ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Glad to finally be rid of that crap..

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-20, 10:59 AM
dmroper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glad to finally be rid of that crap..

I've had some strange issues with my 2008 ES350, one of them which was related to water that is leaking into the car (noticed the worst when I use a brushless car wash). That water issue did some crazy things including having the car engage the starter on its own- various combinations of Check VSC warnings and CES lights- even burned up a starter that must have engaged for quite a while to have burned up my old one. I still have water issues, but along with the troubleshooting before I noticed that the water was leaking right on top of the fuse junction below the driver seat was a code that had me planning to replace the transmission range sensor (P0705 or something, I believe it was). https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-car-wash.html

First off, pulling the air filter box, I could see the connector to the MAF (MAP?) sensor connector had its 5 wires somehow split. I'm not sure if that at all might have been related to the issues I had with the car getting wet, but it could easily have become wet and grounded itself right there where those wires cut on the other side of that, perhaps sitting on the transmission range sensor..

Other than that, I uncovered another interesting issue. After pulling that box, I couldn't make out that range sensor at all- I assumed it was grease and gunk, but as I worked under the car I could see in the clumps coming down that there was no question that there was animal feces of one kind or another (seemed like cat to me). Well after gently using a screwdriver to get access to that transmission range sensor, the entire thing I found was covered in that crap (literally). It must have been 2" high, that pile of crap. There was a bit of gunk that had me thinking that it might have just been gummed up a bit, and so I gingerly spent a bit of time cleaning the thing off.

And so today I've got a nice, clean, and accessible transmission range sensor, a good set of wires from that connector to where those wires disappear deeper into the wiring, and I have verified that I've got a relatively new battery that is leaking acid at the same time while not delivering enough amps to start.

Once I can figure out how to get my warranty replacement battery (retail counter where I bought it has been closed), I'll get myself some caulk and seal around the windshield to try to keep that water at bay. I don't really think I need to install this new transmission range sensor, since it's relatively obvious that those check VSC light issues may or may not be related (at least until I see that P0705 code again).

I really wish I had taken a picture of that sensor before I started cleaning it off, but I really wasn't even sure I was looking in the right place.. I was pretty incredibly surprised to see how much crap was piled on top of that thing..

And so uh.. animal crap was not something I was thinking might be an issue, but we'll see - soon as the battery situation is sorted out..

Last edited by dmroper; 04-26-20 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Updated with link to referenced thread
Old 04-26-20, 01:37 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 381 Posts

Good job with your trouble shooting and I hope you have solved most, or all, of the issues!

Rodents are a huge problem with modern cars as manufacturers have moved to soy-based wiring insulation to make their vehicles appear to be more ecologically sensitive. The rodents used to chew through the plastic-based insulation too, but find the food-based insulation much more palatable!

Regarding your water intrusion issue, this is a big deal, and you need to address it before any more water leaks into your electronic components. Otherwise, your ES will be relegated to the dump as it could become cost-prohibitive to fix. I get the sense that you bought this car used and don't know the history on past damage and repairs. Windshield replacements are critical, and I'm surprised they aren't taken more seriously by insurance companies and owners. It is imperative the technician do everything by the book in order to maintain the factory-type seal all the way around the glass. However, many don't and the long-term effects can be catastrophic (life-ending) for the vehicle!