ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Reverse tilt and mirror memory issues (Detailed Explanation)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-23, 09:43 AM
akeem127
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse tilt and mirror memory issues (Detailed Explanation)

So I have an issue with my side mirrors reverse tilt and memory position. Keep in mind the manual controls work perfectly fine and both mirrors move in all directions via the switch even to this day. Firstly when I got the car 7 months ago in June, the reverse tilt function worked on both mirrors. Shortly after maybe 2 months later only the passenger side would tilt down in reverse, however when I shift out of reverse, the mirror would go up as far as pointing to the sky sometimes, but it never went back to its exact memory position. If I keep pressing the memory 1 button on the door, the mirror will keep adjusting in small increments to get to the memorized position. It will get close, but never exact.
The driver side reverse tilt on the other hand just seems to work when it wants, but 95% of the time it doesn’t. The memory function on this side seems to work. If I adjust the mirror and then press the memory button, it returns to the stored position. Good.. I guess. What was interesting, last month, when the temperature was really cold, the reverse tilt magically started working, only for a week though. I’ve already completely dismantled the driver side mirror down to the individual components a few months ago and nothing looked wrong. I lubricated the moving parts upon reassembly, nothing changed.
My question is there any known cause for these issues? Does it sound like an actuator problem or an ECU problem?