ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Help me diagnose my A/C issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-22, 02:40 PM
HunterV
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me diagnose my A/C issues

Let's start with I had completely drained the refrigerant from the system making repairs. I got everything back together and added precise specifications to refill the system. Everything has been working fine for months until a couple weeks ago I noticed that it wasn't blowing as hard or cold inside the vehicle. While the compressor is engaged there is a slight rattling noise coming from the area. Now my AC is not blowing cold air except when I start the car after it has been sitting for a while. The fan and the AC compressor attempt to kick on to only turn right off. The pressure levels are right on high and low pressure sides even had it double checked. Brand new cabin filter. Cleaned the condenser of dirt and bugs. I visually checked fuses and all seem to be fine. And I really try keeping maintenance on everything up to date to avoid situations like this. Ready to just get rid of the car have already put to much into it and things keep messing up.
Old 06-11-22, 06:39 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-solution.html
Old 06-16-22, 06:43 AM
w84me
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by HunterV
Let's start with I had completely drained the refrigerant from the system making repairs. I got everything back together and added precise specifications to refill the system. Everything has been working fine for months until a couple weeks ago I noticed that it wasn't blowing as hard or cold inside the vehicle. While the compressor is engaged there is a slight rattling noise coming from the area. Now my AC is not blowing cold air except when I start the car after it has been sitting for a while. The fan and the AC compressor attempt to kick on to only turn right off. The pressure levels are right on high and low pressure sides even had it double checked. Brand new cabin filter. Cleaned the condenser of dirt and bugs. I visually checked fuses and all seem to be fine. And I really try keeping maintenance on everything up to date to avoid situations like this. Ready to just get rid of the car have already put to much into it and things keep messing up.
Did you evacuate the a/c system down to -30Hg for an hour before charging?
are you certain you have correct amount of fridg?
did you take oil into consideration?
maybe a pressure switch is activating, turning it off
you'll need to get a little more refined with your question, because its not working will just get you guesses. do a little debugging and see if you can pin point something, maybe plug a scanner into the obd port and see if any codes come up.

Last edited by w84me; 06-16-22 at 07:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Clutchless (06-16-22)
Old 07-05-22, 06:59 PM
Rednewt
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Now my AC is not blowing cold air except when I start the car after it has been sitting for a while."

Based on your comment, I would say your Expansion valve is icing up. Excess moisture in the AC system will freeze at the expansion valve orifice, causing the refrigeration cycle to stop. When you turn off your car it warms up and melts any ice. You mentioned you check the pressures. Your manifold gauges can tell you a lot about what might be going on with your AC system. Put your gauge set back on the system and try to observe what happens when the AC quits cooling - if the low side goes to zero or even a vacuum, that would be an indication of an icing expansion valve. As w84me indicated more technical info on the condition i.e. what your manifold pressure gauges are reading during the problem is super helpful for diagnosis. Both the high and low pressure side observation are critical to a proper diagnosis.