ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Bumper paint and scratches

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-20, 01:01 PM
klove17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Bumper paint and scratches

Hey guys! So my mom gave me her 2008 ES350 Starfire pearl Lexus for my first car. I noticed a few weeks ago that the back bumper has two yellow from when my dad rear ended her and she has some scratches on the right corner of the bumper and man they bother me. The Lexus dealership said it would cost me about $500. They'd have to replace the bumper. I just wanted to see if you guys can provide any advice if you think I can fix it on my own or if you think I should just bite the bullet and pay for it to get done.

I plan on keeping it for as long as it will run so im willing to pay to have it done if need be. It is my baby! I have that my parents pointed it out to me because I didnt even notice. Its funny because when I point it out to people they always say "I didnt even notice" BUT I NOTICE lol

Pictures:

https://ibb.co/s65g1S1

https://ibb.co/yh13Cv0

https://ibb.co/VxWQTF5
Old 02-12-20, 01:09 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by klove17
Hey guys! So my mom gave me her 2008 ES350 Starfire pearl Lexus for my first car. I noticed a few weeks ago that the back bumper has two yellow from when my dad rear ended her and she has some scratches on the right corner of the bumper and man they bother me. The Lexus dealership said it would cost me about $500. They'd have to replace the bumper. I just wanted to see if you guys can provide any advice if you think I can fix it on my own or if you think I should just bite the bullet and pay for it to get done.

I plan on keeping it for as long as it will run so im willing to pay to have it done if need be. It is my baby! I have that my parents pointed it out to me because I didnt even notice. Its funny because when I point it out to people they always say "I didnt even notice" BUT I NOTICE lol

Pictures:

https://ibb.co/s65g1S1

https://ibb.co/yh13Cv0

https://ibb.co/VxWQTF5
Your pictures are in a very low resolution, so it's hard to tell. If the yellowing is just paint transfer, it can be removed with a buffing machine and some light paint polish. The scratches/dings in the corner would require a professional repair though. If it really bothers you, get the bumper professionally repaired. $500 is a reasonable price if they use Lexus parts and do a good job paint matching it to the rest of the body.

Congratulations on the car, that's an awesome first ride. I would personally spend the money on maintenance before any cosmetic work, but it's your decision.
The following users liked this post:
klove17 (02-12-20)
Old 02-12-20, 01:28 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,278 Likes on 987 Posts

agree that some of this yellow will likely come out with a polish compound by hand or buffer if you have one. Even the corner may look better. Try it yourself first. You'll eventually have maintenance expenses. How are the brakes and tires? $600 for new tires. Lexus is usually expensive for any work. But if the total cost of bumper replacement and paint is $500, (that's almost too good to be true) then have them do it if your DIY doesn't improve the yellow stain. It's a personal preference about cosmetic work.
klove17 (02-12-20)
Old 02-12-20, 03:42 PM
klove17
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by swfla
agree that some of this yellow will likely come out with a polish compound by hand or buffer if you have one. Even the corner may look better. Try it yourself first. You'll eventually have maintenance expenses. How are the brakes and tires? $600 for new tires. Lexus is usually expensive for any work. But if the total cost of bumper replacement and paint is $500, (that's almost too good to be true) then have them do it if your DIY doesn't improve the yellow stain. It's a personal preference about cosmetic work.

Yeah! Maintenance is CRAZY expensive. I've noticed! My parents are taking care of that for me though. The actual lexus dealership quoted me $500 it may sound too good to be true but I think he gave me a deal because my mom is a good customer. Regardless I'm going to try and do it myself first thank you!

