ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

No key detected, new battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-22, 10:58 AM
Mike734
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default No key detected, new battery

Lexus is new to me and I’m loving it so far. But I have a question. I sometimes see the flashing red triangle accompanied by the, “No Key Detected” message on my dash. I have no problem starting or locking and unlocking the door. I replaced the battery in the fob just in case and I’ve tried the other fob. Still I sometimes see the message. It seems to happen most when I get out of the car while it’s running and return. It happens sometimes if I stay in though.

Is there any consequence to ignoring the message? I’ve always stopped and restarted the car. I’m my Genesis the car will quit if it drives away without the key. Lexus?
The following users liked this post:
99RX300PDX (03-24-22)
Old 03-19-22, 11:26 AM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike734
Lexus is new to me and I’m loving it so far. But I have a question. I sometimes see the flashing red triangle accompanied by the, “No Key Detected” message on my dash. I have no problem starting or locking and unlocking the door. I replaced the battery in the fob just in case and I’ve tried the other fob. Still I sometimes see the message. It seems to happen most when I get out of the car while it’s running and return. It happens sometimes if I stay in though.

Is there any consequence to ignoring the message? I’ve always stopped and restarted the car. I’m my Genesis the car will quit if it drives away without the key. Lexus?
Your fob battery is probably getting low or is just a bad fob battery. Replacing the fob battery should resolve this issue but no there are no "consequences"
Old 03-19-22, 12:14 PM
Mike734
Driver

Originally Posted by heidihidin
Your fob battery is probably getting low or is just a bad fob battery. Replacing the fob battery should resolve this issue but no there are no "consequences"
That’s what I figured but I’ve replaced both fob batteries and used both fobs independently and still see the warning. Now I suspect the receiver is bad?
Old 03-19-22, 12:47 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

1. The car will continue to run without the key, you just won’t be able to restart it.

2. What battery did you use? Is it a CR1632? Panasonic is the original manufacturer of the battery.

3. Check the battery compartment to make sure it’s not loose and doesn’t have broken tabs that would cause the battery to become loose.

4. Part of the Lexus personalized settings is choosing where the Smart Key needs to be for the car to start, you can choose driver only or the rest of the cabin. Make sure the key is always in the driver seat area.

DJKraft (03-23-22)
Old 03-19-22, 01:36 PM
Mike734
Driver

I used an Energizer 1632 battery.
It fits well and no tabs are broken.
I don’t know what personalized settings are set but the fob is on my person or in the cup holder.

Hayk (03-19-22)
Old 03-19-22, 03:24 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

I used an Energizer 1632 battery.
It fits well and no tabs are broken.
I don’t know what personalized settings are set but the fob is on my person or in the cup holder.
Measure the battery voltage to see if it’s above 3.0V. I believe new batteries come with about 3.4V.
Old 03-20-22, 09:43 PM
VindiCated
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same issue, i searched high and low with no solution. I replaced my batteries twice and it still does this "Key not detected" issue. Its annoying when the car is running and i just pickup a passenger, when their door opens it just beeps and the message does not clear until 1-2 mins later. Some help would most definitely be appreciated!
Old 03-20-22, 10:20 PM
Mike734
Driver

Default No key

I suspect it’s some sort of reception issue. I’m getting a set of service manuals later this week. I’m going to read about how the key talks to the computer and see if there’s an antenna or some way to reprogram the fob.

Mine also clears eventually but I haven’t been able to determine anything I do that clears it.
Old 03-21-22, 07:01 AM
99RX300PDX
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

There are instructions to solve the "KEY IS NOT DETECTED" warning message from the 2008 Lexus ES350 owner's manual, page 380 and 381. Below are pictures of these pages, and I hope they help.

I have a printed original copy of the manual. If you don't have one, download it free at https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive...S350&year=2008

These instructions on pages 383 and 384 on the pdf version, downloaded from the website.

Last edited by 99RX300PDX; 03-21-22 at 07:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 99RX300PDX:
DJKraft (03-23-22), VindiCated (03-21-22)
Old 03-21-22, 08:03 AM
Mike734
Driver

Default Thank you

I thought I had read the whole manual but I don’t remember that section. Anyway, I’m pretty sure I’m seeing the No Key warning because I’m opening the door and getting in and out of the car with the key in my pocket and the ACC on and/or the engine running. I’ll try to see if it warning correlates to this.
Old 03-21-22, 10:52 AM
sub786sub
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Rebooting the whole car computer by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery terminal might fix it.
Old 03-21-22, 11:22 AM
Mike734
Driver

Originally Posted by sub786sub
Rebooting the whole car computer by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery terminal might fix it.
I’ve done that recently because I’ve been working on an after market infotainment system (Grom). I believe the system is operating normally as per the owners manual. If I stop and let a passenger out, the No Key Detected warning starts flashing. The only way I’ve found to get it out is to hold the key near the start switch or to restart the car. It’s a bad design IMO but at least I can stop the flashing.

Thank you to all who chimed in with possible solutions.
Old 03-21-22, 04:27 PM
99RX300PDX
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

You 're welcome, Mike734. Based on the manual, there are 4 situations "KEY IS NOT DETECTED" warning sign appears, and all related to the electronic key outside of the detection area or not functions normally.

So, if you stop and let a passenger out, and the key is still with you in the car, there should not be any KEY IS NOT DETECTED warning sign.

Old 03-21-22, 06:36 PM
Mike734
Driver

Mine comes on every time the door is opened. It won’t go out until the key is bright close to the dash. My fob batteries are not low. My theory is the receiver isn’t receiving properly.
Old 03-21-22, 08:06 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Mike are you stepping out of the car with the key on you while the car is running? Im not clear on what you mean about letting a passenger out.

It’s normal to see that KEY NOT DETECTED message if you step out of the car when the engine is on and the key is on you.
99RX300PDX (03-24-22)

Quick Reply: No key detected, new battery