ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Oil needs changed interval ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-20, 10:10 AM
w84me
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Oil needs changed interval ?

After resetting the oil needs changed light, how many miles pass before it turns back on?
The following users liked this post:
dknights (06-26-21)
Old 12-05-20, 12:35 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 960 Likes on 724 Posts

4500 miles.
Old 12-05-20, 12:39 PM
w84me
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
4500 miles.
thank you. seems like I just changed it, which is why I was asking. gotta start writing this stuff down!
Old 12-05-20, 03:04 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 180 Likes on 128 Posts

Put synthetic, and change it every other time you reset light or once a year.
ESh (12-06-20)
Old 12-06-20, 05:46 AM
Zereldo
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I didn't know the 5th gen ES has a oil change reminder light/message. I change my oil every 6,000 to 7,000 KMs or 6 months (whichever comes first) with Penzoil Ultra Plat. I know I change them earlier than advised, but I'm following the manual, albeit that interval is based on non-synthetic oil. I want the car to last me years to come, and I make sure I'm on top of all the maintenance.

Should I perhaps be changing it less often? I don't mind spending extra time and money to change oil on a more frequent basis, but I also do not want to be wasteful.
Old 12-06-20, 05:52 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,150 Likes on 981 Posts

You are changing your oil too often and wasting money and resources. Any modern non-synthetic oil can easily go 5,000 miles (8,000 KM). If you are using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum you can go the Lexus recommended oil change interval of 10,000 miles (16,000 KM) with no problems.

Don't forget to change your transmission fluid every 50,000 miles or so if you plan to keep it a long time. But that has been covered in other threads and is subject to much argument about whether it is even needed. I just think a simple drain and fill done cold which does about 2 quarts will help it last longer.
Zereldo (12-06-20)
Old 12-06-20, 06:05 AM
Zereldo
Driver

Originally Posted by Clutchless
You are changing your oil too often and wasting money and resources. Any modern non-synthetic oil can easily go 5,000 miles (8,000 KM). If you are using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum you can go the Lexus recommended oil change interval of 10,000 miles (16,000 KM) with no problems.

Don't forget to change your transmission fluid every 50,000 miles or so if you plan to keep it a long time. But that has been covered in other threads and is subject to much argument about whether it is even needed. I just think a simple drain and fill done cold which does about 2 quarts will help it last longer.
Noted. I purcahsed the car at 133,000 KMs, It's closing 170,000 KMs now. I had the transmission fluid drain and refill service done earlier this year. As far as I know, it was not serviced previously. I ended up changing all the fluids in the car along with spark plugs.

16,000 KMs b/w oil change? I don't think I have the heart drive it that much without an oil change. My 2018 XJL has oil change interval of 25,000 KMs or a year, but I change it every 6 months anyway. The Jaguar's engine is more susceptible to heat soak due to the supercharger, hence I do not follow the suggested interval for various fluid change and do them more frequently.
Old 12-06-20, 06:08 AM
Zereldo
Driver

I'll keep that in mind though, it's nice to know that I can get away with 16,000 KMs b/w oil change. Thanks!
Old 12-06-20, 07:06 AM
Clutchless

I actually usually change it about every 7,500 miles as a sort of compromise. I do think that most of the wear is in the final 2,000 miles. It also depends on the type of driving you do. City driving is harder on the engine and oil than long highway trips.
If you only did one transmission drain and fill, I would do another one soon as it only takes out 2 of the 7 quarts in the transmission.
Old 12-06-20, 08:41 AM
w84me
Intermediate

I just gave my transmission the best flush ever due to leakage. 1st I flushed by just draining. went thru 2 gallons doing this. then did an actual pan removal. got a leak, did it again. got a leak, finally got steel gasket from dealer. think that solved the leak, but then discovered, I may not have been leaking, but blowing trans fluid out the breather tube that goes up near the front of the engine.

