ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

dropping pan for trans fluid change questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-22, 09:55 PM
loliwin55
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default dropping pan for trans fluid change questions

My mechanic intends to change my fluid by dropping the pan, he says hes gonna do the filter and that i should get at most 2 gallons of atf.
My question is, once we have changed the fluid and he puts back everything, how do i know if its overfilled or not? Starting the car for around a certain amount of time, or using a temp scanner?
I dont want to offend my mechanic by saying "my forum says this and that and that" but i do want it done right.
my biggest fear is its overfilled or underfilled, whats the simplest way to make sure this doesnt happen? Is having the trans at the correct temp when adding or removing fluid that important?
Cant I just pull out the fluid cold, and put the same amount cold back in? Can someone direct me to a video or tutuorial on how to do a drop pan transmission fluid exchange if there is one?
thanks so much guys
also hes charging me 120 for the job, and i supply the fluid, that seems a good deal to me or is it not?
-just watched a video, and the way i understand it is, once hes done the overflow will drain out with the overflow red plug back in the pan, i can just turn the car on and eventually as the fluid expands any excess will come out of the overflow tube out of the pan, is this true?

Last edited by loliwin55; 03-28-22 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-28-22, 10:10 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

You have no way of checking the fluid level has to be done by removing the drain plug with the transmission fluid at a certain temperature. Short version is you pump fluid into the transmission pan until it spills out the drain plug (there is a tube of a certain length as part of the drain plug), wait for it to mostly stop and you have the correct level. To understand how this works search Youtube for Toyota sealed transmission.
Old 03-28-22, 11:05 PM
loliwin55
Pit Crew

Default next question

Originally Posted by LeX2K
You have no way of checking the fluid level has to be done by removing the drain plug with the transmission fluid at a certain temperature. Short version is you pump fluid into the transmission pan until it spills out the drain plug (there is a tube of a certain length as part of the drain plug), wait for it to mostly stop and you have the correct level. To understand how this works search Youtube for Toyota sealed transmission.
ok i understand now, basically i want to do this myself now that i understand, and im gonna want to do 2 quartsx4 , 8 total and i doubt my mechanic planned to do it more than once.
and im not sure he will, my next question, i assume my car needs to be level, so how can i jack my car up enough high enogh and level, i assume ill have to use 4 jack stands? thanks guys
Old 03-28-22, 11:21 PM
loliwin55
Pit Crew

also, how many miles are the oem transmission filters supposed to work before they need replacing: could i get away with only doing the fluid and not doing the filteR?
Old 03-28-22, 11:48 PM
loliwin55
Pit Crew

i thought of another question, where do i put the jack stands to hold up the car in front and back? thanks
Old 03-29-22, 09:55 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Google jack stands pinch welds. It is much easier if you have wheel ramps then jack up the back end of the car. Have you ever done work like this before?

There is no set time for replacing the transmission filter (or fluid). People argue endlessly on this subject all I can see is it's your call. The filter is not a metal mesh it looks like this.

dropping pan for trans fluid change questions-rb8tqs1.jpg
Old 03-29-22, 10:41 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 381 Posts

Search the ES350 forum for more perspective on how to do this job.

Depending on how level your workspace or driveway is, leveling the car is easy with four jack stands on the four pinch welds. The jack points for using using a floor jack can be found in your owners manual.
Old 03-29-22, 12:20 PM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

If you are looking for a good video I would recommend the Car Car Nut on YouTube. Specifically this one:

It's one of his earlier ones so not as polished as some his later ones. He's also doing it on a 2016 4 cylinder Camry but the procedure is the same.
Old 03-29-22, 04:38 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Based on your questions I do not recommend you do this job by yourself. It sounds like you’ve never lifted a car on jack stands before and may not have the proper equipment and tools to do so. If you mess up the fluid replacement, you can damage a $5000 transmission.
Old 03-29-22, 09:29 PM
loliwin55
Pit Crew

Default done some maint work

Originally Posted by Hayk
Based on your questions I do not recommend you do this job by yourself. It sounds like you’ve never lifted a car on jack stands before and may not have the proper equipment and tools to do so. If you mess up the fluid replacement, you can damage a $5000 transmission.
i have done things such as coil springs etc and changed my own oil, i just have never used jack stands before, i appreciate the advice, but i understand now how to do the fluid change properly, i would rather have peace of mind if i do it rather than pay a mechanic and hope he knows what i arleady learned
Old 03-29-22, 10:20 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by loliwin55
i have done things such as coil springs etc and changed my own oil, i just have never used jack stands before, i appreciate the advice, but i understand now how to do the fluid change properly, i would rather have peace of mind if i do it rather than pay a mechanic and hope he knows what i arleady learned
How did you do coil springs without jack stands? Did you have access to a lift? It's good that you have some mechanical experience it's very similar to an oil change, but you gotta make sure you're following the procedure and measuring carefully. Reading that you have over 240k miles, it's probably for the better you do it yourself as transmission failure is a huge liability most mechanics won't take on without service records and above 100k miles. So if you're up for it, good luck and study the DIY videos carefully.
Old 03-30-22, 01:15 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

I don't see where he said his car has 240K. If so, I would not do a flush unless it’s been done every 80-100K. Otherwise, if this were my car, I would do a drain/refill with an ATF filter change. If it shifts fine afterwards, do another drain/refill in 30-40K miles.

Checking the ATF level at the prescribed ATF temp (109-113) is very important because the ES350 does not have an ATF dip stick. There is a plastic insert in the drain plug that is a specific height to check the proper ATF level during the proper temp range. Since ATF expands as it warms up, if you remove the drain plug when the ATF is too hot, you will drain excessive ATF. If you check when the ATF is too cold, you will end up with excessive ATF if you add ATF until it drips out.

Follow the info in this thread - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...with-pics.html
The following users liked this post:
Hayk (03-30-22)
Old 03-30-22, 01:50 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by loliwin55
...have never used jack stands before, i appreciate the advice...
It helps to get jackstands that are compatible with pinch weld cushions, and it is best to use pinch weld cushions. They are hard rubber and have a slot that protects your pinch weld from bending. Of my four sets of jackstands (two per set), only two sets were compatible with the cushions, and I have only found one size/configuration of the cushions. It would be great if manufacturers made different sizes to fit all kinds of jackstands.
Old 03-30-22, 02:21 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chuyrobles
I don't see where he said his car has 240K. If so, I would not do a flush unless it’s been done every 80-100K. Otherwise, if this were my car, I would do a drain/refill with an ATF filter change. If it shifts fine afterwards, do another drain/refill in 30-40K miles.
OP made a separate thread announcing the mileage, so I added it here for reference.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...this-week.html
Old 03-30-22, 09:04 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

@Hayk I noticed that afterwards. He has posted numerous threads on this car.
The following users liked this post:
Hayk (03-30-22)