ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

New TPMS Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-23 | 10:22 PM
samsonn25
Intermediate

No, there could still be problems. Maybe manufacturing defect,
There is also RF strength.
Maybe improper install too tight or too loose to rim, Also damage when un mount tire and remount tire.
Old 12-21-23 | 10:26 PM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NdYAG
Autel sensors work for you? Congratulations, you are the lucky one! They do not work 100% for me despite Autel claiming they should be compatible when I bought them

So please stop making statements like True...but if the aftermarket (I use Autel for my winter tires) sensors are cloned to match the ID numbers of the OEM sensors then there should be no problem provided the new sensors are of the same frequency as the Toyota/Lexus units.
Maybe you are the unlucky one, We have done over 100 for Toyota and Lexus and no problem with Autel clone. Some other aftermarket ones we also used were not cloneable but we programmed successfully into ecu with relearn process.
Old 12-21-23 | 10:55 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tootsall
I guess you did not bother to read my entire post wherein I said “The pressures displayed on the multifunction display are always in the correct positions (starting from front left and going clockwise) regardless of the physical position of the sensor.”

Of couse, I suppose
the numbers mine display are really dashes and my eyes are bad.
Does your display show the picture of a vehicle and the air pressure next to each wheel or is your display a list of air pressures one on top of another starting with the left front going clockwise? I honestly don’t think we are talking about the same vehicle the way you are describing it. Also, even though a scan tool will show you the actual air pressure by either scanning the sensor or plugging into the ECU that same sensor will not show up on the actual vehicle display on the model years we are talking about if it isn’t the correct style. At least on the US versions with the picture of a car and the air pressures next to each wheel. I’m also pretty sure that chart you posted says who the original manufacturer of the oem sensor is Not whose sensor Autel is using. Could be wrong though. I don’t use Autel.
Old 12-22-23 | 08:25 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

The first is the shot I just took: the second is the display from Carista that I took a couple of years ago just after having the Autels installed (I purchased Carista so that I could double-check the IDs on the Autels). That's where the sequence of "Front-left and clockwise" came from. It is colder this morning than when I last initialized so that's why the pressures are down...when the forecast indicates getting back to our "normal" sub-sub zero winter temps I'll add air and reinitialize. I am aware that the Autel (and maybe other) scan tools can read the pressures directly from the tire sensors...but ndYAG said he got his info off of Techstream which, as far as I know, uses the OBD port to obtain its data. Since the 2014 MY were all built in Japan (J code VIN), I can't think that there would be any technical differences between Canadian and US models other than the printing of the metric info on items such as the temperature controls & etc...with reference to electronics and programming they should be the same (can you switch between Metric and foot/pound systems on the US cars of that Generation?...(other than dealer-installed accessories such as engine block heaters, etc.) I'd like to know if other 300h owners have the same issues that ndYAG have with Autel sensors...if so perhaps there is something specific about the hybrids that partially blocks or interferes with the signal from one or more of the tire sensors?...perhaps the installation of after-market items (trunk mounted sub-woofers, amps, etc) can interfere with the signal from different brands of sensor? I honestly can't believe that I have the only ES of that generation/year in which the Autel sensors work..oh, and the tire shop that did the installation did use an Autel hand-held for the programming function.

Perhaps you are correct on the "manufacturer" label from that chart...I did see from the Autel website that their sensors are branded "Autel". Not sure what the labels on the sensors I have are, they were installed on the rims with tires installed and balanced before I took the car in to get them mounted; I got brand ID from the receipt for the entire job.

I'm not trying to have an argument for the sake of arguing here: I'm trying to help figure out why some people have problems with different sensors and others don't. Of course there are incompetent technicians and tire shops that cause unrelated problems, people purchasing the wrong sensors (either brand or technical features) for their vehicle. But if NdYAG has had issues with 5 different sets of Autels there has to be something wrong...Autel would not be still updating and promoting their sensor systems if they are putting out a product that won't work. So then, what IS the problem that he (and presumably some others), are having? Is it restricted to all of the hybrids?..all ES of 2014?...all 6 Gens?

Last edited by Tootsall; 12-22-23 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-23-23 | 07:30 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

I have installed 5 sets of Autel MX-sensors, but only one of them was on Lexus 6ES. And 6ES was the only car that had localization and where sensors would only partially work - all others cars just had a TPMS light and worked 100%.

Autel is changing design of their sensors all the time to make sure it stays compatible with as many cars on the market as possible. On some of the earlier sensors they goofed and had to remove 6ES from the list of supported cars.

By now the problem is most likely fixed and the latest sensors should work - but it is not 100% guaranteed given the prior history.
Old 12-23-23 | 09:58 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

I don't know...my sensors were purchased and installed on the rims in February 2020. I went back to the shop and asked if they had a record of specifically what model of sensor they purchased but they're a big tire shop dealing in everything from motorcycle tires up to and including semi tires and the really big stuff used on combines and farm tractors so their paperwork was long gone. They did assure me that they had the equipment and could always reprogram the vehicle itself if the ID numbers were different but that it would have cost a bit more. I'm just happy that I don't have to go through the car reprogramming process twice a year. I still encourage everyone to note the ID numbers of their currently working sensors and keep that info in a safe place in case they need to change sensors at some point in the future, regardless of the make and model of vehicle and sensors being used.
Old 12-23-23 | 01:15 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