Old 02-12-20, 04:11 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Yeah! Maintenance is CRAZY expensive. I've noticed! My parents are taking care of that for me though. The actual lexus dealership quoted me $500 it may sound too good to be true but I think he gave me a deal because my mom is a good customer. Regardless I'm going to try and do it myself first thank you!
Meguiars makes quality liquid polish, found at Walmart. There are plenty of others as well. Just to give you a distinction: rubbing compound is much more aggressive than polishing compound. I'd use polishing compound first based on the photos. If that does a good job then finish with a combination polishing wax product to give a finish polish and protection. Disposable applicators or microfiber cloths both work well. Enjoy the magic of you making it look great with your own hands. What you said about the dealer considering you good customers makes perfect sense as well.
klove17 (02-12-20)
Old 02-12-20, 04:52 PM
klove17
Driver School Candidate

Meguiars makes quality liquid polish, found at Walmart. There are plenty of others as well. Just to give you a distinction: rubbing compound is much more aggressive than polishing compound. I'd use polishing compound first based on the photos. If that does a good job then finish with a combination polishing wax product to give a finish polish and protection. Disposable applicators or microfiber cloths both work well. Enjoy the magic of you making it look great with your own hands. What you said about the dealer considering you good customers makes perfect sense as well.
Okay ordering it now and let's pray for the best. My fear was making it worse using products that might not be suitable for the paint and etc. The worst thing I could do is make it worse🤦🏿‍♀️
Yeah the guy we go to is definitely a suck up.Everytime I go in he says AT LEAST a dozen times, ”Tell your mom I said hi!” Hes really nice though I like him lol. My mom upgraded to the 2020 es350. MANNNNN THAT INTERIOR - a. little jealous!!
Old 02-12-20, 05:36 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

LOL they want your business! The polishing you're doing is to the clear coat paint. You're actually scrubbing off any dirt and paint from the other car's bumper. When you feel you've got the color cleaned up, use a light amount of polish wax to gently polish the finish until any micro swirls are gone. The color is protected by a fairly thick layer of this clear coat. If you ever have the need to touch up any deep scratches in the paint, you would need the white paint and a clear coat paint to do it in two steps.
klove17 (02-12-20)
Old 02-14-20, 11:26 PM
klove17
Driver School Candidate

LOL they want your business! The polishing you're doing is to the clear coat paint. You're actually scrubbing off any dirt and paint from the other car's bumper. When you feel you've got the color cleaned up, use a light amount of polish wax to gently polish the finish until any micro swirls are gone. The color is protected by a fairly thick layer of this clear coat. If you ever have the need to touch up any deep scratches in the paint, you would need the white paint and a clear coat paint to do it in two steps.

SOOO I went and got the full works - a electric polisher, applicator pads, compound and wax

I used meguiars ultimate compound and it helped A LITTLE. But it didnt take it off. Do you think I need a stronger compound? Or do you think that'd been too risky? Meaning, if a stronger compound is too easy to go over board with and mess up Id rather not risk it lol I attached a picture for comparison. This is what it looks like now.....

Keep in mind I spent a good 2 hours trying to get it off and it just wouldn't come completely off.

Old 02-15-20, 07:20 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

You got the idea right. Was/is your dad's car yellow? I assumed it was. A solvent like lacquer thinner will remove any old wax the could have yellowed. But, if for some reason the bumper was repainted improperly, the solvent will begin to remove the paint. It WON'T take off properly applied factory paint that ha a protective clear coat. So, decide if you're OK with the way it looks now or if you're committed to have it repainted. If you're committed, then try solvent on a small area and see what happens.
It's a slight chance the yellow is paint from Dad's bumper but some how got a synthetic wax over the top that compound didn't take off. Solvent will remove that coat then polishing compound will take off the yellow. Make sense?
Old 02-15-20, 12:50 PM
klove17
Driver School Candidate

You got the idea right. Was/is your dad's car yellow? I assumed it was. A solvent like lacquer thinner will remove any old wax the could have yellowed. But, if for some reason the bumper was repainted improperly, the solvent will begin to remove the paint. It WON'T take off properly applied factory paint that ha a protective clear coat. So, decide if you're OK with the way it looks now or if you're committed to have it repainted. If you're committed, then try solvent on a small area and see what happens.
It's a slight chance the yellow is paint from Dad's bumper but some how got a synthetic wax over the top that compound didn't take off. Solvent will remove that coat then polishing compound will take off the yellow. Make sense?

