Speakers not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-21, 03:54 PM
Zereldo
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Speakers not working

2010 ES 350

Heard a loud pop sound from the rear left side (most likely the rear left door speaker, or could be the rear deck speaker- behind the rear headrests) and I immediately knew that the speaker are not going to work.

I had this issue 2 years ago when a bottle of anti freeze leaked into the trunk (not a large amount). I cleaned everything and put a pillow size silica gel pack in the trunk.

Heard the same pop everytime I turned the car on and the speakers didn't work. Occasionally the speakers did work and I figured that the pop dictated if they did and didn't work and this was settled when the car was started.

After a month or so, the sound went away and the speaker were working as they should.

I have not been driving the car lately, it is parked outside and I start it once or twice a week and drive it for a few KMs around the block. No leaks in the trunk or anywhere in the car.

Today when I started the carx I heard that same pop and now there is no sound.

The radio (basic version - no display) display is turning on, I can tune to different radio station, connect bluetooth, etc. No sound on any mode.

I would really like to take care if this issue, but I'm not entirely confident fidling with car electronics. Has anyone had this experience? What is end solution?

Any input is appreciated,

Cheers!

Old 02-17-21, 03:48 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,157 Likes on 987 Posts

In the winter if you are not driving it much you are better off taking it for a 30 minute ride every 2 weeks to get it nice and hot and burn the water out of the exhaust system. The water is the result of a cold engine and it takes a while to heat up enough to burn it all off. If you notice cars in the winter with water dripping out of the exhaust, that tells you they have yet to warm up completely.

Your speaker issue may be a result of the cold, or a bad connection, as you state it went away then stopped working again. I would check the wiring to the speakers inside the trunk. It may be visible. Pulling the door panel off is probably beyond your skill set, but a car stereo may be able to help determine which speaker is bad.

Or You may have a short in the speaker voice coil. In that case, The best bet may be to get some used speakers on eBay. Installing new speakers in the back deck is not hard, there may be youtube videos. Pulling the door panel is not that much more difficult and there are probably videos on that too, if not for the ES than for the Camry which is about the same.
Old 02-19-21, 09:11 PM
Zereldo
Driver

Originally Posted by Clutchless
In the winter if you are not driving it much you are better off taking it for a 30 minute ride every 2 weeks to get it nice and hot and burn the water out of the exhaust system. The water is the result of a cold engine and it takes a while to heat up enough to burn it all off. If you notice cars in the winter with water dripping out of the exhaust, that tells you they have yet to warm up completely.

Your speaker issue may be a result of the cold, or a bad connection, as you state it went away then stopped working again. I would check the wiring to the speakers inside the trunk. It may be visible. Pulling the door panel off is probably beyond your skill set, but a car stereo may be able to help determine which speaker is bad.

Or You may have a short in the speaker voice coil. In that case, The best bet may be to get some used speakers on eBay. Installing new speakers in the back deck is not hard, there may be youtube videos. Pulling the door panel is not that much more difficult and there are probably videos on that too, if not for the ES than for the Camry which is about the same.
Noted, thanks for the great tip!

The car only has parking insurance so I take it around the residential block at 40/50 KM/H for 5-10 minutes in S gear.

I have pulled the front door cards off in the past to replace sideview mirror housings, so comfortable removing the door cards. I can't say the same about wiring, or what to look for exactly; a bad connection? Broken wire? Splice and check current?

Based on the past forum posts I found that highlight the issue, it is the amplifier that needs replacing. I believe it is located under the trunk carpeting (closer to the back of the rear seats).

I don't want to buy an amplifier or speakers without knowing exactly what needs replacing. Taking it to Toyota/Lexus may not be the best decision as it is wiring/speaker related and taking it to a stereo shop may end up being cheaper. I reckon Lexus will recommend replacing everything the tech suspects is wrong.

Used amplifiers are around $300-$500. Given it is the amplifier, I would prefer installing an aftermarket unit that isn't prone to breaking as I suspect the OEM Lexus are.

Again, I know little to nothing about amplifiers and speaker systems. I like the basic stereo in my base model ES 350 and not looking to upgrade it.

Last edited by Zereldo; 02-19-21 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-20-21, 06:29 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,157 Likes on 987 Posts

If you do some searching you will see others have had failed amplifiers. I found this searching "amplifier" https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-location.html

Sticking with replacing the stock amp is probably the least labor intensive way, but consulting a car stereo shop may be a good idea.

Regarding speaker connections I was only referring to what is easily visible, a broken wire connection at the speaker terminals. If the voice coil is blown, then you need to replace it.
The following users liked this post:
Zereldo (02-20-21)
Old 03-20-21, 03:37 PM
Zereldo
Driver

Default Update

Boosted the car today as the battery was unable to crank the engine. I believe the battery might be due for a change. On the upside, the speakers started working as they should. On the downside, it will make diagnosis a bit tricky.

Last edited by Zereldo; 03-20-21 at 11:26 PM.