ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Good deal on this 2013 ES?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-24 | 09:04 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Default Good deal on this 2013 ES?

Hi guys

Former owner of a GS 350 here, but have always admired the ES. Lost my GS 350 in a wreck about 6 months ago and have plans to replace it. For now I'm driving a 2015 Camry V6 and it's a solid car but I miss Lexus quality a lot (stereo, ride, road noise, seat comfort, and more).and I'm annoyed by the car every time I drive it. Thinking of upgrading to the ES temporarily, and maybe I'll like it enough that I settle on it instead of replacing the GS.

Came across an ES for sale near me for $12,995 (see attached ad from craigslist). Test drove it and everything felt very solid. Does have a sizable rip on the passenger seat bottom but some repair tape can probalbly make it look half decent. It does have a scrape on the passenger side that could use attention. Overall I'd say it's in 8 out of 10 condition for a car 10+ years old. It's not a luxury model of anything, so it has the cheaper stereo and seat material but it does have the power trunk, BSM, parking assist etc.

Blue book comes out at over $15K, so I'm thinking this is a good price. I know 2013 was the first year of the 6th generation update to the ES and sometimes the 1st year of an update can be problematic. Anyone with an opinion on whether the 2013 year should be avoided for any reason?

May pull the trigger on it tomorrow it they give me a trade in offer on the Camry that isn't too insulting. I'm thinking they're going to low ball me on the trade in since they're "losing" money on the ES. Blue book for the trade in value is around $10K. I'm thinking if I can get out the door for $4000 out of pocket I'll go for it.

Here s the ad: https://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/...705859853.html
Old 01-10-24 | 08:18 AM
rmak
Intermediate

I like that car. It has a lot going for it. Nice colors and all black interior. Nav package as well. The mileage is very good for the year, and it will give you years of dependable driving if it has been cared for. If it is as clean as it appears, I would purchase in a heartbeat.
Old 01-10-24 | 08:54 AM
dmuff
Rookie

Looks like a deal to me. I picked up my 2013 with 85k miles for $14k a couple months ago. Used car prices seem to be dropping, see if you can it for $12k. If they stay firm it's still a good price.
Old 01-10-24 | 09:31 AM
2014LES350
Driver School Candidate

Default looks good

Originally Posted by dmuff
Looks like a deal to me. I picked up my 2013 with 85k miles for $14k a couple months ago. Used car prices seem to be dropping, see if you can it for $12k. If they stay firm it's still a good price.
My wife bought a '14 with 55k miles on it for $14k, three months ago, from an elderly retired judge (friend of a friend). Meticulously-maintained, with complete records, there was only one flaw, a partially damaged rightside rear-view mirror housing. Easy to fix, but it's not really noticeable, anyhow. The fresh Michelins and complete service done before hand-over more than make up for it.

Sounds like a good deal, though prices are predicted to fall in a few months, if you can wait, but that's a decent price from a dealer.
Old 01-10-24 | 09:53 AM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Thanks for the responses guys I may go talk to them tomorrow morning if the car's still around.

I didn't get a chance to give the stereo a good check and also want to give it a bit longer test drive.

Anyone had a chance to check out both the Levinson stereo and the base unit? Huge difference between the two? I had the Levinson in my GS and I'm no expert on car audio but it was very enjoyable.
Old 01-10-24 | 11:36 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gs350noob
Anyone had a chance to check out both the Levinson stereo and the base unit? Huge difference between the two? I had the Levinson in my GS and I'm no expert on car audio but it was very enjoyable.
Mine has the base unit. I added a subwoofer and upgraded the speakers in the dash and doors. It now makes a ML sound like crap.
Old 01-10-24 | 12:08 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rmak
Mine has the base unit. I added a subwoofer and upgraded the speakers in the dash and doors. It now makes a ML sound like crap.
Nice. How much would that have cost you if you didn't do the work yourself? I've got two left thumbs so I think DIY wouldn't be an option for me there.
Old 01-10-24 | 12:10 PM
st1800
Advanced

Did you get a carfax report?
Old 01-10-24 | 12:16 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by st1800
Did you get a carfax report?
I did. It's pretty good. Always on Maui, 2 owners, no damages reported. No maintenance history though which is a bummer.
The following users liked this post:
st1800 (01-11-24)
Old 01-10-24 | 12:18 PM
dmuff
Rookie

