ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2007 ES intermittent start failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-22, 10:35 PM
mmcd
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2007 ES intermittent start failure

I have a problem where occasionally the start button will not light so I can't start the car. The fault I've seen is B2799 (immobilizer). I've had a mechanic look at it and try many things. It appears to be a voltage or ECU issue.
  • If the battery is fully charged (12v+) it starts, otherwise no light when brake depressed.
  • The orange lead (MREL I think) to the certification ECU reads about 10v when disconnected from the ECU and 5.25v when connected
  • The start light does not come on and the voltages are about the same on the orange lead. If 12v from battery is connected to orange lead for a moment everything works again
The mechanic has spent a good bit of time with Lexus tech support and they're thinking 1 or more of 3 ECUs which is a bit expensive.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by mmcd; 03-18-22 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-19-22, 09:56 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcd
I have a problem where occasionally the start button will not light so I can't start the car. The fault I've seen is B2799 (immobilizer). I've had a mechanic look at it and try many things. It appears to be a voltage or ECU issue.
  • If the battery is fully charged (12v+) it starts, otherwise no light when brake depressed.
  • The orange lead (MREL I think) to the certification ECU reads about 10v when disconnected from the ECU and 5.25v when connected
  • The start light does not come on and the voltages are about the same on the orange lead. If 12v from battery is connected to orange lead for a moment everything works again
The mechanic has spent a good bit of time with Lexus tech support and they're thinking 1 or more of 3 ECUs which is a bit expensive.

Any thoughts?
This sounds like a serious enough electrical issue that would be very difficult to provide any insight on without being there and testing everything.

I think you’re better off continuing with the mechanic or trying another Lexus shop to give it a go. Is the mechanic that’s looking at it from a Lexus dealership?

What’s the history of your car?

mileage?
accident history (crashes, water, fire, etc)?
any rodent damage?
when did the issue begin?
how many owners in car’s history?
Old 03-20-22, 10:17 AM
mmcd
10th Gear

The car has 113k miles on it and I'm the only owner, no accidents. A few years back rats did some chewing on the wires to the ignition coils which was repaired. The problem started less than a year ago (I don't drive the car that often). I tried all sorts of things related to syncing the key. The mechanic is not a Lexus tech but he has had extensive conversations with their tech line. Their advice is swapping out ECUs to see if the problem goes away. That's fine if you have some known goods on the shelf. There is no Lexus dealer in my area. The certification ECU seems to be the expensive one. I've been looking on the web for a wiring diagram of the involved ECUs and their locations (besides the certification ECU behind the glove box). I've seen places on the web that will repair ECUs but I wonder if they will find an intermittent.

The most curious thing is that it is an intermittent rather than a hard fault which rules out a lot of things. It is also strange to have such a fault with a digital system. On occasion there's been a current draw from the battery when the car is off.

Typically the car works fine then when you enter the ignition does not give a green or any light when the brake is depressed. The door open light is on in the dash and the key fob will lock/unlock the doors. The car will start if it is jumped or there is a charger on it. The tech has shown me when it is in failure mode, he taps the orange lead with 12v from the battery and the green ignition light goes on and the car starts.

Looking at the diagrams I have there are multiple orange wires into the certification ECU:
  • VC5
  • BZR (to door lock buzzer)
  • SEN3 (from rear door LH key oscillator)
  • SEN2 (from front door RH key oscillator)
  • LIN (from LIN1 main body ECU)

Last edited by mmcd; 03-20-22 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-20-22, 11:30 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

maybe this is of some use. any codes thrown?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
16.pdf (21.7 KB, 38 views)
sas.pdf (363.4 KB, 37 views)
13.pdf (143.3 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by nevernu; 03-20-22 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-20-22, 01:35 PM
mmcd
10th Gear

Originally Posted by nevernu
maybe this is of some use. any codes thrown?
I have seen B2799. The SAS diagram is like what I have. They don't show wire the offpage wire groups come from or go to. The connector pinouts may be helpful, thanks.
Old 03-20-22, 07:56 PM
nevernu
Instructor

the manual says this about the code
Attached Files
12.pdf (85.2 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by nevernu; 03-20-22 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-20-22, 08:03 PM
nevernu
Instructor

re the SAS wiring diagram wires going off page I think if you tape the pages together it shows where all the connectors eventually go

Last edited by nevernu; 03-20-22 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-20-22, 08:18 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

I suspect you have some chewed/shorted wires somewhere that are making this an intermittent issue. If you’ve had rodent damage before and the car is rarely driven, it’s likely it happened again.
Old 03-20-22, 09:09 PM
mmcd
10th Gear

Possibly, wire damage was something the tech was checking out but didn't find anything. The rat damage was under the engine cover. The intermittent seems to have more to do with the battery voltage level and that merely touching the orange correction ECU wire with 12v fixes the issue for multiple starts.
Old 03-20-22, 09:11 PM
mmcd
10th Gear

re the SAS wiring diagram wires going off page I think if you tape the pages together it shows where all the connectors eventually go
Thanks, I was thinking that might be the case but would have been nice if they just labeled the attached page.
Old 03-22-22, 06:50 PM
mmcd
10th Gear

You are correct, I now have a 18 page rolled system diagram, i was able to do a little experimenting with the car:
  • The battery was down to 11.97v. The orange wire from certification ECU is probably either VC5 from the ignition switch or LIN from main ECU. After touching with 12v from battery: wire has a clip now one side had 2.25v declining to 1.97 over a few minutes and11.22 on the other. When connected 7.25v. Key fob would not open doors, no ignition light on depressing brake pedal even holding fob to switch.
  • Put car on charger, battery 13.18v, orange wire 2.35v and 13.21v with 8.2v combined. Ignition and door locks not reacting (no light or action).
  • Held fob to switch and got beep and white light on ignition
  • Minutes later got orange light and key not detected on dash
  • Tried touching fob to switch again, got green light and car started but still can't lock/unlock doors or trunk
  • Left car and got beeps about key missing, put fob on steering wheel and fault went away
  • Double checked by leaving car with fob on steering wheel then removing it through window
  • Turned off car and now fob works and engine starts. Battery charged up to 12.53 volts
Any thoughts on this strange situation?

Thanks
Old 03-23-22, 08:53 AM
nevernu
Instructor

sorry lost track of what the current issue is. If you can start w the fob held at the starter sw and not farther away that would indicate replace fob battery?
Old 03-23-22, 10:08 AM
mmcd
10th Gear

Fob battery was at 2.97 volts. It appears to be related to battery voltage: if under 12 (11.97) no light. Over 13 willl recognize fob against switch then after charged awhile and stopping it will then start with key and door unlock/lock work.

Current issue is I get no lights on ignition key when brake depressed if battery is somewhat discharged (haven't found where exact level is but 11.97 is too low). When I do get it started with fob next to switch fob will not act on door locks but if I then stop and start it does.
Old 03-23-22, 03:23 PM
nevernu
Instructor

is the B2799 code still present;if so did you check the harness wiring resistance?

( CHECK HARNESS AND CONNECTOR (ID CODE BOX - ECM) in 12.pdf?
Old 03-23-22, 11:21 PM
mmcd
10th Gear

is the B2799 code still present;if so did you check the harness wiring resistance?

( CHECK HARNESS AND CONNECTOR (ID CODE BOX - ECM) in 12.pdf?
No B2799 now.

Quick Reply: 2007 ES intermittent start failure