Yeah my dads car was yellow/gold. I dont think I have to worry about it the repaint issue only because I know my dad and mom haven't had their cars repainted to any degree just the factory paint. Honestly I am tempted to try it! I think im going to. For someone like myself that knows next to nothing about cars and how to touch them up, just your personal opinion, do you think I should attempt to do this myself? If it's a tricky process that typically takes some level of auto skill, I might just count my loses and either accept it or pay the $500 lol . What do you think about the magic eraser method? I haven't tried

Also side note: I see a lot of people pressing that its so hard to match Starfire Pearl paint 100% and I understand but based off of the looks of it unless you have a SUPER keen it doesnt look like it is lol I can't even tell where the repaint happened the overall car typically matches. From what I've seen. . .
Old 02-15-20, 04:05 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Good to know that there's no repaint on that bumper. It's possible that you're being too gentle, not enough polish or time. If it feels a bit smoother compared to the surrounding area, you know it's making a difference. As I said the clear coat is pretty thick and you're unlikely to go through it to the actual white. The yellow has to be on top of the clear coat. So, try some solvent, then wipe it off with rubbing alcohol. I'd put the machine aside and do it by hand with some elbow grease first, then finish with a polish to get a super smooth finish. Another thought is go to a local body shop and explain to the tech you're concerned about damaging the paint. Ask if he'd hit it with the buffer for a couple of minutes for $50 cash. It is helpful if you bring a six pack of beer at closing time. I'm sure you'll find a cooperative shop. Plus you'll see how it's done for the future.
I understand what you've heard about repainting colors not matching and it can be true. Chances are you're being too gentle, understandably.
Old 02-15-20, 10:10 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

Yeah my dads car was yellow/gold. I dont think I have to worry about it the repaint issue only because I know my dad and mom haven't had their cars repainted to any degree just the factory paint. Honestly I am tempted to try it! I think im going to. For someone like myself that knows next to nothing about cars and how to touch them up, just your personal opinion, do you think I should attempt to do this myself? If it's a tricky process that typically takes some level of auto skill, I might just count my loses and either accept it or pay the $500 lol . What do you think about the magic eraser method? I haven't tried

Also side note: I see a lot of people pressing that its so hard to match Starfire Pearl paint 100% and I understand but based off of the looks of it unless you have a SUPER keen it doesnt look like it is lol I can't even tell where the repaint happened the overall car typically matches. From what I've seen. . .
Good to know that there's no repaint on that bumper. It's possible that you're being too gentle, not enough polish or time. If it feels a bit smoother compared to the surrounding area, you know it's making a difference. As I said the clear coat is pretty thick and you're unlikely to go through it to the actual white. The yellow has to be on top of the clear coat. So, try some solvent, then wipe it off with rubbing alcohol. I'd put the machine aside and do it by hand with some elbow grease first, then finish with a polish to get a super smooth finish. Another thought is go to a local body shop and explain to the tech you're concerned about damaging the paint. Ask if he'd hit it with the buffer for a couple of minutes for $50 cash. It is helpful if you bring a six pack of beer at closing time. I'm sure you'll find a cooperative shop. Plus you'll see how it's done for the future.
I understand what you've heard about repainting colors not matching and it can be true. Chances are you're being too gentle, understandably.
swfla, I've been in klove17's position before when I was around 16-17 and clueless about car maintenance/repair, so I feel like I understand what he's going through. Knowing what I know now, it would've helped me avoid a lot of stupid mistakes if I had a professional mentor for stuff like this. My point is that klove17 has inherited a beautiful Lexus ES that has some minor cosmetic issues that he/she is sweating bullets over. If klove's got the dough and it won't break the bank, I would strongly recommend to stop experimenting and bring the car to a professional. Like you said, they'll demonstrate the proper technique and help avoid any expensive repair. Speaking from personal experience, you gotta learn on crappy daily beaters, not luxury cars. Automotive detailing is an art form and it can cause more harm than good in klove's situation. You got the right information but I think it's hard to really teach detailing without a hands-on approach.

Last edited by Hayk; 02-15-20 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-16-20, 05:04 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

I can't/won't say you're wrong. Now that's he's actually tried to do it, skipping straight to the body shop with a 6 pack and 50 bucks is a great idea. When the guys see the corners (which I can't) they may fix the whole thing for really cheap. Already got a Lexus quote. While perl paint might be a tough color to blend, it's just as likely any place can do it if spraying is actually needed. I will say that an LS, with hand rubbed color is a pro only situation.