ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Transmission issue from P->D idling

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-22, 07:17 PM
mailmycop
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission issue from P->D idling

Transmission issue, from P->D idling. Not clicking, not grabbing to start going, sounds like its on neutral.
When you put back to P and do Reverse its fine, drives.
Just added transmission fluid about 3 weeks ago, was shifting just fine. If anyone can suggest, what it could be?
Old 10-10-22, 06:15 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,172 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Without knowing how many miles are on the vehicle and if it is still on the original transmission fluid which has worn out, and why and how much ATF you needed to add, or your actual ATF fluid level, I would say your transmission may be overfilled or dying.
Why did you decide to add ATF and how much? Did you do the overflow tube temperature dependent fluid level check? Or just see a leak? Or was it acting up before you added ATF?
Old 10-10-22, 10:31 AM
waymanmd00
2nd gear

Default Uh oh

I just went through this with my 2007 ES. It's currently at the dealer awaiting surgery of transmission replacement. At first it was just the usual cold start slippage. Then I would sometimes lose reverse. Completely.

THEN on the highway I completely just drive and all forward moving gears. Throwing the codes you see in the picture I thought I could replace said sensors it sensor and be cool. Nope... Time, money and Transmission fluid later... I'm swapping.

Old 10-11-22, 01:09 PM
mailmycop
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Without knowing how many miles are on the vehicle and if it is still on the original transmission fluid which has worn out, and why and how much ATF you needed to add, or your actual ATF fluid level, I would say your transmission may be overfilled or dying.
Why did you decide to add ATF and how much? Did you do the overflow tube temperature dependent fluid level check? Or just see a leak? Or was it acting up before you added ATF?
Currently car has 178000 miles, was low on transmission fluid and i added 4,5 quartz of fluid!! (i know its a lot). Before that 1st sign of something was going on was, when i start driving, shifting from one gear to another was bumpy. After that i asked mechanic to look at it. 1st thing he did check fluid level and of course it was low. After we added transmission fluid (compatible with lexus) it was driving much better, but i was hearing some noise. Then hurricane past (im in Florida) and water was up to the bottom of my car for sometime. I don't know if that got anything to do with my problem, but right after hurricane, 1st time trying to drive and Drive is basically not working. Im gonna try to hook up computer to check if any codes pop up. I had VSC light on and check engine on before. I did not noticed any Transmission leaks but i do have an oil leak. Did not check temperature too. Mechanic just added fluid.
Old 10-11-22, 01:21 PM
Clutchless

It may dry out some in the next couple of weeks which may help. But probably it won't make any difference with all the challenges you face with this vehicle. You need to check engine oil and transmission fluid for water contamination.
I predict you will soon be shopping for a replacement vehicle as yours will stop running. You have potential water damage to the engine and electrical system in addition to a known trashed transmission. I would not invest a couple of thousdand dollars for a used transmission into this vehicle. Sometimes you just drive them until they die then get another one.
The following users liked this post:
TCoolest2 (10-12-22)
Old 10-12-22, 07:45 PM
mailmycop
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Clutchless
It may dry out some in the next couple of weeks which may help. But probably it won't make any difference with all the challenges you face with this vehicle. You need to check engine oil and transmission fluid for water contamination.
I predict you will soon be shopping for a replacement vehicle as yours will stop running. You have potential water damage to the engine and electrical system in addition to a known trashed transmission. I would not invest a couple of thousdand dollars for a used transmission into this vehicle. Sometimes you just drive them until they die then get another one.
Overall car in a good shape, sucks that transmission failing. Toyota known for being very dependable, but... Ill try to check codes and maybe mechanic will try to do something without replacing transmission, because im not looking to spend 2-3 thousand to get it fixed. Thinking about 2017 Volvo xc90 inscription about 88000 miles . Any thoughts on that vehicle?
Old 10-13-22, 04:45 AM
Clutchless

Volvo's are less reliable and more expensive to repair than Lexus vehicles.

​​​​​​https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/volvo/xc90/2017
Old 10-28-23, 06:00 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why is it no longer possible to delete a post?

Last edited by Macklin; 10-28-23 at 06:06 AM.
Old 04-24-24, 03:20 PM
tkb13
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

wrong thread sorry..
Old 07-03-24, 06:27 PM
Gus68
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Was hoping to get my replacement car today but some snafu with dealer and corporate caused a delay, plus the fact they can’t get their paint protection installer out until Tuesday next week (4th of July holiday this week) means that I probably can’t wrap this up until next Friday due to my work schedule. I just wish this entire ordeal was over with. What a complete nightmare.