ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Oil Type for 07 to 09 ES

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-20, 07:19 PM
Zaavan
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Oil Type for 07 to 09 ES

Hi everyone, I have a 2007 Lexus ES350. I just got it in February and got an oil change the next day when I bought it. I will do the next one at home. But my main question is that the dealer recommended that I stick to conventional oil. But considering my car has 109k miles. I wanted to switch to full synthetic and high mileage oil. Anyone done this yet or the dealer tell you that conventional is recommended and switch to synthetic or full synthetic? I just wanted to know if I will be fine going to full synthetic. But I'm aware that once I switch I can't go back. Can someone please fill me in on what I should do. Stay with conventional or go to synthetic or full synthetic.
Old 07-24-20, 03:27 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 192 Likes on 134 Posts

Given the age of your car and unknown history of how often oil was changed and if synthetic was used, I would stick with conventional oil to avoid any surprises with leaks. Some people will say that synthetic does not cause a leak, which is true, but if you have crappy seals that are barely holding up, synthetic will wash them and they could leak.

sure you can go back and forth, but better stick with one thing.
Old 07-24-20, 04:35 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Btw, all my cars on synthetic oil for past 20yrs which I change myself. But I bought them new, and synthetic went in a first oil change.
old car with unknown oil change history is risk to go synthetic, I would not take this risk. But if you are for some excitement, you can put synthetic and hope you dont develop leaks
Old 07-24-20, 09:41 AM
Zaavan
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. What is a good brand conventional oil i can use. I've used mobil 1 in the past for other cars, but that was full synthetic.
Old 07-24-20, 11:28 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,040 Likes on 774 Posts

Put M1 5W30 EP, Amsoil SS 5W30 with OEM filter.
Old 07-24-20, 01:17 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zaavan
Thank you. What is a good brand conventional oil i can use. I've used mobil 1 in the past for other cars, but that was full synthetic.
there are many, mobil makes regular oil too. As long as it has the right weight, API certified you should be good. Change it every 5k miles.
Old 07-24-20, 07:14 PM
Zaavan
Driver School Candidate

I'm in between Castrol Edge and Mobil Super. Any experience with either of them?
Old 07-24-20, 08:08 PM
tolian21
Advanced

They are all the same
Old 07-25-20, 05:49 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,040 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaavan
I'm in between Castrol Edge and Mobil Super. Any experience with either of them?

Avoid Mobil Super. This engine calls for Mobil 1 5W30 Full synth.
Old 07-25-20, 07:13 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
Avoid Mobil Super. This engine calls for Mobil 1 5W30 Full synth.
This engine does not call for full synthetic. 5w-30 API certified.
Any major brand conventional oil will do fine if he changes every 5K miles. His car is old, and he does not know if it was using synthetic or not. Without knowing anything, the most conservative approach is to use conventional oil and change it at manufacture recommended interval.
We can sit here and argue about synthetic oil not causing a leak or not, will any of us pay his repair bill if he notices a seal leak shortly after putting synthetic?
Old 07-25-20, 02:52 PM
Zaavan
Driver School Candidate

Now my car was done 6 months ago. And i barely put like 800 miles on it. Should I still get it done in 6 months or wait till I hit 5k miles. Also, I'm just gonna go with conventional Pennzoil or Castrol GTX 5W30.
Old 07-25-20, 03:10 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 493 Likes on 393 Posts

I believe conventional oil and synthetic oil of the same weight, will leak at the same rate, regardless of the age or history of oil use. I haven't seen any science that indicates otherwise, I've only heard anecdotes. In the old days, motorists were faced with a similar decision to go from non-detergent to detergent oil, and the threat of engine damage was real. I also believe this real danger is what makes today's motorists believe there is something to the modern myth of synthetic oil being more prone to leaks, or other harm, than conventional.

Project Farm does all kinds of testing, and I recommend his YouTube videos if people care to learn more about motor oils. After seeing his comparative tests of modern synthetics, I've converted from using Mobil 1 to using Penzoil Platinum Plus. I always use premium filters too from Purolator, Wix, K&N, Bosch, etc.

I'm not seeking a debate. I'm simply offering my opinion based on my research and 50+ years of automotive experience doing all my own maintenance and repairs.

Last note: I would not recommend oils or additives, formulated for high-mileage engines, with "seal conditioners" unless one is going for a short-term fix. They chemically soften the seals, but also degrade them.
Old 07-25-20, 04:08 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Exactly, if you research this topic on internet, when switch is made to synthetic oil in poorly maintained, old and neglected engines, leaks do happen. Good luck explaining to the customer that it was not the oil, but rather coincidence that engine seal gave up just around the time when switch was made. These are not myths, but observations made by mechanics. The old seal could be barely holding up, maybe it will hold another few years, you put highly detergent synthetic oil, it will wash all the years of abuse, and surprise the seal is bad.
Its easy to give advices on internet when you dont need to pay for repairs.
there is no compelling reason to introduce synthetic into a 13 yr old car since its unknown what oil was used or if it was even changed on time.
If synthetic oil is not required, why bother now?
Old 07-25-20, 04:16 PM
tolian21
Advanced

scotty has the same opinion, engineers say its impossible but mechanics see it happen, very unusual coincidence? when it leaks, keep telling yourself “its not the oil”. Good luck.
The bottom line question to ask “why I need it”

Last edited by tolian21; 07-25-20 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-26-20, 09:39 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 493 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by tolian21
...you put highly detergent synthetic oil, it will wash all the years of abuse, and surprise the seal is bad.
Washes what exactly? What makes you think synthetic oil has more detergent than conventional?
Originally Posted by tolian21
If synthetic oil is not required, why bother now?
Because it offers superior protection.

Again, not looking for a debate. Mine is just one more opinion to throw on the heap of anecdotal evidence.

Quick Reply: Oil Type for 07 to 09 ES