ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES to replace Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-21, 07:08 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Default ES to replace Acura TL

So I traded my Honda for a 2007 Acura TL. It's a big improvement over the Accord but I'm still not satisfied. I was strongly considering a 2004 ES but went with the Acura, so now I'm having buyers remorse.

Which might have ended up being a good thing. This could give me a bit more time to research what I really want.

I've been thinking about the next gen ES. I would skip the early model years and go for a 2011 or 2012. What can you people tell me about this vs the 2004-2006 models? Is it just as smooth and quiet? That's actually a big problem I'm having in the Acura.

Thanks.
Old 04-29-21, 07:42 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
So I traded my Honda for a 2007 Acura TL. It's a big improvement over the Accord but I'm still not satisfied. I was strongly considering a 2004 ES but went with the Acura, so now I'm having buyers remorse.

Which might have ended up being a good thing. This could give me a bit more time to research what I really want.

I've been thinking about the next gen ES. I would skip the early model years and go for a 2011 or 2012. What can you people tell me about this vs the 2004-2006 models? Is it just as smooth and quiet? That's actually a big problem I'm having in the Acura.

Thanks.
I have a 2010 and it’s one of the most comfortable cars I’ve ever driven. The NVH isolation is superb. The body panel gaps are sealed off with multiple seals, the windows and doors are nice and flush with no wind noise. The seats are ultra cushy and soft. The suspension is smooth and compliant, isolating you from any rattle or harsh shock. Steering is light and effortless.

Its really amazing how good the ride is without going to air suspension.

I have a 3ES 97-01 and it’s a night and day transformation. I know for the 4th generation, Lexus went hard on improving the comfort but I’ve heard a lot of negative feedback about the transmission response on those years. The 5th gen seems to do better with shifting as long as you skip the first few years.
Old 08-01-21, 11:57 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Okay, awesome. I've checked out a few 2010-2012 models and I know what to look for.

Regarding right comfort, I want the smoothest ride possible. Another user tried to explain it to me on this forum but I was kind of confused. If I find a set of wheels and tires at a junkyard or offerup, what should I look for in order to make sure they fit these 2010-2012 ES 350's? He said something about offset, bore size, etc. but I still don't really know. I'd be trying to go with 16 inch wheels, so probably the 215 60R16
Old 08-02-21, 11:14 PM
Zereldo
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Okay, awesome. I've checked out a few 2010-2012 models and I know what to look for.

Regarding right comfort, I want the smoothest ride possible. Another user tried to explain it to me on this forum but I was kind of confused. If I find a set of wheels and tires at a junkyard or offerup, what should I look for in order to make sure they fit these 2010-2012 ES 350's? He said something about offset, bore size, etc. but I still don't really know. I'd be trying to go with 16 inch wheels, so probably the 215 60R16
I'll try again.

Centre Bore: This is the diameter (opening) in the very middle of the wheels. The ES 350's OEM wheels have a center bore of 60.1 mm. If you decided to shop for non Toyota/Lexus wheels, find out what the center bore is. If the center bore is larger than 60.1 mm, then you can simply buy hub rings. If the center bore is smaller than 60.1 mm, then you're best off looking elsewhere. It's not worth the hassle to machine the center bore to a larger size.

Bolt pattern: Distance between each lug hole in a circular pattern. The ES 350 is 5x114.3 (5 meaning 5 holes, 114.3 mm is the spacing b/w said lug holes). Wheels with a different bolt pattern than 5x114.3 will not fit. You can use wheel adapter to fit for instance 5x120 bolt pattern wheels to your ES but it is not advisable.

Offset: Measurement that dictates where your wheel sits (horizontally, X axis) in the wheel well. Lower the offset value, more the wheel will "stick out". On the other hand, a higher offset value will push the wheels in the body. The ES 350 OEM offset is 42, 45, 48 depending on which wheel style and size was optioned with the vehicle. You should aim to get as close as possible given this is your first time buying wheels. You may go as low as 40 or as high as 50. Going further lower or higher on the offset value may still work but there is a possibility of running into issues.

These 3 bits of information can be found by studying the numbers embossed (or etched on forged wheels) on the back side (inner side) of the wheels, typically on the wheel spokes. If you buy original Lexus wheels with the correct bolt pattern, then you almost guarantee fitment.

The tire size you're aiming for: 215 60 R16 will work.

I would advise against buying used wheels from a junkyard for many many reasons. That is your call to make as I do not know your financial situation but it is best to find new, like new, or lightly used tires from private sellers if you must have best bang for your buck and confident in determining condition of the tires.

To recap. Bolt pattern is very important and dictates if the wheels will fit your car or not. Offset, if it's close to that of OEM wheels, they will fit. Center bore can be modified if it's larger than OEM wheels but not if it's smaller. 215 60 r16 will work with your car. Try to find new tires on sale, avoid buying used as you dont know the history of the tires. If you can verify the manufacturing date of the tires (DOT code), measure the tread depth and determine no uneven and or abnormal wear in addition to patches (especially in the side wall) then search away.

Happy to answer any questions.

Good luck!

Last edited by Zereldo; 08-02-21 at 11:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zereldo:
Wilson2000 (08-04-21), xjokerz (08-22-21)
Old 08-22-21, 10:22 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Thank you very much, Zereldo. Sorry for not reading this post until just now; I must have deleted the notification in my email.

This really clears it up as far as the definitions go. I'm not the slightest bit good with cars, which is a big reason why I'm looking into an ES for the next 10-15 years! This did give me a good lesson that I can carry with me in the future. I'm glad that 16's work with this car. This will help ensure I get an even smoother ride which is exactly what I want.

You're also right about junkyard tires. I can afford new tires and wheels and I would get everything else that comes with it (warranty, rotations, repair, experts ensuring they are on correctly, etc.). Saving a little bit by cheapening out on such an important purchase is not worth it.

Again, a big thank you for your help.