ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Low oil level, low oil preasure issue constantly knocking my 2gr engine.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-20, 03:44 AM
Great
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low oil level, low oil preasure issue constantly knocking my 2gr engine.

Hello all, merry christmas and happy new year in advance.
to me, christmas has become horrific as i have spent more than enough fortune trying to fix my lexus engine which developed some issues about a month ago. my Es350 2010 model developed an unusual issue which made the engine knock, (there was oil and water when it knocked)
the car was carried to a professional mechanic workshop who said the crankshaft along side some metals were bad. the crankshaft was replaced with the metals and he attest to me that everything had gone back to how it was before the knocking happened. still i notice the dashboard saying LOW OIL LEVEL. the engine sounded perfect though, the crazy thing was about two hours drive the engine knocked again, he repeated thesame solution this time also changing the oil pump. after a while the engine knocked for the third time which got me really frustrated. the engine was fixed and returned to the car for the 4th time, then i noticed myself that the LOW OIL PRESSURE on the dashboard could be the issue. it seems the car sizes oil supply whenever the engine is hot. cos if i start the car in the morning, the engine sounds nice and perfect until after 30mins then i begin to hear an unusual knocking sound from the engine. help help! if there's any possible answer on what could be wrong with the engine.
Old 12-30-20, 11:44 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

To be honest, it doesn't sound like your mechanic knows what they are doing. Sounds like they are simply throwing parts at the issue and costing you a small fortune.

Try googling 'engine knock'. Lots of things can cause it that can be checked without pulling the engine apart. Do you have any codes? Is the oil level right? - What does the dip stick say?
The following users liked this post:
Hayk (12-30-20)
Old 12-30-20, 12:52 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 759 Posts

Crank bearings could be bad.

He should remove the oil pressure sensor and measure the pressure with the pressure gauge manually, when hot and cold.
The following users liked this post:
Hayk (12-30-20)
Old 12-30-20, 01:03 PM
Great
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay thank you, i'll ask for error codes and get back to you asap
Old 12-30-20, 01:59 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

Any chance you can get a lightly used engine?

From my experience the oil pump is only used for moving oil around the engine, it does NOT build pressure. Pressure is created in the bearings and tiny passages.

If your crankshaft bearings are worn out, it would create a knocking sound and cause the issues you’re describing. However usually the knocking would be worse when it’s cold not when it’s hot cause metal expands when it’s hot and clearances get smaller/tighter.

I agree I think this mechanic is not equipped/trained on how to properly fix your engine. Engine rebuilds require a lot to specialized equipment and experience. I would advise to look into a replacement engine or car.
Old 12-30-20, 03:24 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Knocking is more likely rod bearings than crankshaft bearings. Either way, a knocking sound is a swan song, aka death knell for any engine. The problem is most likely the result of running the engine low on oil. Your mechanic is yanking your chain if he is trying to fix this without a complete re-build. Better than a rebuild (as an earlier poster suggested) is a good, used, engine with a warranty and documentation on its miles-driven.