ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Should I install cold air intake/ Ram intake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-20, 07:39 AM
Kikko
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should I install cold air intake/ Ram intake?

Hi there guys!

Got myself a near mint 2007 ES350 from an old man (it has 84 000km ~ 52 000 miles) not a single scratch. I'm 23 y-o driving the car my grand-father should be driving. The car is driving well and is very comfortable but is pretty numb and boring. I was wondering if a cold air intake could add some sound to the engine and maybe help a little bit with gas mileage? I only owned german cars in the past, mostly turbo charged engine. The benefits were there, but I have no experience with naturally aspirated engine and especially with Lexus/Toyota engine. And if there are benefits, what kind should I use and where can I get them? I've seen some models like the Weapon R but I never heard of them before so

I don't know how much I can trust them.

>TL/DR: (1) Asking if there are benefits of cold air intake on N/A engine found on my 2007 ES350 (2) What brand/ kind of cold air intake should I get and where to get it?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old 05-19-20, 08:13 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 988 Likes on 742 Posts

The ES350 is for sure the last car I would convert into a sports car or modify. That car was made to be driven from A to B in the most luxurious way, to be quiet and comfy. Not to have a loud muffler, spojlers and crazy **** like that. It is not a Honda Civic coupe.
The following users liked this post:
Kikko (05-19-20)
Old 05-19-20, 08:20 AM
Kikko
Driver School Candidate

You have a solid point! I'm just looking to give it a little punch. I am driving it from point A to B but as I said, I'm coming from an Audi A4 w/ sport package. An old lady ran a red light and trashed my car... the only reason why I have this ES is because I got it really cheap, mint condition and low mileage. I don't want to transform it into a racing car (it's legit a Camry with leather seats haha). I just want to give it a bit of punch/ something the 23 y-o me will appreciate once in a while between going to work and purchasing groceries

Thank you for your reply!
Old 05-19-20, 11:32 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 988 Likes on 742 Posts

It is now a Camry with leather seats. You should drive them both for 1 day and then you will see the difference.
Old 05-19-20, 06:26 PM
Kikko
Driver School Candidate

My gf has a 2002 camry and brother in law a 2009 camry. I drove them both (mostly the 2002 camry) and I swear to god it's almost more comfy than my Lexus other than the lack of sunroof and cooling seats (and CD player but who cares eh?).
Old 05-20-20, 03:43 PM
Zaavan
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Let's not turn this into a debate. If it that simple you should have gotten a camry. But regarding the intake. Try the k&n stock style engine air filter. I felt a big difference with that one versus regular filters. And its reusable and rewashable.
Old 05-20-20, 06:58 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

You could punch your catalytic converter for more power but you’ll get a CEL and probably won’t pass emissions if your state has tests.
Old 05-21-20, 10:08 AM
luxuryrice
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A couple weeks ago I installed an ebay true cold air intake on my es and id say that it makes driving the car alot more fun . From the looks of your engine bay to the sound of the air when you gas it, it is awesome. But beware, it seems water can get into the bumper area relatively easily so I had to makeshift a cover for the intake filter. Also my MAF sensor didnt even line up with the cheap intake so i'd recommend buying a good brand such as
Amazon Amazon
. Don't feel an increase in power (no surprise there) but it makes driving more fun especially when combined with an exhaust.

The following users liked this post:
Kikko (06-04-20)
Old 05-21-20, 02:09 PM
Zaavan
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What kind of exhaust system do you have set up?
Old 06-03-20, 07:49 AM
PJZX14R
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Kikko – although I am likely as old as your dad, I understand your situation. My mint ES just showed up one day and I couldn’t turn it down. If you are accustomed to the A4, you might want to dive into the suspension a little. KYB struts and an Ultra Racing rear sway bar transformed my car into something I now enjoy driving. It won’t beat an A4 or isn’t ready for autocross, but the mods did provide a dramatic improvement in street handling. Might be a better bang for the buck than engine mods.
The following 2 users liked this post by PJZX14R:
Clutchless (06-04-20), Kikko (06-04-20)
Old 06-04-20, 10:33 AM
Kikko
Driver School Candidate

I'll be checking that for sure. The factory suspension makes the car feel like a big boat (which is nice, but not fun at all). Thank you for the tip!
Old 06-04-20, 10:34 AM
Kikko
Driver School Candidate

That's it, I'm looking for a nice induction sound to go with the everlasting 3.5L And you are right about water... don't want to hydrolock my car. Thank you for the link, really appreciated!
Old 12-15-23, 11:36 AM
User 122922
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Kikko
Hi there guys!

Got myself a near mint 2007 ES350 from an old man (it has 84 000km ~ 52 000 miles) not a single scratch. I'm 23 y-o driving the car my grand-father should be driving. The car is driving well and is very comfortable but is pretty numb and boring. I was wondering if a cold air intake could add some sound to the engine and maybe help a little bit with gas mileage? I only owned german cars in the past, mostly turbo charged engine. The benefits were there, but I have no experience with naturally aspirated engine and especially with Lexus/Toyota engine. And if there are benefits, what kind should I use and where can I get them? I've seen some models like the Weapon R but I never heard of them before so

I don't know how much I can trust them.

>TL/DR: (1) Asking if there are benefits of cold air intake on N/A engine found on my 2007 ES350 (2) What brand/ kind of cold air intake should I get and where to get it?

Thank you in advance for your help!

what brand is that air intake looks?🔥🔥😍 And is theres any air intake for 19 ES 350 F sport?
Old 12-18-23, 06:34 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,163 Likes on 991 Posts

User122922 - You should look in the 7th generation ES350 forum for information regarding cold air intakes as this is the 5th generation forum. Note there are the initials WR on the intake in the photo above which indicates it is a Weapon R intake. See this https://weapon-r.com/

Quick Reply: Should I install cold air intake/ Ram intake?