2010 Lexus ES 350 Struts Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-21, 11:07 AM
Zereldo
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 2010 Lexus ES 350 Struts Leaking

Hi,

I have a 2010 Lexus ES 350 and recently discovered that my rear right strut is leaking fluid. I spoke to my mechanics and we concluded that both rear right and left strut assembly with springs should be replaced.

He mentioned that Lexus uses KYB strut assembly and that I could get them online instead of buying from a Toyota/Lexus dealer.

I'm getting this work done within the week and so I have little time to do additional research. I'd like owner's opinion.

Is KYB on par with or the same as OEM parts? Should I look into aftermarket assembly from another brand, perhaps better quality parts?

I'm told that the the KYB struts (Left and Right) will cost ~$500 + $150 labour. I will be calling a Toyota dealership for a quote on the parts aswell..

Thank you for taking the time to read through the post and fir your opinion/recommendations.

Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
Jerseyken (02-14-24)
Old 07-09-21, 12:58 PM
w84me
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

my research and experience along with others inputting their results. good struts, not sure if they are identical to factory tho..... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...options-2.html
Zereldo (07-10-21)
Old 07-09-21, 10:58 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

It’s understandable why a mechanic would suggest a complete strut replacement with the spring built in since you’re paying for labor. Also, yes KYB makes the strut for Toyota. However, the damping in the KYB aftermarket struts is much more aggressive than the Lexus KYB units sold through dealerships. You cannot get those custom struts from anywhere else unfortunately. If you’re particular about ride quality, I would strongly recommend to rebuild the struts with OE parts and keep the original springs. You would need struts, top mounts, and rubber spring seats.

If money is a factor and you don’t mind a harsher ride, try the KYB quick strut assemblies from places like Rock Auto but I would still recommend to hold onto your original springs and other reusables components if you experience remorse in a few weeks.
Zereldo (07-10-21)
Old 07-10-21, 12:50 AM
Zereldo
Driver

Originally Posted by w84me
my research and experience along with others inputting their results. good struts, not sure if they are identical to factory tho..... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...options-2.html
This is very helpful, thank you.
Old 07-10-21, 12:54 AM
Zereldo
Driver

Originally Posted by Hayk
It’s understandable why a mechanic would suggest a complete strut replacement with the spring built in since you’re paying for labor. Also, yes KYB makes the strut for Toyota. However, the damping in the KYB aftermarket struts is much more aggressive than the Lexus KYB units sold through dealerships. You cannot get those custom struts from anywhere else unfortunately. If you’re particular about ride quality, I would strongly recommend to rebuild the struts with OE parts and keep the original springs. You would need struts, top mounts, and rubber spring seats.

If money is a factor and you don’t mind a harsher ride, try the KYB quick strut assemblies from places like Rock Auto but I would still recommend to hold onto your original springs and other reusables components if you experience remorse in a few weeks.
I generally do not refrain from spending on OEM parts, in this case, I got a quote for ~$2,000 CAD + tax for parts (Only) from Lexus. I doesn't make a whole lot of sense to pay 20% of the cars value in parts that can do w/o changing for sometime. That said, I am looking to address this immediately and will look at other options, perhaps used OEM ones from ebay? Can leaky struts be rebuilt? I live the ES's plush and Lincoln Town Car like ride and would hate to lose that.

Last edited by Zereldo; 07-10-21 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-10-21, 10:49 AM
w84me
Intermediate

Leaky struts can not be rebuilt. try a private mechanic. there is nothing special about changing struts on a Lexus. it is very easy. even I can do it. by myself. a mechanic with the right setup will have the tools available to keep your original springs and replace with a kyb strut. or you can order the lexus strut directly from toyota, and bring it to your mechanic. it should be 4 hours of labor at most for the rear. you have to remove the back seat which is easy. and get the car in the air. both of those take 1 hour at most. that leaves 3 hours to change struts and put it back together.

Even at $150 USD per hour it should come in at lets say 6 hours labor, would be 150*6 + cost of struts.

this is for a 2008, but you get the idea
https://www.mylparts.com/v-2008-lexu...ear-suspension

the reason to get the entire assembly, is because it is cheaper, than buying the parts separately, however, as stated, some say the ride is harsher. I have no way of knowing, because I bought the car with 60K miles on it already, rarely drove it (its the wifes) and just before I changed struts it was at 150K, so of course the suspension is going to be soft after all those miles. so the ride is stiffer, but it also handles 100% better too. so that is the trade off I made. is it so stiff that I want to change it? no, but do I wonder if I could get a more daddy's caddy ride out of it? yes, why, primarily so I can respond to those who say the ride is stiffer, and give a definitive answer, but I can't.

