ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

10.25" 1920*720P Android 12 For Lexus ES240 ES250 ES350 ES300h 2013-2017 8 Core

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-24, 05:20 PM
DrGteYe
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmuff
...CANBUS decoder works well enough, A/C and door status all work fine. It even worked with the factory reverse camera, but I opted to put in the included one from Teyes and the quality is so much better now. The steering wheel controls are through CANBUS so you can't easily customize them with the include utility, there are some workarounds I've found...
I missed this!

So you can see your AC & door status on the screen? Does that overlay while using AA, or is it something you have to access manually?

Anything else you can access through canbus?
Old 06-19-24, 06:43 PM
dmuff
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The Teyes does have a pretty extensive EQ for adjusting, so yes I would put OEM to neutral and tweak the Teyes. Though it might be worth playing with both and doing trial and error if you are picky before buttoning everything up.

You definitely cannot get back to the OEM lol, it's gone. The factory screen has a proprietary connector, no HDMI lol. I would suggest (and I did) to put the USB port for the Teyes somewhere accessible, so you can update software without having to take things apart. I took out my valet button in the glove box and stuck the USB in there.

Backup camera does work through the Teyes, but the quality is pretty bad. I replaced my OEM backup camera with the included one and it's way clearer, HD even. This does require taking apart the trunk and running the wire up to the headunit as well as splicing the reverse light to power on the camera in reverse. Sounds like a lot but it wasn't that bad and was worth it in the end.

As for CANBUS, the A/C and steering wheel controls and door status all still work actually. Just pick what I mentioned before (The Camry one) and I haven't had any problems. I will say I disabled the A/C status portion on the Teyes because when you use Auto A/C function every time the car adjusts the fan speed it pops up on the screen. Pretty annoying and I really don't need to see the A/C status when I can just look down. A/C and door status overlay over everything. I pretty much only use it as a CarPlay screen and it overlays on top of that. I really only use the Android part of the Teyes if I'm parked and eating/waiting around to watch YouTube or Netflix or something.
The following users liked this post:
DrGteYe (06-19-24)
Old 06-19-24, 07:25 PM
DrGteYe
8th Gear

And it just gets more complicated 😂

So the OEM camera looks worse on the new screen? How bad? Do the moving grid lines work? I'm guessing with the new cam the lines (if any) are static, right? From the outside of the car, does the new cam look OEM or obviously aftermarket?

Pics and link of USB port u installed?

Also, did u use the included GPS antenna or connect to the OEM one? I saw that as a recommendation if the GPS signal was poor...

Lastly - software wise - did u flash/update a lot? Using a laptop/flash drive?

Really appreciate you helping me out!
Old 06-21-24, 01:18 PM
dmuff
Rookie

It's the same feed, I think because it was just blown up on a bigger screen it caused it to look worse. My 2013 doesn't have moving lines so I can't be sure about if those work or not, but my static lines on the OEM camera did show up along with the warning message. With the new camera you can set the lines manually in the Teyes, but I never did because I don't trust them anyway lol.

I'd say the camera looks OEM, I put it in the same spot with some epoxy since the screw holes don't line up:

USB cable comes with the Teyes so you don't have to buy anything. I used the the included LTE and GPS antenna, I just stuffed them behind the screen and I haven't had any problems with reception.

For software I used the VincentVega firmware from here: https://vk.com/@teyes_by_maga-modifi...-cc3-dlya-orig

It just requires a flash drive with the correct files and then it auto detects the update.

I found an old pic from before I swapped the cameras, it's not actually as bad as I remember. You can see the Teyes lines overlayed as well as the stock ones from the OEM camera:

The following users liked this post:
DrGteYe (06-22-24)
Old 06-22-24, 06:09 AM
DrGteYe
8th Gear

Thanks so much for the info.

Because of the fear of losing access to the factory screen settings, I took a gamble and ordered the 12.3" screen from Carputech (8gb RAM 128gb ROM). I had a lot of back and forth emails with the company and I'm happy to say they responded rather quickly each time plus gave detailed info.

They say you can switch back and forth (factory/android) by just using the menu button on the center console.

Here's what it looks like:

Here's their video
showing how it attaches to the dash, and here's the product link. (Again I ordered the 8+128G version).

I plan on taking photos of the parts received, install, finished result, and my review once set up.
Old 06-22-24, 08:36 AM
dmuff
Rookie

Yeah I debated between the few different versions that exist for the ES. One being Teyes, the other the "carputech" style, and then the one that replaces the OEM screen but keeps it sunken in. I didn't really like the big bezels on the carputech. BTW you can buy it from China direct for cheaper:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806290368114.html
Old 06-22-24, 10:05 AM
DrGteYe
8th Gear

Well, I already ordered it 😂

Hopefully it works out well. The aliexpress link seems to be a very similar product, but Carputech's site doesn't have those memory options... maybe it's another brand?
Old 07-12-24, 10:49 PM
DeimosLeone
1st Gear

Exclamation

Hello everyone,

I had recently received exactly the same multimedia as mentioned here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...30d01802VbdsiT
Does anyone has any sort of instructions or manuals for installation?

Last edited by DeimosLeone; 07-13-24 at 08:25 AM.