the dash?
Old 05-19-19, 11:58 AM
panther21
Driver School Candidate

No, it doesn't turn over. It's completely dead. Yes, dash lights come on.
Old 05-19-19, 12:51 PM
panther21
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure if more info will help. When the new battery was hooked up the horn beeped repeatedly as if the alarm was engaged. We turned it of by pressing the unlock button on the key fob. Both key fobs I have are able to unlock and lock the doors and trunk. The light on the push button for ignition start turns an amber color when pressed. If I remember its supposed to turn green when the ignition is started. The security light comes on and then goes away. We also tried starting the ignition by pressing the button with the key fob a couple times in a row. We made sure the brake was pressed completely and moved shifter in and out of park to ensure it was engaged properly in the parked position. We even disconnected the negative cable on the new AAA battery waited a few minutes then reconnected it trying all of the above again. Since the car wouldn't start the AAA tech had to remove the battery. The previous battery was installed this past December. It probable died in February when we had the polar vortex cause wickedly low temps for a couple weeks. So, its possible the battery could of froze. Autozone associate thought maybe it was defective since it only held a 10% charge after a 24 hr trickle charge. A friend suggested to do a three day trickle charge on it. If it doesn't work I will get a replacement and try anything you guys have as suggestions. I don't want to take it to dealer unless I have to.
Old 05-19-19, 02:57 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,040 Likes on 774 Posts

Check fuse #11 uder the hood:

It is not a random fuse, it looks like this:

You have to check it through the glass.
If it is blown then come here and I will give you some instructions.

Last edited by ESh; 05-19-19 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-20-19, 02:58 AM
panther21
Driver School Candidate

I will check today. Thank you so much!!
Old 05-20-19, 02:39 PM
panther21
Driver School Candidate

The fuse looks good. I tried to remove it to be certain, but it won't release. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-20-19, 03:17 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

OK, then remove all other fuses and check them, especially fuse #22, 30A.
Old 05-20-19, 04:19 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Did someone accidentally touch the battery cables to the wrong terminals on the replacement battery.
Old 05-20-19, 05:59 PM
panther21
Driver School Candidate

Checked all fuses. They are all good. I didn't notice anything odd with the battery cable hook up. I will install a new battery and retry everything myself. Are there any instructions for the 2008 ES350 for proper sequence of steps to restart after a dead battery replacement? Such as key fob recognition, alarm reset etc....The car has been without power for a while. Is there a specific time to wait after new battery is installed to allow for recharging of electrical components before attempting to restart it?
Old 05-21-19, 12:38 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

No, it is plug and play. No procedure.

Can you take a video what is happening when you try to start the car and post it on youtube?
Old 05-25-19, 07:47 AM
panther21
Driver School Candidate

Good idea LjeksesES. I will try to do that. First, I have some updated info. I replaced battery and there is power throughout car (doors lock and unlock with key fob, windows move up and down, lights all work, radio and horn works and there is air flow when AC is turned on). I hooked up my OBDII scanner and retrieved code P0705. Looked it up and its listed as "transmission range sensor malfunction". Description sounds like it might be the culprit in not starting the car. Can anyone guide me on how to replace it. It's fairly cheap and i am fairly handy with simple repairs when i have instructions to follow.

BYW...thanks everyone for your help. I appreciate it.
Old 05-25-19, 10:31 AM
KMiles
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You might just play with your shifter to see that it is really in Park:

2GR-FE ENGINE CONTROL SYSTEM: SFI SYSTEM: P0705: Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input)
P0705 - Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input)

DESCRIPTION

The park/neutral position switch detects the shift lever position and sends signals to the ECM.

MONITOR DESCRIPTION

These DTCs indicate a problem with the park/neutral position switch and the wire harness in the park/neutral position switch circuit.

The park/neutral position switch detects the shift lever position and sends a signal to the ECM.

For security, the park/neutral position switch detects the shift lever position so that the engine can be started only when the shift lever is in the P or N position.

The park/neutral position switch sends a signal to the ECM according to the shift position (P, R, N or D). The ECM determines that there is a problem with the switch or related parts if it receives more than 1 position signal simultaneously. The ECM will turn on the MIL and store the DTC.
The following users liked this post:
panther21 (05-25-19)
Old 05-25-19, 10:59 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

The switch is under the battery so maybe you did some damage to the connector when you replaced the battery.
The following 2 users liked this post by ESh:
CamelKool (07-13-20), panther21 (05-25-19)
Old 05-25-19, 01:16 PM
panther21
Driver School Candidate

Awesome! Thanks guys!! I did play with the shifter and even tried to start it in neutral, neither started the car. If thats where its located it is definitely possible I could of loosened or damaged it when i was replacing the battery. I will check all connections to make sure before I try to replace it. Not as cheap of a part as I originally thought, about 200.00. Forgot to consider Lexus parts priced at high end compared to other makes. Is it an easy replacement?
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (07-13-20)

Quick Reply: 2008 Lexus ES 350 won't start after dead battery replace