ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Interior Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-21, 08:32 AM
Funkdawg
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Interior Refresh

Just dropped off the wife’s car for it to be cleaned and detailed by a local company called AI Autoworks.
I used them to clean and detail then replace the headliner in a ‘03 VW Jetta I had for 17 years before selling it to a co-worker before buying another vehicle.

Looking forward to the end result later on today.

Last edited by Funkdawg; 06-16-21 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-16-21, 09:39 PM
vbacky
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before & after pics?
Old 06-17-21, 06:52 AM
Funkdawg
Rookie

Originally Posted by vbacky
Before & after pics?
No interior before pictires to post.
En route to pick up the car now.
I'll take some after shots.
Old 06-17-21, 08:17 AM
Funkdawg
Rookie

The interior looks a lot better but there were still some stubborn staining that remains.

Old 06-17-21, 05:17 PM
rickster9
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Funkdawg
The interior looks a lot better but there were still some stubborn staining that remains.
I'm going to wash mines today some time.
The following users liked this post:
Funkdawg (06-23-21)
Old 06-17-21, 09:28 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Funkdawg

Not sure if you’re up to this, but the seatbelt can be unbolted from the seat, pulled out of the car, and power washed or scrubbed by hand. I did that to mine and they look brand new. Looks like yours could use a clean.

As for the carpet stains, rent a Rug Doctor from a home improvement or grocery store with the appropriate cleaner and anti-foaming chemicals. It does an amazing job on carpet stains. A drill brush or a regular stiff bristle brush would also help with pulling the dirt out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hayk:
Funkdawg (06-18-21), Zereldo (06-17-21)
Old 06-17-21, 11:34 PM
Zereldo
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hayk
Not sure if you’re up to this, but the seatbelt can be unbolted from the seat, pulled out of the car, and power washed or scrubbed by hand. I did that to mine and they look brand new. Looks like yours could use a clean.

As for the carpet stains, rent a Rug Doctor from a home improvement or grocery store with the appropriate cleaner and anti-foaming chemicals. It does an amazing job on carpet stains. A drill brush or a regular stiff bristle brush would also help with pulling the dirt out.
I removed the interior trim pieces covering the seatbelt mechanism (B pillar) to get access to the part of the seatbelt that is otherwise inaccessible.

Is it safe to remove seatbelts? Should the battery be disconnected? Will the seatbelts need to be properly torqued back? Or is it just a matter of unboltong, washing and installing back.

While mine are quite clean, I would prefer to soak them into a cleaner. Alternatively I may even entertain the idea of replacing the front seatbelts as they are quite worn.
Funkdawg (06-20-21)
Old 06-19-21, 09:56 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Zereldo
I removed the interior trim pieces covering the seatbelt mechanism (B pillar) to get access to the part of the seatbelt that is otherwise inaccessible.

Is it safe to remove seatbelts? Should the battery be disconnected? Will the seatbelts need to be properly torqued back? Or is it just a matter of unboltong, washing and installing back.

While mine are quite clean, I would prefer to soak them into a cleaner. Alternatively I may even entertain the idea of replacing the front seatbelts as they are quite worn.
There is definitely a torque spec and it's recommended to disconnect the battery for safety. I personally winged it and kept the battery connected and tightened the bolt by feel.

Also, disconnect the belt from the seat bottom not from the B pillar. The B pillar is where the pre-tensioner assembly is so it's much more difficult to remove that way.
Unbolt from the seat bottom and pull the belt all the way out.

Here is the official wording from the repair manual:

Seat Belt Arming and Disarming
Wait at least 90 seconds after the engine switch is turned off and the negative (-) terminal cable is disconnected from the battery before starting the operation.

CAUTION:
* The vehicle is equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS). It consists of a driver airbag, front passenger airbag, driver side knee airbag, front passenger side knee airbag, front side airbag, rear side airbag, curtain shield airbag, front seat belt pretensioner, and rear seat belt pretensioner. Failure to carry out service operations in the correct sequence could cause the SRS to unexpectedly deploy during servicing, possibly leading to a serious accident. Furthermore, if a mistake is made when servicing the SRS, it is possible that the SRS may fail to operate when required. Before performing servicing (including removal or installation of parts, inspection or replacement), be sure to read the following items carefully, then follow the procedures exactly as indicated in the repair manual.

*(The SRS is equipped with a backup power source, so if work is started within 90 seconds after disconnecting the negative (-) terminal cable from the battery, the SRS may be deployed.)

Torque spec

Last edited by Hayk; 06-19-21 at 10:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hayk:
Funkdawg (06-20-21), Zereldo (06-20-21)
Old 06-20-21, 12:35 PM
Funkdawg
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hayk

I just cleaned the driver's side seatbelt just now.
Used a cleaner my wife had called "The Amazung Whip It".
Worked pretty good on the stubborn stains in the carpet.
The seatbelt, not so much.
Also tried Resolve carpet cleaner.
Hayk (06-21-21)