ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Help it won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-22, 05:40 PM
CtrsDrgn
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Help it won't start

I could use some help if the community is willing.

I was due for a tune-up and decided to do a bunch of upgrades at the same time. But something went very wrong and now the car start. I get everything like it wants to start but nothing, what I did find funny is the fan is on full blast like it's over heating. Tested the starter and it's fine but it's not engaging when I hit the button, not even a click. One major upside, my work has a partnership with a junk yard that only sales to repair facilities and it has several 2GR vehicles. I will be going there come Monday.

Now what I did and what went wrong along the way;

*RIPP Supercharger brand coils with E3 spark plugs, downfall every single coil plug broke and I tore the wires out of the rear camshaft position sensor or maybe it's a VVT-i sensor. I am not sure I got the wires back in the right spot. I did find a wiring diagram on the net I used but I am still not positive. This is the first time I have ever repined something.
*525cc injectors w/pigtail adapters and Radium fuel rail kit
*Upper and Lower intake manifold port matched and polished
*AEM air intake filter and system
*MaxBore 73mm throttle body
*R9K Tuned ECU - I think this might be the issue but I am hoping not.

Someone please help, also if you have other suggestions for parts to get for my car while I am there.

Old 11-14-22, 10:08 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,192 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Get the shop to check your wiring repairs and the coils. It is probably best to pay them to put it all back together. Some of the new coils may be damaged. Good Luck.
That was a lot to do at once. It makes it more difficult to narrow down the problem. Maybe put the stock ECU back in until everything else works.

Last edited by Clutchless; 11-14-22 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-14-22, 01:15 PM
CtrsDrgn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Get the shop to check your wiring repairs and the coils. It is probably best to pay them to put it all back together. Some of the new coils may be damaged. Good Luck.
That was a lot to do at once. It makes it more difficult to narrow down the problem. Maybe put the stock ECU back in until everything else works.
So if a coil is damaged it would stop it from even trying to start?
I am thinking I might have to get a factory ecu and pop it in there to see if it'll at least try to start.
Old 11-14-22, 01:49 PM
Clutchless

I doubt a damaged coil would prevent starting. It would just run terribly. I suspect the other torn wires or the ECU. What happened to your old ECU?
Also those aftermarket air intakes that sit in the engine bay are worse than the factory intake. They suck in much hotter air.

That intake manifold looks nice. Years and years ago I put a ported and polished intake manifold, a bored out throttle body and a high flow cat on my 1994 Mazda MX6 that had a 2.5 V6. It was a huge improvement in power.
Old 11-14-22, 02:12 PM
CtrsDrgn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I doubt a damaged coil would prevent starting. It would just run terribly. I suspect the other torn wires or the ECU. What happened to your old ECU?
Also those aftermarket air intakes that sit in the engine bay are worse than the factory intake. They suck in much hotter air.

That intake manifold looks nice. Years and years ago I put a ported and polished intake manifold, a bored out throttle body and a high flow cat on my 1994 Mazda MX6 that had a 2.5 V6. It was a huge improvement in power.
I sent the ECU to R9K to be flashed. The intake is only part ways in there. There is a top and uses the same cool air ducting as the factory. it really does make a huge difference in power. I can't wait to feel the power I am going to have from the other minor upgrades.
Old 11-19-22, 07:12 PM
CtrsDrgn
Driver School Candidate

Eureka, I figured it out. I wired the VVT-i sensor wrong and it was telling the system there was a fault.

thanks be to;
SherriffWoo, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-fan-runs.html
&
Austin618, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...il-rewire.html
Old 11-20-22, 11:11 AM
Clutchless

Congrats! Let us know how it performs with all your upgrades.
I hope you change your transmission fluid to prepare for all this added power! A cold drain and fill is not difficult to do. It usually drains 2 1/4 quarts, then just put that much back in. There are how to threads here and on the RX350 forum as it has the same trans. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...d-threads.html