ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Air Cleaner/Box Cover Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-22, 08:26 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Air Cleaner/Box Cover Replacement

I accidentally broke one of the tabs on the air box cover while replacing my air filter and would like to get that replaced. I didn’t realize how big of a mistake I made until I found the Lexus price for that part! They sell it with a new MAF sensor included so it’s almost $400 and that’s not even the whole box. I need help finding a genuine replacement for a more reasonable price. My budget is around $200.

I looked on the eBay salvage market but received a really bad unit. The whole box was covered in oil, everything was soaked inside, and the hardware was very rusty!

My car is in excellent condition so Im looking for new genuine parts or a very lightly used one.

I figured out this box may be identical to other Toyota models such as the Venza which was in production for much longer than the 5th gen ES, so it should be easier to find low mileage examples.

Can somebody confirm if the Venza airbox is identical to the ES350? Found a VIN for a 2009 Venza on eBay and found this part number for the lid.

2009 Venza VIN: 4T3ZK11A39U008813
2009 Venza Air Cleaner Cover: 17705-AD016 $176

2010 ES350 VIN: Can be shared privately
2010 ES350 Air Cleaner Cover: 17705-31271 $373

If they’re truly identical, I’ll order a new one from Toyota. The only doubt I have is the Venza may not have the same inner filter built in.

Pictures of my ES350 for reference.

Last edited by Hayk; 06-17-22 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-17-22, 08:49 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Those numbers don't cross reference almost always I find that if a part is identical then the number(s) will change up/cross reference. MAF is the same Lexus/Toyota. 17705-AD016 will be North American made Lexus part made in Japan that likely accounts for the price difference and possibly quality of part.

tl;dr: don't know if you can get away with the Toyota version.
Old 06-17-22, 09:38 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Those numbers don't cross reference almost always I find that if a part is identical then the number(s) will change up/cross reference. MAF is the same Lexus/Toyota. 17705-AD016 will be North American made Lexus part made in Japan that likely accounts for the price difference and possibly quality of part.

tl;dr: don't know if you can get away with the Toyota version.
I didn’t consider the USA vs Japan made parts, that makes sense the ES is from Japan. Maybe I can bring the cover to a Toyota parts dealer and compare? The compatibility check for the Venza cover on the Toyota parts website lists all the Toyota models with a 2GRFE from 2005-2016. So maybe it really is just Japan made vs USA made.

These photos of a 2009 Venza engine bay look nearly identical to my car’s air intake.

Old 06-18-22, 12:00 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Could very well be functionally identical I'd say there is a good chance it is. The OE supplier of that part is going to use the same tooling, molds etc. or maybe that's made by Toyota either way same applies. Why can't you clean up the used one you have and transfer over the metal bits?
Old 06-18-22, 06:28 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,157 Likes on 987 Posts

Have you considered searching for local car junkyards that have Toyota's? Most of them will let you walk around and pull something like that, or have it already pulled.
Or contact Rancho Lexus Recycling
​​​​​​http://www.rancholexusrecycling.com/
Old 06-18-22, 08:55 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Could very well be functionally identical I'd say there is a good chance it is. The OE supplier of that part is going to use the same tooling, molds etc. or maybe that's made by Toyota either way same applies. Why can't you clean up the used one you have and transfer over the metal bits?
That’s true they have to keep it simple to keep costs down.

I already returned it, it was complete junk. The built in filter was soaked in oil. If it was dry inside, I was considering what you suggested.

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Have you considered searching for local car junkyards that have Toyota's? Most of them will let you walk around and pull something like that, or have it already pulled.
Or contact Rancho Lexus Recycling
​​​​​​http://www.rancholexusrecycling.com/
Our area doesn’t have pick and pull junk yards. I found one Toyota recycler but they only sell parts they removed themselves and they didn’t have any V6 models. Place was located in a very sketchy and run down town.
Old 06-18-22, 01:20 PM
dknights
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Hayk
That’s true they have to keep it simple to keep costs down.

I already returned it, it was complete junk. The built in filter was soaked in oil. If it was dry inside, I was considering what you suggested.

Our area doesn’t have pick and pull junk yards. I found one Toyota recycler but they only sell parts they removed themselves and they didn’t have any V6 models. Place was located in a very sketchy and run down town.
Is there a way to Jerry-rig it? If the whole unit is crap I would just drill the edge and use a zip tie and replace it every time you replace air filter.
Old 06-18-22, 10:23 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dknights
Is there a way to Jerry-rig it? If the whole unit is crap I would just drill the edge and use a zip tie and replace it every time you replace air filter.
Hmm that's not a bad idea. I could drill a small hole for a zip tie in the broken tab and loop it around the receiving end on the bottom half of the box. I may give it a shot if a replacement from Toyota doesn't work out, I like the idea of fixing it right if it's within my budget.

Something else that I thought of is maybe buying a cheap beat up airbox cover to use as a donor part for the broken tab, I could plastic weld the tab onto my airbox. Although I don't have the tools for plastic welding so the end result will probably cost around the same as a new part from Toyota.
Old 06-19-22, 12:34 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 973 Likes on 733 Posts

I would never replace the cover because of that clip, I bet you any money the other group will hold it just fine.
Old 06-19-22, 05:44 AM
dknights
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Hayk
Hmm that's not a bad idea. I could drill a small hole for a zip tie in the broken tab and loop it around the receiving end on the bottom half of the box. I may give it a shot if a replacement from Toyota doesn't work out, I like the idea of fixing it right if it's within my budget.

Something else that I thought of is maybe buying a cheap beat up airbox cover to use as a donor part for the broken tab, I could plastic weld the tab onto my airbox. Although I don't have the tools for plastic welding so the end result will probably cost around the same as a new part from Toyota.
I would just zip tie it, but I’m pretty cheap lol. Thing is, you’re never gonna see it. So it won’t be an eye sore. JB plastic weld is pretty strong but those clips squeeze pretty tight, so I’m not sure you’ll be able to fix it just cause it clamps so tight. I’d drill it and be done with it. Tape some extra zip ties to the box for future use and call it good! Make sure drill location is good, don’t want dust going inside the box. Also I wouldn’t recommend leaving that clip broken as is. 3/4 clamps is good, but like I said dust is the enemy in this scenario!
The following users liked this post:
Hayk (06-21-22)