ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Pano roof weather stripping

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-22, 03:17 PM
TCoolest2
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Question Pano roof weather stripping

Hi all. Some of you may be familiar with the problem with the pano roofs having the weather stripping just shoot up. There's been threads about them, here's a good pic as an example.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...ml#post8273661

I had it happen this past winter and sealed it with Permatex, but it's not even winter yet, the temp has gone from summer heat to mild spring/fall like weather, and suddenly along MULTIPLE edges of each glass pane on the roof has started separating over the past week! I'm not sure if it's from the slight temperature change, the almost 7 days of rainfall from Hurricane Ian that came up the East Coast of the US, or both. Probably both (temps dropped a lot with all the rain).

Just a little note for anyone unfamiliar, apparently these strips are purely cosmetic and do not actually prevent water from entering. So it's purely an annoying cosmetic defect at this point.

Anyways my question is besides sealing it with permatex, do you think hydrating the weather stripping would help it? Using something like
this this
? If so, feel free to recommend a product.

Edit: Another question is I notice after it rains, any door or trunk on my car feels a bit harder to pull like the weather stripping on those become more sticky. Any ideas why? Is it normal?

Last edited by TCoolest2; 10-10-22 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-11-22, 06:09 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,179 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Try cleaning the weatherstrip around the doors etc and after drying treating them with a preservative/restorer such as Aerospace 303. Then spray all hings, locks etc with spray lithium grease.

If my pano roof was leaking I would look into professional help and possible replacement of its gasket/weatherstrip before there is further damage from leaks. That is not an item to conduct home repair experiments on in hopes it will work and save money. Leaks can destroy your vehicle.

That Gummi pflledge stuff you linked has had good reviews on the BMW forums. I tried to order a bottle last summer but it got wrecked in shipment and never arrived and I never ordered a replacement. It may help the weatherstrip on your doors etc, but you must clean everything first. Try a car interior cleaner, maybe Mequire's interior wipes or a similar product.
The following users liked this post:
TCoolest2 (10-11-22)
Old 10-11-22, 02:58 PM
w84me
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
That Gummi pflledge stuff you linked has had good reviews on the BMW forums.
Bought some a while back, wasn't too impressed. maybe I didn't prep correctly. have since learned how to prep foam seals and havent tried the gummi stuff after doing so. hmmm, maybe will give that a shot someday.....
The following users liked this post:
TCoolest2 (10-11-22)
Old 10-11-22, 05:56 PM
TCoolest2
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Again, the stripping on the pano roof does not actually serve a purpose and is just cosmetic. They aren't replaceable like the regular sunroofs, the whole roof itself needs to be replaced. These notes are from Lexus themselves. They never issued recalls because as they said, it's a cosmetic issue and not functional. In fact, the car according to the service history had the whole pano roof replaced, I don't remember the reason, but the original owner did it. Maybe this popped up at the time.

Will try the suggestion for the doors and what not. Already lubricate some locks but might as well do them all and the hinges.

It's just annoying to have the strips pop up randomly and I figured hydrating them would help. I imagine this version of the car is rare and since it's 15 years later I won't get many answers.

Last edited by TCoolest2; 10-11-22 at 06:00 PM.