ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Worth putting money into?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-22, 04:11 PM
mlf149
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth putting money into?

My aunt just gifted me a 2007 Lexus ES350 with 73K miles. It was my uncle's car and it sat for 5 years while he was sick. I've had it for a week and here are the issues I'm seeing.

Some additional context. The rear bumper has to be replaced; lots of damage. The drivers side A pillar, rear door, and rear quarter panel were repainted years ago due to a parking lot scratch. The repaint clear coat yellowed (White factory color) and probably needs to be repainted to fix. The car has been outside for all of it's 15 year life.

In 2020 the dealer told my aunt it needed new power steering lines, new water pump, and a drive axle boot. Like $3K (Lexus dealer.)

There is a oil leak or power steering leak; looking in passenger side, front wheel well, the power steering pump was all wet. The engine block was wet, and the drive axle boot was wet. So the question is... is it drive axle boot, the dreaded timing chain cover leak, or a power steering pump issue. Maybe the dealer tech was lazy and just fixed they would replace 2 of the 3. Maybe it's power steering dripping onto drive axles and getting flung all over.

When I got the car the coolant overflow tank was empty. Took to the dealer for state inspection - they topped off. 2 days later I saw coolant on the garage floor. I can see a little pink "crust" at top of radiator but no active leak. The drops appeared immediately below the area of the oil leaks above; which is also the area of the water pump but I can't see anything dripping from the pump. Thinking I should replace pump + radiator - both appear to be normal issues.

The dashboard is all sticky and cracked; they didn't know about the "recall" now has since ended; Dealer wants $2.7K to replace; or $1K for the part if I do it myself.

Is this 15 year old car worth putting several thousand dollars into? If the timing cover is leaking, forget it, I'm not paying $3K to drop the engine, but everything else? I'm always owned new/leased Acuras. This is the oldest car I owned and its' for my 16 year old son.

Always heard Toyota / Lexus were top in reliability but seems like this particular model has more than it's share of issues (+ vvti hose)

Thanks.
Old 04-10-22, 12:02 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

2007 ES and LS models (and the 2006 GS) all had major issues. At this point I wouldn't pour all that money into this thing. I'd look at getting rid of it ASAP. The market is still strong so you could probably still get something for it. If you son likes this generation ES, get a 2010-2012. Big upgrades to the interior and they addressed pretty much all the issues with the 07-09 models.
Old 04-10-22, 07:47 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

This car sounds rough and if it sat for 5 years it’s gonna have issues that will surface after extensive driving. Gaskets will start to leak that didn’t leak before. There may be rust where it normally wouldn’t. Etc.

I agree with the above assessment, the early models years were problematic in new condition. Not worth the headache if it’s not cosmetically taken care of.

If you wanted to pin point the oil leak you need to start with degreasing because a sitting car will always be covered with oil all over.
Old 04-10-22, 10:36 AM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I was going to support the car (before reading about your problems). I have the exact same year and model with roughly
the same mileage, and have had hardly any issues with it.

However given all the issues you mentioned I would dump it ASAP. Let someone else deal with the headaches.
Old 04-10-22, 12:11 PM
w84me
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

if you can do the work yourself, its saveable. 73K is low mileage. p/s leak is pretty common from what I've heard. timing cover, some guys tighten the bolts a smidge and put a little sealant where the leak is located. you can worry about the body work later. too bad on the dash, had mine replaced last summer, even tho the recall had finished. called Lexus HQ in Dallas and they said bring it in.
Old 04-10-22, 07:27 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

Thats very good mileage and if it’s worth saving all depends on what you want it to be. If it’s meant to be a first car beater that you want your son to beat up until he gets enough confidence to trade it on something nicer in a year I’d ignore the cosmetics and just address the mechanical issues at a local mechanic for a much cheaper rate. I hate that the car sat for so long because that can lead to many headaches down the road. To try to make this thing a cream puff unless it has a true sentimental value or you can do the work yourself is probably not worth it. If that’s the case flip it forward to someone that can do the work themselves and it can be a good car for someone for years to come.
Old 04-11-22, 02:57 PM
AA2016
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

If your son is only going to put a few thousand miles a year into it and you only plan to keep the car going for another year or two and the engine and transmission are in good shape right now, it might be worth fixing the urgent issues.

However, extensive driving and packing on the miles will bring on a lot more issues than you are expecting now. This model year is not very reliable.

Previous owner also didn’t take care of my dash, but I put on a black carpet dash mat for the past 5 years now which reduces the glare and you don’t see the stickiness as much.
Old 04-18-22, 01:59 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

You got the car for free. You could put $5000 into this thing and still be way ahead.
The following users liked this post:
buasop69 (03-19-24)
Old 06-03-22, 10:39 AM
mlf149
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to update the thread. I decided to go slow and put minimal $ into it.

The first thing it needs is a new waterpump (was due to coolant flush anyway.) I bought the OEM pump for $120. Figure it's a full day of labor for me; but will save $850 from what the dealer quoted.

As far as the oil leak; I put some UV dye in the power steering. I'm not 100% sure, but it does look like that's what leaking. Once I get it up on the lift working on the pump I'll be able to get a better look and see for sure. Some oils/greases do glow a little bit with a UV light so it's hard to tell if I'm see UV power steering fluid that is dirty, or something else.

If it's not a PS leak; and it's the chain cover, I'll get rid of it.

Where can I find a decent OEM service manual? I like to use torque specs for everything I do.
Old 06-03-22, 12:26 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,172 Likes on 1,000 Posts

You can join Toyota Techstream TIS online technical manuals etc for a day or more to get the information you need.
​​​​​​https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...a.com%3A443%2F

Also, the 2008-13 Highlander uses the same engine etc as the ES and those guys at Toyota Nation are very hands-on and have instructions on replacing many parts including the water pump
​​​​​​https://www.toyotanation.com/threads...ations.264043/

FYI the timing chain cover leak is rarely more than a small seep that is just enough to make a little mess under the engine and you will probably never have to add oil due to it. Just clean it up before trading it in!
The following users liked this post:
lttlLater (07-19-22)