The first is the shot I just took: the second is the display from Carista that I took a couple of years ago just after having the Autels installed (I purchased Carista so that I could double-check the IDs on the Autels). That's where the sequence of "Front-left and clockwise" came from. It is colder this morning than when I last initialized so that's why the pressures are down...when the forecast indicates getting back to our "normal" sub-sub zero winter temps I'll add air and reinitialize. I am aware that the Autel (and maybe other) scan tools can read the pressures directly from the tire sensors...but ndYAG said he got his info off of Techstream which, as far as I know, uses the OBD port to obtain its data. Since the 2014 MY were all built in Japan (J code VIN), I can't think that there would be any technical differences between Canadian and US models other than the printing of the metric info on items such as the temperature controls & etc...with reference to electronics and programming they should be the same (can you switch between Metric and foot/pound systems on the US cars of that Generation?...(other than dealer-installed accessories such as engine block heaters, etc.) I'd like to know if other 300h owners have the same issues that ndYAG have with Autel sensors...if so perhaps there is something specific about the hybrids that partially blocks or interferes with the signal from one or more of the tire sensors?...perhaps the installation of after-market items (trunk mounted sub-woofers, amps, etc) can interfere with the signal from different brands of sensor? I honestly can't believe that I have the only ES of that generation/year in which the Autel sensors work..oh, and the tire shop that did the installation did use an Autel hand-held for the programming function.

Perhaps you are correct on the "manufacturer" label from that chart...I did see from the Autel website that their sensors are branded "Autel". Not sure what the labels on the sensors I have are, they were installed on the rims with tires installed and balanced before I took the car in to get them mounted; I got brand ID from the receipt for the entire job.

I'm not trying to have an argument for the sake of arguing here: I'm trying to help figure out why some people have problems with different sensors and others don't. Of course there are incompetent technicians and tire shops that cause unrelated problems, people purchasing the wrong sensors (either brand or technical features) for their vehicle. But if NdYAG has had issues with 5 different sets of Autels there has to be something wrong...Autel would not be still updating and promoting their sensor systems if they are putting out a product that won't work. So then, what IS the problem that he (and presumably some others), are having? Is it restricted to all of the hybrids?..all ES of 2014?...all 6 Gens?
I don’t consider it an argument. We are just stating facts that we have experience with. I only work with autel when it was already installed and I’m having to trouble shoot. I sell and install Dill for this particular application. It’s the Pacific OEM sensor but rebranded. They are too pricey though. Rock auto has great pricing on the Denso and those are also the same manufacturer as OE. Dill Redi Sensor will hopefully have a replacement earl next year in the $40 range.
Old 12-24-23 | 03:03 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Autel sensors work for you? Congratulations, you are the lucky one! They do not work 100% for me despite Autel claiming they should be compatible when I bought them

So please stop making statements like True...but if the aftermarket (I use Autel for my winter tires) sensors are cloned to match the ID numbers of the OEM sensors then there should be no problem provided the new sensors are of the same frequency as the Toyota/Lexus units.
Originally Posted by lexo98
You have some valid points but then toss something else in the mix that is going to cause someone else issues. Pushing the initialization button under the dash is going to cause more problems if the tpms sensor ids aren’t stored into the ECU correctly.
Of course the bottom button can only re initialize the ids programmed into the ecu.
Old 12-24-23 | 03:07 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

What is the point of saying buy quality sensors if even you acknowledge there is now way to tell quality of a sensor when buying it? It's the same as saying to make the sensor work make sure to buy the sensor that works.
Genuine Lexus OEM is made by TRW and Pacific.

Even Denso is considered aftermarket.
Old 12-24-23 | 10:07 AM
chas410
Pit Crew

Tire gauge in the glove box and black tape over the light can save $300 to $400
Old 12-24-23 | 02:58 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Originally Posted by samsonn25
Genuine Lexus OEM is made by TRW and Pacific.

Even Denso is considered aftermarket.
Really? Since Denso is primarily owned by Toyota? https://www.reuters.com/business/toy...es-2023-11-28/
Old 12-25-23 | 12:52 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Really? Since Denso is primarily owned by Toyota? https://www.reuters.com/business/toy...es-2023-11-28/
Denso is a parts supplier. They supply OEM with all kinds of parts. But not Lexus with TPMS

Denso markets their TPMS as their brand but it is made by Pacific.

Old 12-25-23 | 06:36 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Supply chain is irrelevant. If I go into a Toyota or Lexus dealersip and buy a TPMS sensor in a Toyota box with a Toyota part number then it is OEM, regardless of what factory it came out of. Toyota is saying “ this is our part that we put in our cars”. End of story.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tootsall:
autotech13 (12-26-23), shoodes (12-26-23)
Old 12-26-23 | 10:15 AM
shoodes
Pit Crew

I needed a set and just went with the OEM/OE Equivalent Denso 550-0105's that were on RockAuto ($39 for 1). No issues here and I would probably trust Denso parts with my entire life savings.

Lexus Part Number is (42607-06060). ($90 per sensor from my local dealer!)

They were the exact same sensor from the original ones (and yes, they do say "Pacific Industrial" on them too, still OEM.). I am not the first owner of my car so YMMV.

Last edited by shoodes; 12-26-23 at 10:25 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by shoodes:
autotech13 (12-27-23), chas410 (12-26-23)