The Silent Car Initiative

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-20, 09:44 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default The Silent Car Initiative

Hello all,
I decided I want my 2012 ES to be quieter. Yes, I know it is pretty quiet as is, but I am bored and hey, it is a nice project to work on.
So, far, I have used Boom Mat Spray on the underside of the engine covers. I will be spraying the top side this week.

I also will be using that spray in the trunk.

Once that is done, I will re-evaluate to see if more is needed. The engine is already pretty silent, but tire noise is still an issue on some roads.

Thanks,
Old 11-27-20, 09:50 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pull the front wheel well liners and apply some adhesive backed foam mat to the liners and firewall.
Old 11-28-20, 05:01 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Sounds good (pun intended). Have you done this? How much of a pin is it to pull the wheel well liners?
Old 11-28-20, 08:57 AM
John U
Intermediate

Originally Posted by brucelee1
Sounds good (pun intended). Have you done this? How much of a pin is it to pull the wheel well liners?
Yes, I do this to every vehicle I own. I find it provides the best results....... why not it’s closest to the source of the noise!

Majority of the plastic “pins” can be saved.
Old 11-28-20, 09:05 AM
brucelee1
Racer

I am on it. Thanks for the encouragement. Can you tell me what kind of foam mat you use? Happy with the result, I assume?
Old 11-28-20, 09:29 AM
John U
Intermediate

Originally Posted by brucelee1
I am on it. Thanks for the encouragement. Can you tell me what kind of foam mat you use? Happy with the result, I assume?
Unfortunately the car and remaining foam are at a different home. I purchased it thru Ebay at the time, 10 years ago.
it’s a thin adhesive backed foam. I added two or three layers. Since the liners are not flat, you end up with a lot of “pie” cuts fitting it.
Old 11-28-20, 09:34 AM
John U
Intermediate

For testing, download a DB meter app on your phone and pick a stretch of road(s) to record the range of noise. Then afterwards drive at the same speed those same roads and see what the difference is.
Old 11-29-20, 05:56 AM
jmdav89
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

My RX350 was quite loud IMO so I bought some Dynamat (foil with sticky 1/16" black rubber stuff ) i placed in the floor in the back under the spare tire and removed the rear side panels and placed it there. Then I put it inside all 4 doors against the door skin back. It didn't make that much of a difference reducing road noise. Then I removed the wheel well protectors and put it on all the metal surfaces I could reach. This helped a little. Then as a last ditch effort I went 50 miles to a Ziebart dealer and had the underside sprayed with rubberized noise blocking material. Of all that I tried the Ziebart helped the most.
The Dynamat will deaden rattles and squeaks but In my opinion it doesnt help much with road noise. I have done some research since and found that a thicker foam or jute type blanket with sticky back would have worked better. I just sold that vehicle and purchased a 2011 ES350. Im considering doing road noise insulating on this car but Im starting with new tires. The Bridgestones that came on the car are new and loud even at 20 mph. Im in the process of replacing with Continental touring tires.
I would go with John U's advice first and use foam noise deadening sheets that is really sticky backed. Look on Amazon and read the reviews on the many materials they sell. Take note of the ones that stick well. Pick one that is thick foam not the thin foil backed stuff. Im going to do the same after I get the new tires. Please post how you made out.
Old 11-29-20, 06:25 AM
brucelee1
Racer

I am starting with pulling the plastic covers off the wheel wells and spraying heavily with Boom Mat spray since it is mostly tire noise that I hear (no rattles and very little winds noise). I had thought about the Zielbart as well, which I will hold as an option.
Thanks for the input.

Old 11-29-20, 06:45 AM
jmdav89
Pit Crew

This is a helpful video on taking inside of doors apart if you go that far.
By the way I see you are in Mass. closest Ziebart is on Rt 9 just east of Worchester. The stuff leaves an odor for a couple days but goes away. You need to call ahead and they only do it on a dry day. They dont spray it in the wheel wells so best you are doing it.

Old 11-29-20, 06:54 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Thanks, What did you pay for the Ziebart?
Old 11-29-20, 07:49 AM
jmdav89
Pit Crew

I think it was about $500 in 2018. They did a reapplication at no charge 6 months later.
Old 11-29-20, 12:31 PM
John U
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jmdav89
. Im in the process of replacing with Continental touring tires.
Good call. I'm putting Contintental TrueContact Touring on my ES 350 in the spring. I just drove 31 hours cross country with a new set on my Honda Odyssey. Happy I went with them over another set of Michelins that wore out early..... I did get a $77 per tire credit towards replacement tires of my choice.

Beware some roads are just noisey (even new roads) no matter what you run.... On I80 thru Nebraska I needed my ear plugs.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=236
Old 12-04-20, 04:51 AM
jmdav89
Pit Crew

Ive decided to coat my wheel wells with Spectrum Noise and Vibration coating. Its a thick paint like substance that is water soluble till it drys and low odor. Im going to try to brush it on in several coats. The temperature needs to be 50 so this may take a while. There are a few youtube videos and here is the company one....
Old 12-04-20, 05:50 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Thanks much.

I am 3/4 done coating the trunk floor with Boom Mat (ran out). That has already seemed to make a slight difference, Have to wait for warmer weather to do the wheel wells.

Quick Reply: The Silent Car Initiative