ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Install Navigation to non-navigation Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-23, 08:27 AM
DrDavid
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install Navigation to non-navigation Lexus?

Hi Everyone. I have a 2015 Lexus ES300H base model (no navigation). Is it possible to install a factory lexus navigation system to my car? Another Lexus owner with the same year and model as mine got his car totaled, but all the interior still works (navigation, sound, etc.) Has anyone tried doing this swap before and can it be done? I've searched all over and have not found anything about this. I would love to install a navigation system to my non-navigation system if this is possible. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 09-05-23, 02:25 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,172 Likes on 1,000 Posts

No - you cannot do that. It may be possible if you want to spend more money than the car is worth and even then it may not work right. Leave it the way it is.
The 2 vehicles have very different wiring harnesses. You cannot just swap out parts as you will not be able to connect the Nav stuff to your car as you lack the proper wiring and connections and other stuff is integrated into it that is different on your car.
. It will be a better option to trade in a non-nav car for a nav car.
The following users liked this post:
DrDavid (09-08-23)
Old 09-06-23, 10:21 AM
shoodes
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Another option you have is upgrading to an aftermarket headunit that will allow you to have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, but any swap isn't possible unless you want to spend a boat-load of money like Clutchless said.

I have an aftermarket unit with AA//CP and it's treated me very well.
DrDavid (09-08-23)
Old 09-08-23, 06:22 PM
DrDavid
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback you two. I almost bought one from fb marketplace. What aftermarket system did you buy?
Old 09-09-23, 08:38 PM
shoodes
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DrDavid
Thanks for the feedback you two. I almost bought one from fb marketplace. What aftermarket system did you buy?

I'm using the Binary 10.25 Inch aftermarket system (Also known as the Lexion system, but Lexion is just a reseller) with wireless AA/CP. It replaces the OEM screen while keeping the base Lexus System and you can swap back and forth from it. If you are interested, I can provide Reyn's email, where I purchased it from him twice now. I installed both systems by myself, the photos below are going to be from a 2017 ES300h (Mouse Joystick) and a 2017 ES350 (****)

Old 09-12-23, 05:10 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

Another alternative is just to buy a portable Garmin GPS unit with lifetime map updates. Cheap. dependable, always current, and just as good - if not better - than the Lexus unit. Pay for it once and never any map updates like Lexus who wants somewhere around $200.00 for an update. I believe that they sell for around $200.00. I have an UL 350 with ML and GPS and use the Garmin unit in my car...
Old 09-17-23, 04:57 PM
JKING3
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by shoodes
I'm using the Binary 10.25 Inch aftermarket system (Also known as the Lexion system, but Lexion is just a reseller) with wireless AA/CP. It replaces the OEM screen while keeping the base Lexus System and you can swap back and forth from it. If you are interested, I can provide Reyn's email, where I purchased it from him twice now. I installed both systems by myself, the photos below are going to be from a 2017 ES300h (Mouse Joystick) and a 2017 ES350 (****)

hey man, do you have a point of contact for them? Could you check when you have time what your default hotspot and password are? Zlink version 5 is not working for me.. do you know of a way to restore the unit to factory settings? And if possible, upgrade the OS?
Old 09-28-23, 07:31 AM
NachoNYC
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by shoodes

what's the cost of the unit?
Old 09-28-23, 07:44 AM
shoodes
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JKING3
hey man, do you have a point of contact for them? Could you check when you have time what your default hotspot and password are? Zlink version 5 is not working for me.. do you know of a way to restore the unit to factory settings? And if possible, upgrade the OS?

Not sure about upgrading OS or ZLink versions.

Contact is sale02@binarytek.cn (Reyn).
Old 09-28-23, 07:44 AM
shoodes
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NachoNYC
what's the cost of the unit?
I paid $900 USD with shipping included, came in 4 days from China.
NachoNYC (09-28-23)
Old 09-28-23, 08:09 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Just so everyone knows. There were some in the CL GS, IS, and RX forums who had the non Navi Lexus that were able to do the change to the Factory Navi system swap with used parts Navi factory Head unit and screen. It was surprising also that it was plug and play for the most part. Due to the fact that the Factory harness did have the Navi plugs attached in the Non Navi cars. I've seen the used screen and head unit cost they bought for the upgrade run from $1100 - $1800 depending on the source used to purchase used. I would guess the ES would be just as the others Lexus models, just that no one has done it due to the comments that tend to say it would be too difficult and next to impossible.

If was me I would choose one of the aftermarket carplay all in one screens that would include the carplay all in one full screen options, larger than the Navi Factory screen as posted above instead. I owned a ES and GS at the same time for a while, and the full screen across on the GS was just so much nicer than the ES screen that was cut short to the right.
Old 09-28-23, 11:22 AM
shoodes
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jgscott
Just so everyone knows. There were some in the CL GS, IS, and RX forums who had the non Navi Lexus that were able to do the change to the Factory Navi system swap with used parts Navi factory Head unit and screen. It was surprising also that it was plug and play for the most part. Due to the fact that the Factory harness did have the Navi plugs attached in the Non Navi cars. I've seen the used screen and head unit cost they bought for the upgrade run from $1100 - $1800 depending on the source used to purchase used. I would guess the ES would be just as the others Lexus models, just that no one has done it due to the comments that tend to say it would be too difficult and next to impossible.

If was me I would choose one of the aftermarket carplay all in one screens that would include the carplay all in one full screen options, larger than the Navi Factory screen as posted above instead. I owned a ES and GS at the same time for a while, and the full screen across on the GS was just so much nicer than the ES screen that was cut short to the right.

Totally agree. One of the main reasons why I jumped for this instead of the BeatSonic boxes that just use the OEM screen. The Dashboard felt kind of incomplete with how small the factory navi screen is. Now it fills up the entire and looks a lot more fluid.
Old 12-14-23, 02:31 PM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Wow 90% of cars sold had nav.