Last edited by w84me; 07-10-21 at 10:56 AM.
Zereldo (07-10-21)
Old 07-10-21, 12:50 PM
Zereldo
Driver

Originally Posted by w84me
Leaky struts can not be rebuilt. try a private mechanic. there is nothing special about changing struts on a Lexus. it is very easy. even I can do it. by myself. a mechanic with the right setup will have the tools available to keep your original springs and replace with a kyb strut. or you can order the lexus strut directly from toyota, and bring it to your mechanic. it should be 4 hours of labor at most for the rear. you have to remove the back seat which is easy. and get the car in the air. both of those take 1 hour at most. that leaves 3 hours to change struts and put it back together.

Even at $150 USD per hour it should come in at lets say 6 hours labor, would be 150*6 + cost of struts.

this is for a 2008, but you get the idea
https://www.mylparts.com/v-2008-lexu...ear-suspension

the reason to get the entire assembly, is because it is cheaper, than buying the parts separately, however, as stated, some say the ride is harsher. I have no way of knowing, because I bought the car with 60K miles on it already, rarely drove it (its the wifes) and just before I changed struts it was at 150K, so of course the suspension is going to be soft after all those miles. so the ride is stiffer, but it also handles 100% better too. so that is the trade off I made. is it so stiff that I want to change it? no, but do I wonder if I could get a more daddy's caddy ride out of it? yes, why, primarily so I can respond to those who say the ride is stiffer, and give a definitive answer, but I can't.
Noted. I spoke to him today, he said that I could reuse my springs with the aftermarket KYB struts. OEM stuff is just too darn expensive in comparison. Still debating if OEM are worth nearly 4 times as much as aftermarket KYB.
Old 07-10-21, 08:31 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zereldo
Noted. I spoke to him today, he said that I could reuse my springs with the aftermarket KYB struts. OEM stuff is just too darn expensive in comparison. Still debating if OEM are worth nearly 4 times as much as aftermarket KYB.
It sounds like you should be okay with KYB. I would only recommend OE for people who are obsessed with details like myself.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hayk:
DJKraft (07-12-21), Zereldo (07-11-21)
Old 07-11-21, 05:53 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,172 Likes on 1,000 Posts

If you want to save money and keep the ride softer there are other aftermarket strut brands that are usually softer riding than KYB. Sachs a German brand I put on my RX350 was much softer than OEM, so is Monroe. TRW is on closeout at RockAuto and they are essentially Sachs struts as both are owned by the same company. Compare the descriptions by clicking on the info link within the RockAuto link below, they are almost exactly the same.
If it was my car I would get the TRW struts from Rock Auto. At $53 each you have more money left over for beer.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ion,strut,7584

Last edited by Clutchless; 07-11-21 at 05:57 AM.
Zereldo (07-11-21)
Old 07-11-21, 10:42 AM
w84me
Intermediate

Don't forget to replace you strut mounts, or you may be back in there, for the same labor charge again. I've heard good reports concerning sachs on BMW's, but never tried them myself. I go Bilstien for BMW's Love those!
Zereldo (07-12-21)
Old 07-12-21, 06:30 PM
Zereldo
Driver

Above is the cost in CAD for full rear strut assembly. I have also attached a PDF stating all the part numbers below for anyones reference.

I will taking the car to my mechanic to confirm the leaky strut. I spray the underside and suspension of my cars with Fluidfilm as a rust prevention. It may be possible that said fluid may have been mistaken for a leaky strut.

Given the struts are indeed leaking, I'm leaning towards OEM. Hoping I can find a better deal online.
Attached Files
Old 07-13-21, 12:49 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zereldo

Above is the cost in CAD for full rear strut assembly. I have also attached a PDF stating all the part numbers below for anyones reference.

I will taking the car to my mechanic to confirm the leaky strut. I spray the underside and suspension of my cars with Fluidfilm as a rust prevention. It may be possible that said fluid may have been mistaken for a leaky strut.

Given the struts are indeed leaking, I'm leaning towards OEM. Hoping I can find a better deal online.
You can definitely find better prices online, they’re charging you full retail. Also, the springs are normally reused unless they’re sagging.
Old 07-13-21, 04:28 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,172 Likes on 1,000 Posts

You can get those OEM parts for half the price online if you do some searching. eBay has many sellers, just search for the part number. A quick Google search of the part number found the insulator also known as the strut mount for around $100.
https://www.google.com/search?q=4876...hrome&ie=UTF-8

There are many online discount parts sellers for OEM stuff.

Save your money and do not buy springs. You don't need them.
Old 07-13-21, 05:59 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 759 Posts

I replaced them before they started leaking. I put Monroe OESpectrum and life is good.
Old 07-13-21, 11:07 AM
w84me
Intermediate

oh, I would be highly suspicious it was your rust preventative they are confusing. I'd get under there and wipe down all the struts and nearby area and wait and see what happens. is your car handling bad or bottoming out when going over speed bumps? how many miles on these struts?

Quick Reply: 2010 Lexus ES 350 Struts Leaking