ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

key fob can get locked in car even with new batteries in fob

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-20, 07:15 PM
tnrod
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key fob can get locked in car even with new batteries in fob

Hello I have a 2011 I just bought last month at 85,000 miles. It’s in really good condition however I’ve discovered I can lock my keys in the trunk/car (had to catch a Lyft home to get my spare fob. Locksmith wanted 120+). Took it to the dealer today and even they were stumped. Fob starts car, opens doors when I walk up etc. just fine (the spare as well). Has anyone else had this problem?

To have a Lexus that you can get the keys locked into is decently vexing. I had a ‘93 maxima and ‘98 EB Explorer with keyless entry. Never once had this problem. Anybody know what’s going on? TIA.
Old 12-08-20, 06:19 PM
danielnas
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tnrod
Hello I have a 2011 I just bought last month at 85,000 miles. It’s in really good condition however I’ve discovered I can lock my keys in the trunk/car (had to catch a Lyft home to get my spare fob. Locksmith wanted 120+). Took it to the dealer today and even they were stumped. Fob starts car, opens doors when I walk up etc. just fine (the spare as well). Has anyone else had this problem?

To have a Lexus that you can get the keys locked into is decently vexing. I had a ‘93 maxima and ‘98 EB Explorer with keyless entry. Never once had this problem. Anybody know what’s going on? TIA.
that's the way it is with this car. When you turn the car off and open the door once and close it your doors will lock after a minute or so. Don't leave the fob inside. If I'm not mistaken you can turn automatic lock off in techstream software. But not a good idea. The car won't lock itself if you forget locking it with the fob after exiting.
Old 12-08-20, 07:27 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I dont think you are supposed to be able to lock the car with the fob in car or trunk if everything is working correctly. It is supposed to sounds an alarm and shouldn't let you lock. The auto lock works if a door is not opened within approximately 60 seconds after the vehicle is unlocked, the anti-theft system automatically locks the vehicle again.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
key.pdf (43.2 KB, 43 views)
Old 12-08-20, 09:23 PM
tnrod
7th Gear

Originally Posted by nevernu
I dont think you are supposed to be able to lock the car with the fob in car or trunk if everything is working correctly. It is supposed to sounds an alarm and shouldn't let you lock. The auto lock works if a door is not opened within approximately 60 seconds after the vehicle is unlocked, the anti-theft system automatically locks the vehicle again.

This is correct. The main appeal of the key fob is for it to not be able to lock itself inside the car. The guy at the dealership mentioned oscillators but after looking that up, I don’t see how that would coincide with the car detecting the key is still inside the car.

They’re asking $180 for a diagnostic fee but the guy in the service dept. wasn’t sure what the problem was besides the oscillators he mentioned. I’d rather not burn $180+ for nothing. Has anyone heard of any Lexus that used a key fob doing this?
Old 12-09-20, 02:13 AM
Zereldo
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tnrod
This is correct. The main appeal of the key fob is for it to not be able to lock itself inside the car. The guy at the dealership mentioned oscillators but after looking that up, I don’t see how that would coincide with the car detecting the key is still inside the car.

They’re asking $180 for a diagnostic fee but the guy in the service dept. wasn’t sure what the problem was besides the oscillators he mentioned. I’d rather not burn $180+ for nothing. Has anyone heard of any Lexus that used a key fob doing this?
I don't believe that the car locks if key is detected in the cabin or trunk.

I have not tested but recall leaving the keys in the trunk by accident and there was an audible long *beep* and I was able to open the trunk using the button on the trunk lid.

I also tried locking the car while the engine was running, and then again with the secondary key inside and the main key in my hand at a distance from the car. I wanted the ability to start my car in winter and not worry about anyone entering the vehicle. This didn't work.

I will try locking the car with secondary key inside the cabin and engine switched off and get back to you.
Old 12-11-20, 01:09 PM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you lock the car first and then open the trunk and then shut the trunk accidentally leaving the fob in the trunk? Please explain the sequence of events in more detail.
Old 12-11-20, 01:41 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 863 Likes on 651 Posts
Default Smart Access ES350

Here is more info on the key system
Attached Files
Old 12-11-20, 09:21 PM
tnrod
7th Gear

Originally Posted by overclock
Did you lock the car first and then open the trunk and then shut the trunk accidentally leaving the fob in the trunk? Please explain the sequence of events in more detail.
I walked up to the car (after auto lock) with my key in my jacket pocket. I use the smart access button to open the trunk and it pops open. My jacket is in the bag I just put in the trunk. The trunk does not “beep” to let you know the key is in the trunk. I can no longer open the trunk (or any doors). It’s as if I don’t have the key on me even though it’s in the trunk which would normally allow it to reopen.

Does anyone know exactly how the key communicates with the car? What could cause the system to fail? Perhaps this something that can happen to any 5th gen eventually?
Old 12-11-20, 09:32 PM
tnrod
7th Gear

Originally Posted by mcomer
Here is more info on the key system
I just saw this attachment. It goes into more detail about the oscillators function than what I read previously. I’m able to lock the key in the car no matter where it is.I test this by lowering the front window and pressing lock on the door (this way I’m not really locked out). Still no beeps.
Old 12-12-20, 06:25 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 863 Likes on 651 Posts

The system locks and unlocks two (2) different ways.
1) Key fob is present and you a) touch the outside door handle b) press a fob button
These actions lock or unlock the car and arm or disarm the alarm
2) Key fob is not present and you a) press the inside door handle lock button b) manually press the lock "rocker"
These actions will lock or unlock the car but do not arm the alarm
Note: tnrod's trial of reaching through the window (or bad guy busts said window!) while locked and armed...inside power unlock is inop
Remember the alarm feature takes a minute to arm itself after step 1) above.
Old 12-12-20, 08:51 PM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Note also the car will lock if you unlock it via the key fob button but then don't open any of the doors after a minute or so. This is true even if the car wasn't locked in the first place.
The following users liked this post:
mcomer (12-23-20)