ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2007 ES350 Suspension Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-21, 06:48 PM
Robeconrad
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 ES350 Suspension Replacement

How expensive does it start getting when you start replacing shocks and struts? Is this a 2 or 3 thousand dollar job at a professional shop?

My Es350 has 121,000 miles on it and drives really smoothly. But I feel like it could absorb bumps better. No suspension noises yet...

What normal sort of suspension work should be done around 120k miles?

I love this car but it's cost me a ton of money having it professionally worked on and brought up to speed. Previous owner did maintenence but didn't do the expensive maintenence (of course). Since I bought this car I've put at least 4k in it in maintenance costs. New tires, serp belt, spark plugs, air filter, all new rotors and pads front and back, all fluids changed including tranny, tcm reset and update, etc..

Currently it runs like a dream. All this money I've spent and I have no regrets. Now I need to start looking at suspension maintenence.

Old 04-12-21, 07:17 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

I personally haven’t used a professional for suspension work but I would guess it’s a $2000 job if you use OEM parts.

OEM struts is the only ones I would ever put on my 5ES as the car rides incredibly well and I would hate to compromise that feeling with some generic KYB parts.

If the suspension is not noisy is the car leaning a lot when you change direction or take a sharp turn? Is the body diving forward under heavy braking or feel like the rear end squats under acceleration? Are any of the struts covered in oil from top to bottom? If you don’t notice any of this and the car rides okay, I would hold off on replacing any parts.

Old 04-12-21, 07:26 PM
Robeconrad
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hayk
I personally haven’t used a professional for suspension work but I would guess it’s a $2000 job if you use OEM parts.

OEM struts is the only ones I would ever put on my 5ES as the car rides incredibly well and I would hate to compromise that feeling with some generic KYB parts.

If the suspension is not noisy is the car leaning a lot when you change direction or take a sharp turn? Is the body diving forward under heavy braking or feel like the rear end squats under acceleration? Are any of the struts covered in oil from top to bottom? If you don’t notice any of this and the car rides okay, I would hold off on replacing any parts.
Yeah im not noticing any issues with the how the vehicle handles on corners. I did notice a little diving forward under a heavy braking incident tonight.. But that could of been normal. I just feel like when I go over rough roads it could handle the roughness a little bit better. I wonder if I could replace just the front suspension parts of the car and notice improvement?

I believe the only things that might need to be replaced evenrually are shock and strut related. I just had an inspection and they didn't mention anything about the suspension. At this point replacing parts are just for more enjoyment of the drive and not something that actually needs to be done.
Old 04-13-21, 09:49 AM
w84me
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

suspensions on these cars are very easy to work on. find a good independent mechanic to save some money.
Old 04-13-21, 03:14 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Quick struts would probably run about $1,200 all around out the door at a localmechanic. I had Toyota replace just the struts alone on mine and the price was nearly the same. They ended up using aftermarket parts (I had requested oem) and it rode like an accord after. I'd consider keeping the struts if you like the ride as it is.
Old 04-13-21, 04:36 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,172 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Buy the OEM struts, and get the OEM strut mount bearings for the front, from one of the online discount Lexus dealers. Also, get the front sway bar end links as they have to be cut off half the time due to rust. The end links can be aftermarket, so you can save some money.
Then take it to any local independent shop that allows you to bring your own parts. Strut suspensions have been around for 60 years and are the same on all cars. Any shop has done thousands of them and can do yours for far less than a dealer. Besides this is the same as the Camry and several other Toyota & Lexus models that share the same chassis.
You will need an alignment afterward.
Old 03-04-22, 12:18 AM
loliwin55
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Labor hours

How any labor hours for this part only
Also, get the front sway bar end links as they have to be cut off half the time due to rust. The end links can be aftermarket, so you can save some money.”

cuz I already got struts and the back are still making noise on speed bumps and cracks
Old 03-05-22, 10:17 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by loliwin55
How any labor hours for this part only
Also, get the front sway bar end links as they have to be cut off half the time due to rust. The end links can be aftermarket, so you can save some money.”

cuz I already got struts and the back are still making noise on speed bumps and cracks
Sway bar end links take maybe 0.5 hours for both sides in a professional environment, not sure about the flat rate though.

Have you had the noise diagnosed by a professional? What struts did you use?
Old 03-06-22, 09:13 PM
loliwin55
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Struts

Originally Posted by Hayk
Sway bar end links take maybe 0.5 hours for both sides in a professional environment, not sure about the flat rate though.

Have you had the noise diagnosed by a professional? What struts did you use?
fcs in front and kyb in the back. I seem to only hear any noise on the rear. I’m wondering if I need to do some bushings. Where can I take the car to get it inspected to find out for sure what needs to be replaced to reduce the noises and road feel / noise. I feel like it’s some bushings from what I read , but which I’m not sure.