If you haven't already, sign up at drivers.lexus.com and add the VIN to your account. It will show any dealer done maintenance in Maintenance History. Though, if it is missing from CarFax then it probably won't have much.
Old 01-10-24 | 12:24 PM
rmak
Intermediate

Nice. How much would that have cost you if you didn't do the work yourself? I've got two left thumbs so I think DIY wouldn't be an option for me there.
I did it myself. Worst part was running the power wire for the subwoofer. Just the dash and door speakers alone without the sub will sound 10 times better.
Old 01-10-24 | 11:31 PM
Lead Lap

The seats looks dirty and worn out. Normally, you can tell how someone threats and looks after their car by the interior condition.
The following users liked this post:
gs350noob (01-12-24)
Old 01-12-24 | 06:37 AM
shoodes
Pit Crew

I also ran a sub and changed out some of the speakers, mainly the dashboard ones are the most important.
Those seem to make the biggest difference imho (the subwoofer too of course). It's a very easy DIY for the dashboard speakers, I think some people here are a fan of the Infinity 4032cfx.
Running a sub power wire is definitely the hardest part like @rmak said, I went through the firewall down under around the driver side pedal area, ran it through the bottom trim on the floor under the door panels, and behind the rear seats from there. I also just tapped into the factory subwoofer for signal.

Found the listing online with the CarFax if anyone else is interested.
I wanted to know what the trim package was on this, looks like it may just be a premium package (no issue with this), but I couldn't add it to the Lexus Drivers website, gives me a "Business Exception from CC" error.
https://www.jimfalkgm.com/used/LEXUS...0ec5a99135.htm
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...1a3dN1W7jDy3uE
Old 01-12-24 | 09:01 AM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shoodes
I also ran a sub and changed out some of the speakers, mainly the dashboard ones are the most important.
Those seem to make the biggest difference imho (the subwoofer too of course). It's a very easy DIY for the dashboard speakers, I think some people here are a fan of the Infinity 4032cfx.
Running a sub power wire is definitely the hardest part like @rmak said, I went through the firewall down under around the driver side pedal area, ran it through the bottom trim on the floor under the door panels, and behind the rear seats from there. I also just tapped into the factory subwoofer for signal.

Found the listing online with the CarFax if anyone else is interested.
I wanted to know what the trim package was on this, looks like it may just be a premium package (no issue with this), but I couldn't add it to the Lexus Drivers website, gives me a "Business Exception from CC" error.
https://www.jimfalkgm.com/used/LEXUS...0ec5a99135.htm
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...1a3dN1W7jDy3uE
Yeah it looks like it has a few features but not much. It's got BSM, power trunk, memory seats. Not familiar that well with ES package differences.

I'm gonna let the car sit and if the price drops again I may take a run at the dealer and see what they offer on a trade for my Camry. Otherwise I'll just keep rolling my hooptie until I find a GS.
Old 01-12-24 | 09:14 AM
shoodes
Pit Crew

Yeah it looks like it has a few features but not much. It's got BSM, power trunk, memory seats. Not familiar that well with ES package differences.

I'm gonna let the car sit and if the price drops again I may take a run at the dealer and see what they offer on a trade for my Camry. Otherwise I'll just keep rolling my hooptie until I find a GS.

I actually may think that this is the Luxury package, looking at a 2013 ES Brochure it's likely the luxury package (heated and ventilated seats) and they optioned a power trunk/BSM. While in the 2016 facelift, heated and ventilated seats became a premium package item.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...s-brochure.pdf

PREMIUM PACKAGE
Espresso bird’s-eye maple (ES) or Bamboo (ES/ESh) interior trim // Power tilt-and-
telescopic steering wheel // Lexus Memory System for driver’s seat, outside mirrors and
steering wheel // Remote keyless entry–linked memory
LUXURY PACKAGE
(Includes Premium Package) + Perforated leather-trimmed interior // Heated and
ventilated front seats

UL Models
ULTRA LUXURY PACKAGE
(Includes all Luxury and Premium Package) + Perforated semi-aniline leather interior
trim // Panorama glass roof (ES) // Driver’s-seat power cushion extender //
Ambient interior lighting // Power rear sunshade with manual rear-door sunshades

Last edited by shoodes; 01-12-24 at 09:17 AM.