ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Back window regulator

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-23, 08:23 AM
ghuoof
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Back window regulator

I just bought an '07 ES350 and I am regretting it already. I didn't think to test the windows out when I took it for a test drive. After a week, my wife played with the back passenger side one and it decided to go down and not come back up. I managed to wedge a roll of toilet paper in to get it to stay for a while and then took apart the door. I couldn't figure out how to fix it myself and took it in to a garage. They told me it would be $1400 to replace the window regulator. Seriously? Is this off by an order of magnitude?
Old 02-13-23, 09:24 AM
spaceballs
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Check to see if the window switches on the driver's door are blinking (they're really dim and hard to see), if they are, it indicates that the car has "forgotten" how much the windows should roll up/down.
To fix it, roll the window all the way down, then all the way up a few times, until the switches stop blinking.

Checking Lexus parts website, window regulators seem to be $170 OEM, unless other bits are broken, I don't see ~10 hours of labor to replace this part.
Old 02-13-23, 11:34 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,172 Likes on 1,000 Posts

It may be the infamous crap window clip and not the regulator. See this:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-pictures.html

​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...t-stay-up.html
Old 02-13-23, 08:34 PM
TCoolest2
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

$1400? Tell them to shove it. Half these garages see a "luxury car" and think time to charge up the ***.
Old 02-15-23, 08:09 AM
ghuoof
5th Gear

Originally Posted by spaceballs
Check to see if the window switches on the driver's door are blinking (they're really dim and hard to see), if they are, it indicates that the car has "forgotten" how much the windows should roll up/down.
To fix it, roll the window all the way down, then all the way up a few times, until the switches stop blinking.

Checking Lexus parts website, window regulators seem to be $170 OEM, unless other bits are broken, I don't see ~10 hours of labor to replace this part.
Thanks! Turns out the switch lights are blinking even though the rest of the windows seem to be working okay. I haven't been able to get them to stop yet by rolling up and down.

Regarding the crazy price: I was told that they have to buy the motor and regulator together even though the motor is okay (so that's an extra $800). That's clearly nonsense. Hopefully I will have time to play with this again over the weekend. Then I might try another shop or buy a regulator on ebay and try it myself.
Old 02-15-23, 11:47 AM
spaceballs
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ghuoof
Thanks! Turns out the switch lights are blinking even though the rest of the windows seem to be working okay. I haven't been able to get them to stop yet by rolling up and down.

Regarding the crazy price: I was told that they have to buy the motor and regulator together even though the motor is okay (so that's an extra $800). That's clearly nonsense. Hopefully I will have time to play with this again over the weekend. Then I might try another shop or buy a regulator on ebay and try it myself.
This seems to be the proper method:

1. Lower the driver side front window 1/2 way (Do not use auto up/dwn) (or go all the way if it's already halfway down)
2. Raise driver side front window and hold switch for 3 sec

I had the same problem with the rear passenger window too and the above fixed it.
This seems to be another way if the above doesn't work, it's for the LS but all Lexus power windows seem to work the same way

Old 02-15-23, 11:51 AM
ghuoof
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Clutchless
It may be the infamous crap window clip and not the regulator. See this:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-pictures.html

​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...t-stay-up.html
I looked into this a little and couldn't find a clip. I think the clips are only on the front windows?
Old 02-15-23, 01:09 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,172 Likes on 1,000 Posts

I don't know but suspect they are in all windows as it holds the glass to the metal frame. There are many photos in the clip link.
You need to remove the interior panel to inspect it.
In the link at post 4 are more instructions on how to initialize the system. Although it may be a repeat of what was posted above.