Have I been over filling this whole time? I have seen people say fill to top of fill hole at 150 deg, which I did. last time, I did even less than that, since I new it takes about 2 gallons to fill up, I only did 1.75. (I think the gallon is actuall 3.7L or something close to that) anway, still leaking, but after driving it stopped. that is when I inspected closer, and the leak seems to be from the breather (or what ever that thing is called)

Am I over filling the trans ???
Old 12-06-20, 01:48 PM
Clutchless

w94me - you have been way overfilling the transmission. This is not filled like a manual transmission where, as you did, you fill it until it runs out the fill hole. The transmission only holds about 7 quarts. There is an overflow tube inside the drain hole that is monitored for overflow at a certain temp and that is how the level is checked.

The reason it blew fluid out the breather is you overfilled it. Read how to change it the right way in this link from the RX350 forum as it uses the same transmission, as do many other Toyota & Lexus vehicles. There is no real difference between the AWD RX and FWD except that AWD holds a tiny bit more fluid.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...oler-100k.html

For more info read this long thread in the RX forum about changing your ATF. It mostly covers doing a simple drain and fill as opposed to a fluid exchange. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...hreads-37.html

Then see this youtube channel from a Toyota Master Tech who explains how to change the ATF, as do many others on youtube. He shows how to check the level without a temp. scanner.

However your fluid level is so screwed up you need to follow the Toyota/Lexus temperature based procedure or the one shown by a Toyota Tech on youtube

Last edited by Clutchless; 12-06-20 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-07-20, 05:52 AM
danielnas
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Zereldo
Noted. I purcahsed the car at 133,000 KMs, It's closing 170,000 KMs now. I had the transmission fluid drain and refill service done earlier this year. As far as I know, it was not serviced previously. I ended up changing all the fluids in the car along with spark plugs.

16,000 KMs b/w oil change? I don't think I have the heart drive it that much without an oil change. My 2018 XJL has oil change interval of 25,000 KMs or a year, but I change it every 6 months anyway. The Jaguar's engine is more susceptible to heat soak due to the supercharger, hence I do not follow the suggested interval for various fluid change and do them more frequently.
Do not change your oil at 16k intervals if you care about your engine. Im changing mine every 8000 km with Penzoil ultra platinum and have 177000 on the odo. The car runs flawlessly
Zereldo (12-07-20)
Old 12-07-20, 06:49 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 960 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by danielnas
Do not change your oil at 16k intervals if you care about your engine. Im changing mine every 8000 km with Penzoil ultra platinum and have 177000 on the odo. The car runs flawlessly

With those better oils like TGMO, M1 EP and so on you can drive 10000 miles and the oil will be like new. Ask me how I know.

Last edited by ESh; 12-07-20 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-07-20, 10:41 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 180 Likes on 128 Posts

Official OCI is 5k miles as per manual, but many people (including Lexus dealers) believe its acceptable to run synthetic for 10k miles
Old 12-07-20, 11:14 AM
w84me
Intermediate

w94me - you have been way overfilling the transmission. This is not filled like a manual transmission where, as you did, you fill it until it runs out the fill hole. The transmission only holds about 7 quarts. There is an overflow tube inside the drain hole that is monitored for overflow at a certain temp and that is how the level is checked.

The reason it blew fluid out the breather is you overfilled it. Read how to change it the right way in this link from the RX350 forum as it uses the same transmission, as do many other Toyota & Lexus vehicles. There is no real difference between the AWD RX and FWD except that AWD holds a tiny bit more fluid.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...oler-100k.html

For more info read this long thread in the RX forum about changing your ATF. It mostly covers doing a simple drain and fill as opposed to a fluid exchange. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...hreads-37.html

Then see this youtube channel from a Toyota Master Tech who explains how to change the ATF, as do many others on youtube. He shows how to check the level without a temp. scanner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRxSu4-4ojo&t=21s

However your fluid level is so screwed up you need to follow the Toyota/Lexus temperature based procedure or the one shown by a Toyota Tech on youtube
Whoa! that is way different procedure than I have ever seen. that is a crazy way to check fluid level !! Thanks for setting me straight. I have a tool that will measure fluid temp thru the OBD port. can I just use that, leave the car in Park while under it and pull the plug until the trickle starts flowing? that makes it a one man operation????

I'm pretty sure another way I could do this is just drain. if more than 3 qts come out, than then just put 3 only back in. that jives up with what I saw on my first drain and what he found over here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...with-pics.html

Quick Reply: Oil needs changed interval ?