Clicking/Ticking noise on motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-21, 03:04 PM
DannyBx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking/Ticking noise on motor

Hey guys

So my 2007 ES 350, roughly 60k mi has a ticking sound coming from the motor, but only on acceleration. And louder when it's cold. I purchased the car last year (1/20/20) with 32k mi. So obviously I put approximately 27k (highway) mi in a year. So my question is does anyone know what this could be? I've taken it to my mechanic a few times, and every single time, the car doesn't make the damn noise smh. I use premium gas from Sam's club, but I've also used gas from other stations, so I don't think it's a gas station thing. Anyone has any idea what this can be?
Old 01-28-21, 10:18 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,040 Likes on 774 Posts

Can you make a video and post it here?
Old 01-29-21, 04:12 AM
jeremy93ls
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it's just noisy valves. My '09 is noisy until it reached normal temperature. If the engine cover is off, it's even louder.
The following users liked this post:
tronimrich (01-29-21)
Old 01-29-21, 09:14 AM
tronimrich
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree with the noisy valves post. Does the ticking/clicking/clattering go away once the car has reached operating temperature? When thermometer is in the middle and its been on for 15+ minutes? Sound like a diesel almost?

If the sound goes away when the car is warm, chances are the sound you're hearing is cold start piston slapping. This is thought of as an annoying sound but not a harmful problem with the engine. Piston slapping cars can last just as long as non slappers given comparable maintenance.

Here are some samples of piston slap clicking/ticking/clattering occuring during the first 10-15 minutes of engine operation after a cold start

<< typical piston slap of the 2gr-fe engine present in the ES, RX350, highlander, RAV4 V6, Avalon
<< probably the most severe example

Old 01-30-21, 07:13 AM
DannyBx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
Can you make a video and post it here?
yes, I'm gonna make a video today. I just haven't been outside with these frigid weathers here in OC NY.
Old 01-30-21, 07:14 AM
DannyBx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tronimrich
I agree with the noisy valves post. Does the ticking/clicking/clattering go away once the car has reached operating temperature? When thermometer is in the middle and its been on for 15+ minutes? Sound like a diesel almost?

If the sound goes away when the car is warm, chances are the sound you're hearing is cold start piston slapping. This is thought of as an annoying sound but not a harmful problem with the engine. Piston slapping cars can last just as long as non slappers given comparable maintenance.

Here are some samples of piston slap clicking/ticking/clattering occuring during the first 10-15 minutes of engine operation after a cold start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggZOuJWgBPA << typical piston slap of the 2gr-fe engine present in the ES, RX350, highlander, RAV4 V6, Avalon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN0VA5L1b1w << probably the most severe example
Yeah, I would definitely say it sounds like the tip video. Very annoying.
Old 01-31-21, 10:55 AM
tronimrich
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

TLDR: Not a big deal, always let your car warm up before driving to let the oil reach from the pan to the valves

Piston slap is somethng you can't correct without basically rebuilding the engine

It is also something that won't negatively affect the lifespan of the vehicle, as long as you always let your car get warmed up before jumping on the throttle. After a night of the car sitting, I let my car warm up for 10 minutes before I first drive it, and make sure I don't go over 2,000 rpm before thermometer reaches mid point

Basically piston slap occurs because the oil needs to make its way up through the engine from the pan to the valves.

Old 01-31-21, 11:10 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,040 Likes on 774 Posts

You can’t fix the piston slap even if you rebuild the engine. Those engines use short-skirt pistons that are smaller than they normaly should be but when they heat up they expand and then they are fit.
Because of the size and to prevent noise when the engine is cold the pistons are teflon coated.

Last edited by ESh; 02-01-21 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-17-21, 11:01 PM
Benjammin5
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DannyBx
Hey guys

So my 2007 ES 350, roughly 60k mi has a ticking sound coming from the motor, but only on acceleration. And louder when it's cold. I purchased the car last year (1/20/20) with 32k mi. So obviously I put approximately 27k (highway) mi in a year. So my question is does anyone know what this could be? I've taken it to my mechanic a few times, and every single time, the car doesn't make the damn noise smh. I use premium gas from Sam's club, but I've also used gas from other stations, so I don't think it's a gas station thing. Anyone has any idea what this can be?
my 07 did this. Sounded like a diesel until the engine got to operating temperature. I started using marvel mystery oil in the oil changes and the sound is almost completely gone now. The MMO quieted the noise down by 90% percent within 100 miles of the first oil change I used it in. 3 oil changes later and it's just a very faint sound now on cold start ups and only lasts a few minutes. I also started running MMO in my gas tank at fillups. It instantly made my car idle smoother with better responsiveness. Try MMO it's awesome stuff.