ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Parasitic draw coming from AC fuse. What's the next step?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-22, 06:53 PM
cyclet
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Parasitic draw coming from AC fuse. What's the next step?

A couple months ago, the AC fuse (#9, 15A, A/C CTRL PNL) blew out on my 2007 ES350, and after replacing the fuse, a 150-250mA parasitic draw developed. Pulling out the new fuse removes the draw but also disables all the AC buttons on the infotainment.

Even though I found the faulty component, I'm stumped on what to do next. Do I buy a clamp-on ampmeter and individually test every wire for a draw and then splice & electrical tape off the ones that are drawing? Any other methods?
Old 07-06-22, 02:14 PM
cyclet
Rookie

Did some more digging and disconnected all of the infotainment/AC cables today and there is still a 100mA draw when the AC fuse is installed. Now I'm truly stumped.

Last edited by cyclet; 07-06-22 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-06-22, 06:19 PM
spaceballs
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

This is a tough one, the only way you're going to be able to find out is the chase the lead from the fuse all the way up and maybe find out where there might be some crossed wires.
Do you have access to a wiring diagram?
Old 07-06-22, 06:22 PM
cyclet
Rookie

Originally Posted by spaceballs
This is a tough one, the only way you're going to be able to find out is the chase the lead from the fuse all the way up and maybe find out where there might be some crossed wires.
When you say crossed wires, is your guess that maybe there's 2 frayed wires touching each other and grounding out?

Unfortunately I don't have a wiring diagram. I feel like toyotadiy.com used to have them available for download but I guess they got taken down?

Old 07-06-22, 06:47 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

maybe this diagram will help. tape pages 1-2-3... left to right to read full system
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
air conditioning.pdf (183.0 KB, 57 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by nevernu:
cyclet (07-06-22), spaceballs (07-06-22)
Old 07-07-22, 07:53 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclet
Did some more digging and disconnected all of the infotainment/AC cables today and there is still a 100mA draw when the AC fuse is installed. Now I'm truly stumped.
Does this include disconnecting the cable from the AC compressor?
Old 07-07-22, 09:11 AM
cyclet
Rookie

Originally Posted by jkayca
Haven't yet. I was looking into it last night and the compressor seems difficult to get to since it's below the alternator. Haven't been able to find a way to reach the plug without taking out the radiator.

Edit: actually, reading through nevernu's wiring diagram, the A/C compressor actually has a relay. Let me try pulling this first...

Last edited by cyclet; 07-07-22 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-07-22, 10:11 AM
cyclet
Rookie

Originally Posted by jkayca
Unfortunately no dice. Pulled R7 (Magnetic clutch (A/C)) and there was no change in the draw.
Old 07-08-22, 01:18 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by spaceballs
I agree with the first part of this suggestion, but not the second.

Using the schematics, look for all components downstream from the fuse that blew. Based on your description of the event leading up to this, and what occurred after you replaced the fuse, I wouldn't necessarily be looking for "crossed-wires" or, some sort of short. If that was the case, the new fuse would have blown too. Instead, I suspect the current draw is from resistance in one of the AC circuit components. I would expect that none of these should be drawing with the key in off position (the definition of parasitic drain). Thus, look for components that could draw amps, if failed, while the key is off.

Sorry I don't have any specific ideas of where to look, but I'll check out the schematics provided and get back if I see anything.
Old 07-08-22, 01:24 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Did you test your MGC relay?
Old 07-08-22, 03:31 PM
cyclet
Rookie

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
I agree with the first part of this suggestion, but not the second.

Using the schematics, look for all components downstream from the fuse that blew. Based on your description of the event leading up to this, and what occurred after you replaced the fuse, I wouldn't necessarily be looking for "crossed-wires" or, some sort of short. If that was the case, the new fuse would have blown too. Instead, I suspect the current draw is from resistance in one of the AC circuit components. I would expect that none of these should be drawing with the key in off position (the definition of parasitic drain). Thus, look for components that could draw amps, if failed, while the key is off.

Sorry I don't have any specific ideas of where to look, but I'll check out the schematics provided and get back if I see anything.
Yea the current plan is to check everything downstream of the replaced fuse. I'm trying to figure out how to get to the A/C amplifier at the moment but can't figure out how to get the glovebox off.

Did you test your MGC relay?
Not yet, not sure where it is. I did pull the Magnetic Clutch relay though (downstream of the MGC) and there weren't any changes. Is the MGC accessible from the outside or buried in the dash?
Old 07-08-22, 05:16 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cyclet
Not yet, not sure where it is. I did pull the Magnetic Clutch relay though (downstream of the MGC) and there weren't any changes. Is the MGC accessible from the outside or buried in the dash?
Was the Magnetic Clutch relay in the R7 position in the main fuse/relay box, under the hood? If so, that is your MGC relay. I believe the only thing downstream from the MGC is the magnetic clutch on the compressor. Do you know how to test the MGC relay? I don't have a manual for the 5th gen ES350, but someone who does could provide the test procedure.

Another thing to consider is the electronic controls for the electric fans, as they will operate with the ignition off, and so, could factor in on an issue with parasitic draw.
Old 07-08-22, 08:25 PM
cyclet
Rookie

Was the Magnetic Clutch relay in the R7 position in the main fuse/relay box, under the hood? If so, that is your MGC relay. I believe the only thing downstream from the MGC is the magnetic clutch on the compressor. Do you know how to test the MGC relay? I don't have a manual for the 5th gen ES350, but someone who does could provide the test procedure.

Another thing to consider is the electronic controls for the electric fans, as they will operate with the ignition off, and so, could factor in on an issue with parasitic draw.
Yea, that's the one. If the parasitic draw is still there after pulling the R7 MGC relay, wouldn't that mean the draw is not caused by the a malfunctioning MGC relay?

My understanding is that a relay is like a big fuse designed for high-amp loads with additional functionality of being able to act as an on/off switch for a circuit. I could be wrong though, definitely not an electrical expert haha.
Old 07-09-22, 09:20 AM
nevernu
Instructor

cyclet you were looking for some other info on AC amp, see att
Attached Files
01.pdf (88.3 KB, 33 views)
02.pdf (34.9 KB, 25 views)
03.pdf (35.4 KB, 33 views)
The following users liked this post:
Wilson2000 (07-09-22)
Old 07-09-22, 09:28 AM
nevernu
Instructor

also these re MGC relay
Attached Files
27.pdf (126.4 KB, 84 views)
34.pdf (123.5 KB, 27 views)
The following users liked this post:
Wilson2000 (07-09-22)

Quick Reply: Parasitic draw coming from AC fuse. What's the next step?