ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Noise behind front console after dash replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-19, 10:27 PM
Silverman1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise behind front console after dash replacement

I've owned my 2010 ES-350 since 2011. Got the melted dash replaced under recall a few weeks ago. A couple of days ago I noticed a noise coming from behind the general area of the front console, behind the radio an AC control panel and such.

Okay, so, now the fun part -- trying to describe the noise. It's like a very rapid flapping or ratcheting of a piece of paper or plastic, a low-pitched, low volume du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du. It's not audible until the car is moving and once it gets beyond about 10 MPH it's there. The speed of the du-du-du-du is consistent no matter what the speed of the vehicle is. It gets a bit louder as speed increases but only at first and then remains constant. It is entirely unaffected by whether the AC is on or off, the vents are facing up or down, the vents are using external air or recycling internal air. I can't find anything that's related to it.

Now that I've noticed it, it's there any time the car is moving. It's not from the tires, which are good quality and have plenty of tread. And it's not from the road. It's inside the car, under/behind the dash, or in the back of the engine compartment behind the console area.

My question is whether kind of noise is "normal' with this year and model or if I should take it in for them to check it out and see about remedying the situation by removing and reinstalling the dash they just put in.

Yes, of course I know the logical question is "Did you ever notice this noise before" and the answer is that I did not. That's not entirely conclusive but it sure seems odd that I noticed it only a few weeks after they did the dash replacement when I've had the car for eight years.

I'm asking here before going to the dealer with this because of the time involved in going there twice (to drop it off and again to pick it up) and again having them give me a loaner car, but more importantly because I don't want to open a can of worms when the install seems to have been successful in terms of both appearance and in terms of all the mechanical and electrical functioning. Everything seems fine other than that noise. I don't want to introduce the potential for unwanted complications by having them try to remedy this if, in fact, it's a normal noise that I just never noticed before.

Can I live with it? Yeah, it's not that bad. But now that I'm noticing it I find I'm sometimes moving my head to the center of the console to try to ascertain what it is or where it's coming from that just makes for a dangerous situation in and of itself. I may have this car a few more years -- it's only got 45,000 miles on it -- so I figure I should address this now with the dealer and get it over with if I'm going to do so.
Old 07-29-19, 04:34 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverman1
I've owned my 2010 ES-350 since 2011. Got the melted dash replaced under recall a few weeks ago. A couple of days ago I noticed a noise coming from behind the general area of the front console, behind the radio an AC control panel and such.

Okay, so, now the fun part -- trying to describe the noise. It's like a very rapid flapping or ratcheting of a piece of paper or plastic, a low-pitched, low volume du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du-du. It's not audible until the car is moving and once it gets beyond about 10 MPH it's there. The speed of the du-du-du-du is consistent no matter what the speed of the vehicle is. It gets a bit louder as speed increases but only at first and then remains constant. It is entirely unaffected by whether the AC is on or off, the vents are facing up or down, the vents are using external air or recycling internal air. I can't find anything that's related to it.

Now that I've noticed it, it's there any time the car is moving. It's not from the tires, which are good quality and have plenty of tread. And it's not from the road. It's inside the car, under/behind the dash, or in the back of the engine compartment behind the console area.

My question is whether kind of noise is "normal' with this year and model or if I should take it in for them to check it out and see about remedying the situation by removing and reinstalling the dash they just put in.

Yes, of course I know the logical question is "Did you ever notice this noise before" and the answer is that I did not. That's not entirely conclusive but it sure seems odd that I noticed it only a few weeks after they did the dash replacement when I've had the car for eight years.

I'm asking here before going to the dealer with this because of the time involved in going there twice (to drop it off and again to pick it up) and again having them give me a loaner car, but more importantly because I don't want to open a can of worms when the install seems to have been successful in terms of both appearance and in terms of all the mechanical and electrical functioning. Everything seems fine other than that noise. I don't want to introduce the potential for unwanted complications by having them try to remedy this if, in fact, it's a normal noise that I just never noticed before.

Can I live with it? Yeah, it's not that bad. But now that I'm noticing it I find I'm sometimes moving my head to the center of the console to try to ascertain what it is or where it's coming from that just makes for a dangerous situation in and of itself. I may have this car a few more years -- it's only got 45,000 miles on it -- so I figure I should address this now with the dealer and get it over with if I'm going to do so.
Sounds like a simple assessment. If the noise was not there before the dash replacement then the problem was caused by the repair. The problem will be the dealer will disclaim they did it and you will either have to fight them or get used to the noise. Good luck.