Search this Thread

Old 11-25-20, 08:48 AM
Racerd
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 2008 ES350 Sunroof drains / moisture issue

Where are they?
Best way to check and clean them out?

My car has the full glass roof option, so to be honest, I am not sure if its just the drains that could be at issue or if there are other seals that have shrunk or become less useful. I have noticed that after a heavy rain (car lives outside) in particular, my drivers side seat belt is sometimes damp. I think there must be a leak behind the interior trim that goes down the B pillar.

TIA

Old 11-25-20, 11:02 AM
w84me
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

just read the drains usually run down A or B pillar. Look for a drain hose exiting bottom of car for clues. i've never noticed them myself.

check out link. its possible there are none. which would explain why there is a gap when the sunroof is closed. that gap always bugged me.
https://parts.autonationtoyotasoutha.../body--sunroof

Last edited by w84me; 11-25-20 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-25-20, 11:59 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,020 Posts

If there are drains, and I suspect there are as the Camry has them, then use some weed wacker line to clean out the sunroof drains. Just push it through from the top and if it hits a clog try working it back and forth. You may have to find the bottom exit and push some through from the bottom too. The front ones are easy and are in each corner. The rears are harder to access. There are many youtube videos on cleaning sunroof drains.

See this https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t17823_ds36954
Old 11-26-20, 08:28 AM
w84me
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
If there are drains, and I suspect there are as the Camry has them, then use some weed wacker line to clean out the sunroof drains. Just push it through from the top and if it hits a clog try working it back and forth. You may have to find the bottom exit and push some through from the bottom too. The front ones are easy and are in each corner. The rears are harder to access. There are many youtube videos on cleaning sunroof drains.

See this https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t17823_ds36954
great idea with the weed wire. the panoramic sunroof is a strange beast. the glass sides out of the car, exposed to anyone driving by you. rather than under the roof. they can tell your sunroof is open. its an unusual setup. this allows for the rear passengers to have a glass roof to look out.
Old 11-27-20, 08:26 AM
Racerd
Driver

Originally Posted by w84me
just read the drains usually run down A or B pillar. Look for a drain hose exiting bottom of car for clues. i've never noticed them myself.

check out link. its possible there are none. which would explain why there is a gap when the sunroof is closed. that gap always bugged me.
https://parts.autonationtoyotasoutha.../body--sunroof
This link only shows drains for the traditional sunroof, not the panoramic glass roof that my car has. I poked around yesterday and I wonder if they only use "front" drains in the panoramic unit. I will need better lighting than I had to look more closely.

Good idea to try weed wacker line. Certainly don't want something so sharp that it punctures the drains. Compressed air might work too?
Old 11-27-20, 08:36 AM
Racerd
Driver

Found some additional info in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...of-panels.html
Old 11-27-20, 09:02 AM
w84me
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Racerd
This link only shows drains for the traditional sunroof, not the panoramic glass roof that my car has. I poked around yesterday and I wonder if they only use "front" drains in the panoramic unit. I will need better lighting than I had to look more closely.

Compressed air might work too?
scroll down further for pano, good idea on compressed air
Old 11-27-20, 09:33 AM
Racerd
Driver

Originally Posted by w84me
scroll down further for pano, good idea on compressed air
I did.. there were no mentions of drains.. At the top, with the conventional top, it mentions "drains, for non panoramic roof"; the bottom half shows the panoramic top and mostly the glass part numbers or the shade part numbers.

Finding the other thread, makes it sound like there are no drains (which is odd, cause if you had the roof tilted or open slightly and it started to rain, where would the water go?) It mentions that the water, at least when the top is closes, merely runs along the sides and uses the front and rear windshield paths along the external A and C pillars.
Old 11-27-20, 01:28 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 493 Likes on 393 Posts

Be careful using compressed air on these low/no pressure drain lines. They are capable of being ruined by compressed air. I like the earlier suggestion of using weed-wacker line to clear a blockage.

These blockages are common and just one reason I wish sun/moon roofs weren't so prevalent. My wife and I never use ours, so it is an unnecessary maintenance headache for people like us. However, good luck finding a luxury car without one.
Old 11-27-20, 04:15 PM
w84me
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Racerd
I did.. there were no mentions of drains.. At the top, with the conventional top, it mentions "drains, for non panoramic roof"; the bottom half shows the panoramic top and mostly the glass part numbers or the shade part numbers.

Finding the other thread, makes it sound like there are no drains
you said "This link only shows drains for the traditional sunroof, not the panoramic glass roof that my car has."

I said in post 2, its possible there are no drains. read/write more carefully for better help.
Old 11-27-20, 09:43 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

I would personally have somebody use a garden hose to spray down the car while you sit inside and observe. It could be your side window seals as well. Removing the B pillar trims shouldn't be too hard with some careful prying will give you a better idea of where the water is coming from.

Last edited by Hayk; 11-27-20 at 10:06 PM.