ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Exact tools needed for tie rods ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-22, 01:21 PM
loliwin55
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Exact tools needed for tie rods ?

I am going to do some real work on my car to save myself some money. I have a socket set and half inch drive as well as jack stands and a jack , I have watched videos on how to do the outer and inner tie rods basically. What I have not seen is a list of exact tools I will need so I can just set them out before hand, if anyone has a link to the list or has them handy would be much appreciated. I have both inner and outter tie rods , I may as well do both if I’m already doing the outer correct ? My mechanic said the inner is moving around too much. I bought a moog outer and a Mevotech inner ( clearance on mevo) I’m a able to move around the moog ball joint with my hand is that normal also? Thx guys my gf is leaving town and I won’t have a car to go get more tools so I don’t wanna be stuck half done
Old 05-18-22, 03:59 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,172 Likes on 1,000 Posts

The ES350 is the same as the Camry or many other Toyota/Lexus front wheel drive based vehicles. Youtube has videos with instructions. Many show the special tools required for the inner.
I don't understand why you have not noticed what is required.

Note the inner ones can be tricky as there is little room. You have to count how many times you turn each one as you unscrew it to try and match it installing the new one. They can also be a bear to take apart due to rust etc. You have to get an alignment afterward.

How much does your mechanic want to do this job?
Have you ever done suspension or steering work before?
Having a set of sockets is not enough. You need the skill and experience to use them properly and improvise when things do not work out as you expect.
The cost of the tools you may need only once may not be worth it. Also many big chain auto parts stores will loan or rent the special tools required, once your learn about them from the youtube videos.
I suspect you may be starting a project you may not be able to complete if you don't even know what tools are required at this stage.

Last edited by Clutchless; 05-18-22 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-18-22, 04:55 PM
loliwin55
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thx for advice

As long as I have all the tools I should be fine. I’ve watched videos and will just put a list together. I was just looking for pointers like have 2 wrenches incase the Jam nut is stuck etc. I know I can do the job. I’ve done coils and plugs and things of this nature but this is gonna be my first suspension work. Thanks for the tips
I’m gonna get a couple wrenches and a pitman ball joint tie rod tool, I ordered a mallet but I don’t think I’ll need it, I’ll most likely borrow the pitman and whatever else I think I’ll not need that often.
Old 05-19-22, 03:57 AM
Clutchless

Have fun!
I usually use a pickle fork for ball joint separation, but the Pitmann tool should work better with less chance of damaging the rubber boot.
Get some mechanics type gloves to protect your hands. I prefer disposable orange pro-grade rubber ones that come in boxes of 100 from Amazon.

Scotty Kilmer even has a how to video, if you are not familar with him.

One of the best general tools I got a couple of years ago was a cordless impact wrench. It makes changing tires a breeze and also with removing most nuts and bolts. I have a Ridgid, but there are many others by Milwaukee, Ryobi, DeWalt, Metabo, etc There may be Memorial Day Sales this week.
https://www.homedepot.com/s/cordless...0wrench?NCNI-5
Old 05-19-22, 06:28 AM
Clutchless

Here are step by step instructions to replace the tie rod ends for the mechanical twin Toyota Camry from the Toyota Nation forum. Those guys have much more do it yourself tips than on this site.

​​​​​​https://www.toyotanation.com/threads.../#post-3610445
Old 06-05-22, 02:53 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 246 Likes on 195 Posts

I use OEM Tools 27022 for tie rods. I have an older similar larger size tool for the ball joints.