ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Is my tire slashed? Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-23, 07:51 PM
TCoolest2
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Is my tire slashed? Replacement?

Hi all. What do you think, here's the photo. It's not a slow leak, it's 100% through the tire. Tire cannot even inflate with a pump, all the air shoots out.

Rear right

Already made a police report, because if it is slashed, I have a suspicion on who. Some context. 10 days ago, some maniac pulled up to my car while I was sitting in it and demanded I move my car for his car to park in, and when I say demanded, I mean shouting, cursing, etc. For those of you that don't live in NYC, many people like making illegal driveways. On this day, the illegal driveway behind me was occupied so I couldn't back up to make room for him. I was trying to explain to the guy, wanting to tell him go tell it to the driveway owner, but he kept cutting me off. Long story short I didn't move and told him I'm not moving, to which he yelled loud as possible to "go f*** yourself mother f***er" and spat at me and my car, and drove off.
Then 15 mins later after I was out of my car, he walked by me and kept walking, but then went to my car, looked in, and then started taking photos of my car, and then looked back at me as if he was trying to intimidate me.

So here we are today, I found it like this. I had the car parked here for 3-4 days, and I took photos of the car when I parked it in case my car was damaged by the guy. The tire was fine. Again no slow leak or any signs of anything, and I adjusted the tire pressure 2 weeks prior. Police said they can't really connect the incident from 10 days ago, and can only rely on the one camera a bit far from the car. So I don't think anything will come of it, but wanted it on record.

Anyways looks like I shall be getting a replacement anyways. These tires only have 4k miles on them, and are around 1.5 years old. But I think I'll get a used one? In case this happens again (if it was a slash)? What do you all think?

Last edited by TCoolest2; 02-11-23 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-11-23, 08:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,923 Likes on 2,462 Posts

That's not the type of damage you typically see occurring from just driving. It's possible I guess. Where are you going to find a used tire? That damage is marginal, sorta on the sidewall but not quite. I have a dual camera dash cam with parking mode it will capture events like that.
Old 02-11-23, 09:58 PM
TCoolest2
Pit Crew

It looks marginal, but I doubt it can be repaired. Yeah it looks like a weird but purposeful spot. If it was intentional, maybe to make it hard to find? Not that I wasn't able to use my ears to find it. But to me, it looks like a clean sharp cut that could of been done with a pocket knife or something. Like the tip was pressed down into the tire until it fully tore through it. It looks smaller there with the rubber compressed, but with the tire pump on it gets a bit bigger and the air just shoots straight out of it. Tire won't hold any pressure at all. No slow leak or anything.

The last time I was at a tire shop for the front right wheel I recall tires being sold with for example "80% tread remaining".

I was thinking how to power a dash cam since the cigarette lighter is disabled when off besides wiring it up and going through panels. I wonder since my roof is a pano if I could put a solar panel on top of the sun roof sliding shade and let it run to the cam, although I imagine the tint of the glass reduces the light to the solar panel.
Old 02-11-23, 10:23 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,923 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Tires are much tougher that most people think slashing them is actually very difficult. My guess is the clown that did that didn't know hence the minimal damage compared to what they wanted to do. No tire shop will attempt to repair a sidewall.

The Viofo I have is wired in via the parking mode kit it has a switch on it so you can select what voltage it cuts the camera off to avoid killing the battery. Unfortunately the kit kinda sucks it draws quite a bit of power even if it cuts off the dash cam. A solar panel is a nice idea assuming it can supply enough wattage. Here is the kit
Amazon Amazon

I have the VIOFO A129 Plus Duo 2K, nothing fancy but it is very reliable. It does not work below about -5 Fahrenheit though.
Old 02-12-23, 10:46 AM
TCoolest2
Pit Crew

Thanks for the reply. Yeah you're probably right. I've seen people say they've inflated the tires to 40,50 psi so the next time they try to slash the tire, the person struggling will get a sudden surprise when the knife finally pierces. Now will I do that? Don't know if that's safe, probably not.

Yeah my mom actually has that dash cam. Actually she has two dash cams, the A129 and then this 50 dollar one called "E-FRANCE". Maybe I'll just put the E-FRANCE one in and plug it in to the cigarette lighter as a deterrent for now until I see if I can find a solar panel or just use that kit you use. I don't drive my car much, which is why I prefer the solar panel. I've only put 4000 miles on the car since I bought it around 1.5 years ago.

