ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Owner Insight/Advice (2007 ES350)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-21, 04:10 PM
hayko350
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Owner Insight/Advice (2007 ES350)

Hello, I have a 2007 Lexus ES350, purchased back in 2013 and is sitting at 316k miles as I write this. I have done Oil Changes religiously every 5k miles using full synthetic and virtually besides routine maintenance nothing has gone horrifically bad so far... Starter went out last week (Was Original took 315k), and decided to do struts all around while I was getting the starter done as well since it was getting very bouncy on bumps. Besides that and a wheel speed sensor that caused the car to go bonkers (VSC, CEL, etc.) nothing else has been touched. Did the transmission fluid at 300k as well usually do it every 40-50k miles. My question is what are the weak/failing points of these cars that people have experienced. My concern is my fuel pump/filter since it is original and never been changed, as well as spark plugs as I have gone 100k+ miles since they were last done. The rear 3 plugs are a pain to do since the intake manifold is in the way which is why I have been putting it off, just waiting for it to start misfiring. I have had all the typical issues such as the control buttons wearing off, rear shade stopped working, and really it doesn't bother me and they still remain broken. Otherwise than that the car is pretty flawless and looks amazing for 316k miles, you can tell these cars are built properly and no other car besides a Lexus/Toyota product would take it like these do. Trying to get another 300k out of it . Would love to hear what other owners have to say, thanks!
The following 2 users liked this post by hayko350:
99RX300PDX (04-07-22), Hayk (07-30-21)
Old 07-29-21, 08:26 PM
Zereldo
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by hayko350
Hello, I have a 2007 Lexus ES350, purchased back in 2013 and is sitting at 316k miles as I write this. I have done Oil Changes religiously every 5k miles using full synthetic and virtually besides routine maintenance nothing has gone horrifically bad so far... Starter went out last week (Was Original took 315k), and decided to do struts all around while I was getting the starter done as well since it was getting very bouncy on bumps. Besides that and a wheel speed sensor that caused the car to go bonkers (VSC, CEL, etc.) nothing else has been touched. Did the transmission fluid at 300k as well usually do it every 40-50k miles. My question is what are the weak/failing points of these cars that people have experienced. My concern is my fuel pump/filter since it is original and never been changed, as well as spark plugs as I have gone 100k+ miles since they were last done. The rear 3 plugs are a pain to do since the intake manifold is in the way which is why I have been putting it off, just waiting for it to start misfiring. I have had all the typical issues such as the control buttons wearing off, rear shade stopped working, and really it doesn't bother me and they still remain broken. Otherwise than that the car is pretty flawless and looks amazing for 316k miles, you can tell these cars are built properly and no other car besides a Lexus/Toyota product would take it like these do. Trying to get another 300k out of it . Would love to hear what other owners have to say, thanks!
Glad to hear you're keeping up with maintenance and in return the car is treating you well.

Mine is a 2010 base model with ~167,000 KMs (purchased in 2017 at ~133,000 KMs). I've had all 6 spark plugs changed from my mechanic that was able to do it w/o taking off the manifold though he did remove what I recall as "throttle body" and the wiper blades and the plastic cladding under it to get access.

All fluids have been flushed/replaced besides the transmission fluid which I would really like to have replaced entirely but I have been told it will only do harm as a flush can damage the transmission (not because the transmission is reliant on the old fluid but that Lexus mixes some additives in the original fluid during manufacturing process that wont be in the new fluid and flushing can cause potential debris to dislodge b/w gears). I've done drain and fill 4 times but the fluid is still dark.

Did you do a complete transmission fluid flush or drain and fill? I ended up buying a brand new transmission fluid pan, gasket, filter and aboand12L of WS transmission fluid and hoping to get a reputable shop to perform a complete service. No local Toyota/lexus dealer offers a flush and the transmission shops I contacted are essentially saying "if it isn't broken, dont fix it"

Flushing the power steering fluid made a tremendous difference but the steering is still a bit stiff and I can hear the engine rev slightly when turning the steering while parked (meaning the pump may be on it's way out?).

I feel The car is pretty bouncy (I dont mind it one bit) but mechanic gave me a good bill of health and added that my steuts and suspension is in excellent shape.

Besides tranmission fluid, I've replaced everything that needed replacing and then some as a preventative measure. I've spent a decent some of money getting the car in it's current state which may not have been the most financially responsible thing to do given the value of the car but it's worth more to me now as a result.

