ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

heavy trunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-23, 07:40 AM
Youdoofus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default heavy trunk

i have an excessive amount of weight behind the rear axle and am curious as to what i can do to zero the rear end back out. If that doesnt make sense, what im trying to do is get the rear suspension to act as if the car was built with that much weight there from the beginning.

here is my issue, with a female adult and her 8 year old child in the back seat, the rear would bottom out, and i scraped my exhaust tip a bit when exiting a parking lot(which would never happen without the passengers). between the adult and kiddo, id say maybe 210 lbs and 40 lbs of luggage.

in the trunk... custom sub box and a JL W7 12". the box is as far back to the bumper as it can get and weighs around 100 lbs. also behind the axle are 3 Esoteric audio amps, one of which is 25" in length and the other 2 are around 18" and are mounted on a square steel tube frame custom cut and welded and affixed to the rear bulkhead. just behind the amp rack is a shuriken AGM supplemental battery. the battery is about 8" from the center of the rear axle for reference. i can provide pics if that helps. im describing them physically because i didnt weigh them prior to installation)

my thoughts are either stronger springs and/or struts. my thoughts there are (springs) just a firmer ride and the stock damping would be just fine (struts) stronger damping, lessening the effect of the weight, thereby eliminating the bottoming out with about 250 lbs in the back seat (both) make the car think it is supposed to have over an additional 200 lbs cantilevered over the rear

TL : DR
i have over 200 lbs right near the brake lights and it bottoms out with passengers in the rear.... HALP!!!! LoL!!
Old 07-18-23, 11:08 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts

Not only will the back end scrape, but unless you have auto-levelling headlights you'll be "beaming" oncoming at night. That's a lot of weight to be lugging around!
Old 07-19-23, 10:41 AM
Youdoofus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tootsall
Not only will the back end scrape, but unless you have auto-levelling headlights you'll be "beaming" oncoming at night. That's a lot of weight to be lugging around!
pretty sure theyre autolevelling as ive made a few 4 to 5 hour night trips in it recently and i dont get brighted at all. but yeah, when there arent any rear passengers, its just fine. drives like a dream