Strange power steering issue -new rack

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-21, 03:27 PM
07es350mo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange power steering issue -new rack

Hello all,

New to the community and first post here. I recently purchased an 07 ES350 as a daily driver / fixer-upper. I purchased it cheap, knowing the steering rack needed to be replaced when test driving (amongst brakes, etc.). I replaced the rack with a Cardone rack. At the same time, I replaced the power steering reservoir, as it had a lot of gunk built up in it due to the bad rack. In addition, I did a complete suspension rebuild, since I knew most parts were at their end of life, and likely needed to be replaced anyways. Car was aligned afterwards.

During install, I bled the rack, turning side to side and noticed no issues. I also performed a zero point calibration for the steering. After driving it now for 1000mi or so, I notice two issues:
  1. an intermittent clicking when turning the wheel (especially when on-center and starting to turn/load up the steering)
  2. when turning sharp corners, I feel a pulsing in the wheel (sort of feels like the steering wheel is getting bumped - or tires are driving over grooved pavement)
I noticed that the steering fluid was a little dirty (understandbly seeing that I could not remove 100% of the old fluid when replacing the rack)....so, I flushed out the steering fluid with new fluid, which seemed to help, but not elimiate the issue.

I hear no whining or groaning of the power steering pump, or have any steering fluid leaks.

Is it possible the new rack is bad? Is it also possible that the power steering pump is giving out, without making noises?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-10-21, 10:34 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by 07es350mo
Hello all,

New to the community and first post here. I recently purchased an 07 ES350 as a daily driver / fixer-upper. I purchased it cheap, knowing the steering rack needed to be replaced when test driving (amongst brakes, etc.). I replaced the rack with a Cardone rack. At the same time, I replaced the power steering reservoir, as it had a lot of gunk built up in it due to the bad rack. In addition, I did a complete suspension rebuild, since I knew most parts were at their end of life, and likely needed to be replaced anyways. Car was aligned afterwards.

During install, I bled the rack, turning side to side and noticed no issues. I also performed a zero point calibration for the steering. After driving it now for 1000mi or so, I notice two issues:
  1. an intermittent clicking when turning the wheel (especially when on-center and starting to turn/load up the steering)
  2. when turning sharp corners, I feel a pulsing in the wheel (sort of feels like the steering wheel is getting bumped - or tires are driving over grooved pavement)
I noticed that the steering fluid was a little dirty (understandbly seeing that I could not remove 100% of the old fluid when replacing the rack)....so, I flushed out the steering fluid with new fluid, which seemed to help, but not elimiate the issue.

I hear no whining or groaning of the power steering pump, or have any steering fluid leaks.

Is it possible the new rack is bad? Is it also possible that the power steering pump is giving out, without making noises?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Wow that's a lot of work. To see what's binding and clicking, maybe try turning the wheel lock to lock with the engine off and the front end lifted off the ground? It should isolate the steering rack from the pump and give you some clues. I also feel like a failing pump would have a noise when those issues occur.
Is it possible some of the parts you installed are not secured properly? Maybe something is not bolted down all the way?
Old 09-12-21, 10:57 AM
07es350mo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hayk
Wow that's a lot of work. To see what's binding and clicking, maybe try turning the wheel lock to lock with the engine off and the front end lifted off the ground? It should isolate the steering rack from the pump and give you some clues. I also feel like a failing pump would have a noise when those issues occur.
Is it possible some of the parts you installed are not secured properly? Maybe something is not bolted down all the way?
Thanks for the response. Everything is for sure bolted down and torqued to spec. I turned the wheel side-side while up in the air with the engine on. I did not notice any binding or noises....but when I put it on the ground, the clicking/bumping came back.

I also noticed the steering shaft had some play in it...not at the U-joints, but at the extension sleeve. I ordered a new one, and will replace it and see what happens. I'll additionally try turning the wheels side-side while up in the air with the engine off, and see what happens.
Old 09-12-21, 05:00 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by 07es350mo
Thanks for the response. Everything is for sure bolted down and torqued to spec. I turned the wheel side-side while up in the air with the engine on. I did not notice any binding or noises....but when I put it on the ground, the clicking/bumping came back.

I also noticed the steering shaft had some play in it...not at the U-joints, but at the extension sleeve. I ordered a new one, and will replace it and see what happens. I'll additionally try turning the wheels side-side while up in the air with the engine off, and see what happens.
It sounds like you have a suspension issue elsewhere. The steering rack job may just be distracting you in the wrong direction.

You need a second pair of eyes to monitor the front end while the wheels are being turned side to side. An alignment shop should be able to perform an inspection like that on an alignment rack as it allows the car to sit on its wheels while you turn the wheel. And they can get underneath the car while somebody is inside.
Old 09-13-21, 11:15 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

There is likely an issue with your rebuilt rack. However, it would be hard to rule out any of the work you did simultaneously on the rest of the front suspension. I'll use your experience as a cautionary tale...to not do too many related jobs simultaneously, and to be cautious in picking a brand of rebuilt parts. I wonder if you could have found an indy shop to rebuild your original rack? Even if it cost more, you would have the piece of mind knowing the reputation of the shop doing it, and you could request that they use all Lexus OEM parts.
Old 09-13-21, 11:37 AM
07es350mo
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the replies guys. I may take it to an indy shop to look at the issue and get their input.

An interesting note - a coworker of mine had similar problems with a rebuilt rack, and ultimately just replaced it with a factory one.

I suppose it's always an option to buy a used oem one as well.