ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Front Control Bushing Asked and Answered Maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-19, 03:49 PM
vuch11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Control Bushing Asked and Answered Maybe?

2011 ES350 - 135K miles - I have looked through the forum and its difficult for me to extract my answer. Have a bad front control arm bushing found during a tire issue (warranty) that I actually purchased from Lexus dealer (I know I know - long story). Anyhow - got a great deal 20% off $1300 to replace the both bushings. Doesn't sound great to me! Is this even in the correct ballpark given the labor requirements?? and if / when I take to my local mechanic should I replace the control arm while in there?

Thanks in advance

D
Old 09-25-19, 05:56 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,172 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Why replace the bushing? It is much cheaper to just replace the entire control arm. That sounds like too high a price. This is the same part as used in a Camry, but the labor may be more than the part.

Go get another quote from a different repair shop.

To give a lesson, the bushing is in the control arm. If you replace the arm, it comes with a new bushing.

It is a lot less labor to just replace the control arm, that is what most shops do. You need to find another shop, I suggest you look at recommendations here from the list of shops recommended by listeners of the radio show Car Talk

https://www.cartalk.com/mechanics-files
Old 09-25-19, 11:34 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

You know I think that’s a somewhat rare repair on here after surfing the forum for many years here. I’d probably get a 2nd opinion too.
Old 09-26-19, 05:16 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,172 Likes on 1,000 Posts

If a dealer gave you this quote, there may not even be anything wrong with your control arm bushings. Dealers are notorious for exaggerating about the condition of parts and the need for repairs as they have sales quotas to meet. Go to a respected independent shop for another opinion.
Do you have any symptoms when driving such as vibrations etc. You can go for years with small cracks in the control arm bushings with no ill effects.
A more common cause of vibrations are sticking brake calipers from lack of guide pin lubrication, out of balance tires or warped rotors.

Also if you do need to replace the control arms, you have to remove or loosen a transmission mount and jack up the engine a couple of inches to remove the arm, this is not as hard as it sounds, I have done it on other cars, but it takes time, which costs more money.
The following users liked this post:
vuch11 (10-11-19)
Old 09-27-19, 02:11 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 246 Likes on 195 Posts

Bad bushings will cause uneven tire wear and vibrations at certain speeds. The front end will also feel loose and the car will wander when driven over uneven surfaces Have you experienced any of this?

I replaced our LCA and BJ's. They came in a suspension kit form AM Autoparts. I don't see the kit there anymore but the components are available a la cart. Both LCA's with new bushings and ball joints runs $87.
Old 10-11-19, 08:18 AM
vuch11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
If a dealer gave you this quote, there may not even be anything wrong with your control arm bushings. Dealers are notorious for exaggerating about the condition of parts and the need for repairs as they have sales quotas to meet. Go to a respected independent shop for another opinion.
Do you have any symptoms when driving such as vibrations etc. You can go for years with small cracks in the control arm bushings with no ill effects.
A more common cause of vibrations are sticking brake calipers from lack of guide pin lubrication, out of balance tires or warped rotors.

Also if you do need to replace the control arms, you have to remove or loosen a transmission mount and jack up the engine a couple of inches to remove the arm, this is not as hard as it sounds, I have done it on other cars, but it takes time, which costs more money.
Delayed thanks for the input
Old 10-11-19, 08:28 AM
vuch11
Driver School Candidate

Delayed thank you