Since yours is an 07, I reckon cosmetic items are your only worry. I had a chance to speak to the shop foreman at my local Lexus dealer who informed me that pre facelift ES 350s had an issue with transmission fluid getting low after some time and it should be topped up once a year. I have never heard about this so take this bit of Information with a grain of salt.
Old 07-29-21, 11:04 PM
hayko350
Driver School Candidate

My transmission services from as far as I know have been drain and fills all the work has been done by my trusted mechanic for many years, he used to be a master tech working at Toyota. My power steering fluid is still the original fluid being topped up a few times throughout the years but I have 0 issues with it no whining or difficulty steering everything is butter smooth. My brakes on the other hand got a new reservoir and master cylinder cause the brakes were feeling mushy even with new pads and rotors all around. Also got a new radiator around 250k cause I believe the fins were damaged and there were little pinholes all over. Coolant was drained throughout the whole system and new coolant added so the coolant is nice and new still bright pink/red. Besides that literally just oil and filters I can't think of anything else.
The following users liked this post:
DJKraft (07-30-21)
Old 08-03-21, 05:53 PM
spaceballs
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 67 Posts

Do you still have the OG alternator and water pump? How often did you have to change them? I have a 2007 ES350 sitting at 121k and I think the OG alternator just died,
Old 04-06-22, 12:35 PM
hayko350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spaceballs
Do you still have the OG alternator and water pump? How often did you have to change them? I have a 2007 ES350 sitting at 121k and I think the OG alternator just died,
Yes still original Alternator and Water pump. At 340K miles now.
Old 04-06-22, 06:59 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts

"340K miles now !!"
you should be teaching a master class
Old 04-06-22, 07:30 PM
Mike734
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default AC compressor

I imagine you’ll experience a failure of the AC compressor sometime soon. Did your dash melt or were you able to get it replaced under warranty? Any axel problems?

Last edited by Mike734; 04-08-22 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-07-22, 06:33 AM
99RX300PDX
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Congratulation on your 2007 Lexus ES350, 316 K miles.
Mine is 2008 one with 50K miles, and I wish it will last as long as yours.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
Old 04-07-22, 06:39 AM
99RX300PDX
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Glad to know that.
Old 04-07-22, 11:26 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,040 Likes on 774 Posts

Original WP at 300000 miles? That’s a record.
Old 04-08-22, 07:59 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 250 Likes on 199 Posts

I find it very difficult to believe the has has the original alternator and CV shafts; maybe they were replaced before you bought the car. Our alt went out at about 120K when the wife used to drive it and she is not a lead foot. And the passenger side CV shaft went out by 200K. The car is coming up to around 280K and is driven by daughter’s BF but I still maintain it. It is on it’s third ATF flush and second ATF filter. Also on third set of plugs. Have replaced four ignition coils and one O2 sensor.
99RX300PDX (04-09-22)
Old 04-10-22, 10:07 PM
hayko350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chuyrobles
I find it very difficult to believe the has has the original alternator and CV shafts; maybe they were replaced before you bought the car. Our alt went out at about 120K when the wife used to drive it and she is not a lead foot. And the passenger side CV shaft went out by 200K. The car is coming up to around 280K and is driven by daughter’s BF but I still maintain it. It is on it’s third ATF flush and second ATF filter. Also on third set of plugs. Have replaced four ignition coils and one O2 sensor.
The car was at 60k miles when I bought it dealer maintained with all service records no mention of Alternator or CV shafts being changed. Last ATF flush was done at 300k gonna do it once again next oil change at 350K miles. No 02 sensors nothing not even a cel relating to anything emissions/engine wise. Only thing that has been changed is a starter and that's it. Coolant was flushed recently, the main fan was changed due to it working intermittently. I have not touched the ignition coils, and spark plugs were done I want to say over 100k miles ago I'm just waiting for it to start misfiring. I have only filled 91 octane in my ownership. This thing is bulletproof, only thing I can see going out is either a fuel pump since the filter has never been changed or it starts misfiring due to bad plugs or coils. Nearing 350k miles soon!
99RX300PDX (04-11-22)
Old 04-10-22, 10:10 PM
hayko350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike734
I imagine you’ll experience a failure of the AC compressor sometime soon. Did your dash melt or were you able to get it replaced under warranty? Any axel problems?
Dash has seen better days, yes it is melting/shiny. Did not know about the customer assistance program until it was too late, was not able to get replaced under warranty even with calling Lexus directly and opening up a claim number. Took it to the dealer they took pictures sent it off to corporate and they did not approve the claim. Guy working at the dealer took a picture of the rock chips and mileage before looking at the dash lol. And yes passenger side axle was replaced over 100k miles ago, nothing A/C related yet just recharges every few years.
Old 04-10-22, 10:12 PM
hayko350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ESh
Original WP at 300000 miles? That’s a record.
Yup, just recently did a coolant flush as well as well as new fan due to intermittently working, temp gauge would spike up slightly with A/C on and 90+ degree weather.
Old 04-15-22, 11:54 AM
dknights
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Same thing with my dash too. Wasn’t approved after they stated “I have the melting dash problem”
I read someone got theirs fixed by a detailer or something but didn’t know how. So I wonder if there’s a magic spray or something for it.