Steering and braking issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-23, 07:14 PM
MacG2014
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steering and braking issue

Hey All,

2007 es350. Wife states that twice now while taking different freeway exits that the car beeped three times, the headlight icon came on in the dash, the steering and brakes stiffened like they became manual for a short time. She states normal pedal height. I am thinking maybe vacuum for the brakes but I do not think PS is affected by vacuum. I doubt the engine died and restarted but now I wonder if it stumbled for a bit. Does this sound familiar to any of you?

Thanks!
Old 02-22-23, 04:57 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,157 Likes on 987 Posts

This could be a serious safety issue to your wife if happens again and totally fails. If she loses steering and braking on the freeway she could have an accident etc.
If you cannot check for codes and inspect the systems yourself, you should have a professional mechanic check for stored codes and other possible causes of this issue as soon as possible.

I would check the battery and charging system, then the brake system and vaccum lines after scanning for codes. How many miles are on it?
Old 02-22-23, 06:05 PM
Skeeter3
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be it’s your stability control kicking on. That would explain the beep, and possibly hard steering and brakes? Possibly a failing wheel speed sensor sent bad data which caused it to activate? Someone can correct me if ASC doesn’t trigger all that stuff, but I’m not sure of any other thing that could trigger all of the symptoms.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...harp-turn.html
Old 02-23-23, 04:54 AM
Clutchless

You can try cleaning the front wheel speed sensors (the back ones cannot be cleaned). It is not difficult. Here is a video link. I mostly sprayed a lot of brake cleaner into the hole and attempted to scrape some of the gunk away as shown in the video for a Camry which is the same as the ES. I think it helped. This was on my HS250h but it is the same on almost every Toyota/Lexus. I was getting premature ABS activation, which was reduced afterward.
​​​​​​
Old 02-23-23, 11:01 AM
MacG2014
Driver

Originally Posted by Clutchless
This could be a serious safety issue to your wife if happens again and totally fails. If she loses steering and braking on the freeway she could have an accident etc.
If you cannot check for codes and inspect the systems yourself, you should have a professional mechanic check for stored codes and other possible causes of this issue as soon as possible.

I would check the battery and charging system, then the brake system and vaccum lines after scanning for codes. How many miles are on it?
So I checked the codes and there are none stored ABS included. Well there was a mirror code. I should have tested the battery last night. Will do. Brake fluid level is ok. It was my plan check the vacuum line etc. thanks for the confirmation. With both systems acting up simultaneously, twice in the same driving operation, I have a feeling that she came into the exit too hard and and triggered the computer to do something to those systems. I need to test that myself, I know a couple of good exits to do that on safely. Mileage somewhere around 210k. No major work has been necessary save for the PITA things like water pump, and alternator.

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-23-23, 11:04 AM
MacG2014
Driver

Skeeter3, Yes. I was thinking that maybe she went into the curved exits too fast and the stop was faster approaching than anticipated. I know a few good exits to try before mentioning my suspicions to her...if at all... Contrary to popular belief, I am not as dumb as I look.

Thanks for the reply. Will report back with the results of the test drive.
The following users liked this post:
Skeeter3 (02-23-23)
Old 02-23-23, 11:11 AM
MacG2014
Driver

You can try cleaning the front wheel speed sensors (the back ones cannot be cleaned). It is not difficult. Here is a video link. I mostly sprayed a lot of brake cleaner into the hole and attempted to scrape some of the gunk away as shown in the video for a Camry which is the same as the ES. I think it helped. This was on my HS250h but it is the same on almost every Toyota/Lexus. I was getting premature ABS activation, which was reduced afterward.
​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XMc8OVqWPs&t=3s
But this looks like 'real' work, with tools even of which the hardest part is finding them Worth doing however since I got to replace the factory lug nuts anyway...

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-23-23, 06:07 PM
Clutchless

If your old Canadian build lug nuts are rusting, the Japanese lug nuts are much better. You can find used take offs on ebay that are practically new. I replaced them on my Sienna with a Japanese set from ebay and the quality difference is notable.
Old 02-26-23, 07:54 PM
MacG2014
Driver

If your old Canadian build lug nuts are rusting, the Japanese lug nuts are much better. You can find used take offs on ebay that are practically new. I replaced them on my Sienna with a Japanese set from ebay and the quality difference is notable.
Yes the caps of the lug nuts are popping off/rusting a bit too. How to tell if the EBAY are Canadian or Japanese? I mean other than the seller saying so. Is there an appearance difference? Other than no rust Found some one piece on Amaon. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by MacG2014; 02-27-23 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-26-23, 08:36 PM
MacG2014
Driver

Thumbs up Seemed to be the trick

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XMc8OVqWPs&t=3s
Got to drive the car long enough for it to happen to me. On a zigzag freeway exit, not too fast, braking to stop, the left front wheel sounded and felt like it was ABSing and I heard the three beeps. No loss of control or steering issue. Cleaned the wheel speed sensors as described. On the left sensor there were a few tiny metal filings which I could see shifting about creating the intermittence. Cleaned that off and checked the right. The right had accumulated dust kind of like a bit of oil or other binding agent and the tip was covered. No obvious source for the binding agent, Cleaned. Also checked both bores for the sensors and they were debris fee, After test driving to make sure I tightened the lugs nuts enough and the wheels dint fall off, I am fairly confident that this was the culprit.

Thanks for the tip!
The following users liked this post:
Skeeter3 (02-27-23)