ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

High cold start RPM

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-19, 11:56 AM
SapphireES
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High cold start RPM

I have been searching and searching the forum but I have mostly found "its normal" but I feel like its not- cold start RPM 1800-2000 goes down to 900-1000 after 30sec- 1 min, goes down to 800ish when in drive- at least it goes down but no one else mentions up to 2000 RPM here.

2007 ES350
118k miles

Sometimes there is a fan squeaking noise but the car is just loud IMO, I wish the car was, in general, a bit quieter- what are my options?

When my dad comes into town this Christmas we will change the spark plugs and oil, not sure if this will help with the high RPM's or engine noise. I have seen everything from coolant temperature sensor to idle air control valve to fuel additives and I am just confused
Old 12-11-19, 02:43 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,192 Likes on 1,019 Posts

That initial RPM level and kick down RPM is perfectly normal. As it gets colder, the initial RPM will get higher and the kick down will change to compensate for the temperature, thicker oil and ignition characteristics.
You could run a bottle of Techron Fuel System cleaner in the gas to clean out the throttle body and intake system.

I trust you know how involved it is to change the spark plugs. Have fun bonding with your father on this project!

Since you probably have to remove the intake manifold to change the rear bank spark plugs, that would be a good time to directly clean out the throttle body with some throttle body spray cleaner.

The fan squeaking noise probably means you should change your drive belt. Your father probably can help identify the noise.

Last edited by Clutchless; 12-11-19 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-12-19, 10:04 AM
SapphireES
Driver School Candidate

Ahhh..... maybe I'll let a mechanic do it LOL

What other maintenance should I look into for 120k miles?
Old 12-12-19, 10:08 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

use a strong concentration of fuel system cleaner

service your pan filter and trans fluid

do a brake flush

how often do you change your oil? if you go more than 5k per interval, do another oil change

have the suspension inspected

do you smell fuel when you start the car?
Old 12-12-19, 10:19 AM
SapphireES
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Moisture
use a strong concentration of fuel system cleaner

service your pan filter and trans fluid

do a brake flush

how often do you change your oil? if you go more than 5k per interval, do another oil change

have the suspension inspected

do you smell fuel when you start the car?
Now that you mention the smell I will inspect it today when I leave the office BUT I noticed white smoke last night long after the car was warmed up and the coolant was low, how hard is it to diagnose a coolant leak and what cost am I looking at? The engine does not overheat, the a/c blows hot and when I had last inspected the oil it was not milky.

Oil was less than 5k ago but it was also 6 months ago (before I purchased) so I intend to get that done.

How strong is the Lucas Oil fuel injector cleaner?

Last edited by SapphireES; 12-12-19 at 10:20 AM. Reason: more detail
Old 12-12-19, 10:36 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SapphireES
Now that you mention the smell I will inspect it today when I leave the office BUT I noticed white smoke last night long after the car was warmed up and the coolant was low, how hard is it to diagnose a coolant leak and what cost am I looking at? The engine does not overheat, the a/c blows hot and when I had last inspected the oil it was not milky.

Oil was less than 5k ago but it was also 6 months ago (before I purchased) so I intend to get that done.

How strong is the Lucas Oil fuel injector cleaner?
Most likely your car just consumed some coolant. Not normal, but it happens. Look around the engine bay for any potential wet spots.

Also, take your engine dipstick out after a good 30-40 minute drive and smell the oil. If it smells strongly like gasoline, you might have some fuel injector issues.
Old 12-12-19, 10:40 AM
SapphireES
Driver School Candidate

Super appreciate the insight, I will check that out tonight and see if I can identify any abnormalities.
Old 12-12-19, 01:32 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Super appreciate the insight, I will check that out tonight and see if I can identify any abnormalities.
No problem buddy, if you have any other questions or concerns don't hesitate to ask.

Don't use Lucas oil anything, go for either Redline SL-1 (fuel system cleaner) or Chevron Techron or whatever it's called. Those are the two best ones. I've used Redline with super good results on a car with around 70K. You will notice a huge difference with the way the engine runs... Will feel smoother.

Don't use the whole bottle at once. Run your tank to completely empty, add maybe half a bottle, fill up a quarter tank and drive to near empty again. You want a pretty strong concentration of fuel system cleaner, and you don't need alot of fuel for it to do it's work.

I would suggest (with a fully warmed up engine...!) doing some full throttle acceleration 1-3 times (preferably one after another in a short period of time, such as merging onto the highway) for maximum cleaning effect.
Old 12-13-19, 02:57 PM
SapphireES
Driver School Candidate

1. Cold start exhaust smell- sweet-ish?
  2. Warm exhaust smell- none
  3. Oil color- amber brown, no milky
  4. Oil smell- I didn't smell anything, Boyfriend says it smells like gas
  5. Coolant reservoir- extremely low
  6. Engine temp- stable
  7. Heater- hot in 2 mins
  8. Wet spots- none, looked with flashlight
Old 12-13-19, 04:59 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

1. Cold start exhaust smell- sweet-ish?
  2. Warm exhaust smell- none
  3. Oil color- amber brown, no milky
  4. Oil smell- I didn't smell anything, Boyfriend says it smells like gas
  5. Coolant reservoir- extremely low
  6. Engine temp- stable
  7. Heater- hot in 2 mins
  8. Wet spots- none, looked with flashlight
- Sweet smell = burning coolant. If you don't smell any gas that's good.
- Be very sure to top up your coolant reservoir with the same colour fluid as whatever it currently uses (clear coloured coolant , some distilled water or simply Lexus spec coolant will do just fine) make sure you regularly inspect the level and top up as needed.
- the smell of gas, especially if it's strong isn't good. Did you go for a quick drive before smelling the oil, or was after a good 30+ minute drive?
-Do you have any check engine light?
Old 12-13-19, 05:01 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Also, are you experiencing or noticing any oil consumption?
Old 12-16-19, 07:01 AM
SapphireES
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Moisture
- Sweet smell = burning coolant. If you don't smell any gas that's good.
- Be very sure to top up your coolant reservoir with the same colour fluid as whatever it currently uses (clear coloured coolant , some distilled water or simply Lexus spec coolant will do just fine) make sure you regularly inspect the level and top up as needed.
- the smell of gas, especially if it's strong isn't good. Did you go for a quick drive before smelling the oil, or was after a good 30+ minute drive?
-Do you have any check engine light?

Checked the oil after a drive.
I didn't think it smelled strongly of gas but it sounds like even alittle smell could be a problem.
I have no check engine lights.