ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

ES2014 Fusible link removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-23, 07:58 PM
winjul
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES2014 Fusible link removal

I am checking my daughter's Lexus wiper motor, which is an ES350 2014. The motor had stopped working, so she took it to the dealer. They told her that the motor is bad. She didn't have them replaced it. I told her I would look at it. I like to work on cars as a hobby. I didn't check the old motor; I just accepted the dealer's finding, and we bought a new one. After installing it, there was no change to my surprise. I decided to do some troubleshooting. On checking the harness to the motor, there was no power. I checked the internal fuse, and it was okay. I began to think about relays. However, I didn't see any wiper motor relays. I discovered that there was a fusible link in the engine compartment. The link had several fuses. When I looked on the fuse box cover, one of those links is a 5A fuse with WIP below it. I suspect that the particular link is blown. I am trying to remove it, but it seems very tight, and I don't want to pull and break anything. So far, I have disconnected the -VE terminal of the battery. I also remove the 10mm nut that anchors down the battery +VE cable to the fuse link bank. I have completely removed the cable holding down the fuse link. So now there is nothing visible holding down the fuse link. Does anyone know if there is a technique in removing the fuse link from the socket? I appreciate your help.
winjul
Old 08-26-23, 05:06 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

If you haven't checked YouTube already, there are some Toyota fuse link removal videos that might help you.
Old 08-27-23, 07:20 AM
winjul
4th Gear

Thanks for your response. I saw a video on removing the fuse link on the 2013 Toyota Camry Fuse. Now, looking at the engine layout in the video, it is the exact match of my 2014 Lexus ES350. The under-the-hood fuse box is identical. However, I don't know if Lexus uses a bolt at the bottom of the fuse link that I need to replace. The one in the Camry was pulled out easily; in my case, I am pulling so hard I am fearful that there may be a bold below. I don't know if anyone has removed that fuse box to replace any of the two fuse links.
Thanks!!
Old 08-27-23, 10:06 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 174 Posts

At 1:37 in the video
it shows that there are two screws holding the cables in place. If you look closely it appears that these two screws also go through, and clamp the lugs on the fusible link. See also 1:41 of the same video. I think the video just failed to show accessing and removing those two screws before pulling the fusible links out.
The following users liked this post:
EEng (01-13-24)
Old 08-27-23, 06:03 PM
winjul
4th Gear

Thank you very much. I saw the video. The fuse-link I am trying to remove is the front one, the shorter of the two fuse-link. The video shed some light on removing or partially disassembling the fuse box to remove the link. If I do that, I can see if the front fuse link is also bolted down or screwed in below. I suspect it has because I ordered the link in advance, which came with a screw. That screw would be needed for the hole at the bottom of the link because the top part has to be placed over a fixed bolt to which the positive terminal is bolted down. The link that I am replacing the part number is 82620-33070; the one in this video is 82620-33060. I believe this video will help. I am going to look at it tomorrow. Thanks again. I will let you know.
Old 09-04-23, 05:37 PM
winjul
4th Gear

I tried to remove the fuse link that controlled the wiper motor, and the 5A fuse lead was bolted to the terminal. I ended up drilling a hole in the fuse box by placing a metal spatula inside the fuse box in front of the terminal so the drill bit would drill only the plastic. Subsequently, I used a 10mm socket to unloosen the bolt and replace the link with a similar one. I covered the hole with electrical tape. I plan to get a snap-on-hole plug. A much better solution for maintenance if that link needs to be removed. I have a follow-up question regarding the wiper switch. Does anyone have access to the wiring diagram of the wiper switch and how to remove it if needed? I have removed the steering column covering, but the switch has no screws attaching it to the column. Everything is plastic and there appear to be clips that aren't obvious. The motor has a five-wire connector. There is no voltage at the wires when the switch is activated. I know one of the wires is ground because there is continuity between it and the chassis.
Thanks for the help and insight.
Old 01-13-24, 11:08 PM
EEng
Rookie

Yes there is a10mm bolt at the bottom. But way more stiff wire duct, so it makes moving the fuse block still very difficult. It doesn't move as easily as the Camry.