Which brings me to my next question. Since the tire has only 4000 miles on it (they were new when I got the car 1.5 years ago), I don't think I need to replace it in pairs with the other rear tires right? Should have good depth, in fact I'm gonna go try and measure it. But if I do replace both rears, basically I now i have a Front right tire replaced from last year, then two rear tires replaced, and the remaining original left front. So 3/4 would of been replaced.
Old 02-12-23, 11:21 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 246 Likes on 195 Posts

You should have called the PD when the crazy dude spat on you. That is assault in most jurisdictions. Here where I reside, an independent tire shop will repair that tire but since the damage is considered sidewall damage, they would not guarantee the work. But, a slash can be a wide cut so I would not attempt to repair this one.
Old 02-12-23, 12:19 PM
TCoolest2
Pit Crew

Yes, 3rd degree assault I believe. My friend told me since I didn't have footage, it would of just been a he said, she said situation so I decided to leave it alone. (Even though building cameras were there, the cops told me yesterday the building owner probably won't want to get involved). But next time I will call, just so it's on record.

Anyways, I measured the tire and it seems the depth is around 7-7.5/32 The tires new are 9/32 according to Goodyear.

https://www.utires.com/p/used-215-55...-5-32-1121819/ I found a used one at 7.5/32. But, I don't see a date code, and it seems Goodyear no longer manufactures this tire...maybe covid and rubber related issues? Maybe I'll just check a nearby store like I wrote earlier.

Edit: Updated, so support actually was able to tell me the date code is Feb of 2021 for that one. There is also another with 6/32 but the date code will be sent tomorrow, and they're gonna send some extra pictures to me for the tires. I was thinking if I like them both, I can put the 6/32 on the spare in my trunk. That spare has an old continental tire from 2011 or 2012, and I think it was used once, but it's 11-12 years old. What do you all think?

Update 2: So Checked out my remaining tires, they're all from 11th week of 2019. So I guess I'll stick with used vs new and eventually I'll get some nicer tires for the car (if I still have it).

Last edited by TCoolest2; 02-12-23 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-13-23, 11:23 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 246 Likes on 195 Posts

Spare tire should be good. It sits in the trunk well protected from the elements. I would use it.
Good luck with your final decision.
Old 02-13-23, 11:38 AM
TCoolest2
Pit Crew

Thanks for the reply. I didn't see your comment and I just ordered two tires for the spare and the slashed one. I was debating since it sat in the trunk it should of been good, but on Continental's website, they said it should be replaced past 10 years. That spare is 11. But I guess I can keep it around in my storage unit if I remove it.
So the two tires I bought are
7.5/32 with a date of code 2nd week of 2021. So around 2 years old
6/32 with a date code of the 46th week of 2019. So a bit above 4 years old. Meh, I guess it's okay for a 50 dollar tire?

I think the tread depth matching the other tire on the same axle is most important, or atleast the one I replaced. So I will probably put the 7.5 on the slashed.
Old 02-24-23, 02:49 PM
TCoolest2
Pit Crew

Smile

Hey everyone! Just an update. So I received the used tires from utires around 2-3 days later. There was a day delay because the shipping label got messed up according to Fedex.

How they arrived

Patch?

So that's how they arrived, pretty sturdy. The labels from utires were on the other side for contact and support etc. As you can see, that looks like a possible patch on the inside from one of them? I didn't see damage on the outside, so not sure the deal there. But they do say on their website if any of the used tires have damage, they are repaired and tested before sent out. Also, the tread depth did indeed match what the website said. Overall I think for 115 dollars, great deal.

Spare
So I decided to get an alignment as well with the new tires, as I never had one and don't know when the original owner did it last. Had to drive a few extra minutes further to a shop rather than just the tire place down the street, so I put the old spare on. Again that spare is 11 years old. But you can see the flat tire completely flattened from sitting there for days.
On a sidenote, my spare is the only rim with the paint not coming off.

Tire replacement
And finally the replacement! So I had them rotate the spare back and put the new tires on the spare and the slashed one. The spare did look new, but I didn't want to risk it if I ever was on a trip or something and needed a spare.

Alignment
As for my alignment
The total toe was -0.53 degrees with a steer ahead of -0.07 degrees.
The car was steering to the left.
It actually took a while, because the adjustment points on the front wheels were so seized up from rust! He was using a blowtorch to heat up the metal, but the little blow torch wasn't even enough, so 5 minutes later the mechanic returned with a giant blow torch! Was under there for a while with it, and when trying to cool it with water, just instant steam from under the car. Looked like a sauna!
But eventually he got it down, total toe and steer back to 0.0

So all in all, this is over with, but on the bright side, I finally got an alignment and took care of my spare tire concerns!
Old 02-26-23, 04:38 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Your cut is from a knife for sure, not that knowing this does you any good. Don't feel too bad. I had eight tires slashed on my 80 Mustang and 67 VW Camper. Some woman was banging on my door in the middle of the night asking where my neighbor moved to. I told her to f off and she replied with her knife! This was in a upscale neighborhood too!
The following users liked this post:
TCoolest2 (03-03-23)