ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Anyone w/ 10.3" Lexion Carplay Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-24, 01:37 PM
TJL
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Anyone w/ 10.3" Lexion Carplay Experience?

2017 ES350 owner here :

I'm looking to install the 'newer' Lexion A10-LXS (ES) carplay device which has a 10.3" display that comes with the plastic insert to extend the monitor past the dashboard, directly above the analog clock. Has anyone installed this one specifically?

Or if you've installed a different version, which one and how has it been operating?

$800 is worth the upgrade to me if it works properly and I should be able to handle the installation myself, but want to make sure it's not a piece of junk.

Thanks in advance!

Link to the Lexion Product
Old 03-20-24, 09:16 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...models-37.html
Old 03-21-24, 12:48 PM
TJL
7th Gear

Thanks! For some reason I could not find any that had comments from this year or even end of last year.
Old 03-29-24, 04:42 PM
cielosf
5th Gear

This unit has worked flawlessly for over a year now. The original lexus system runs along the Lexion just using the new larger screen. No instructions come with the sale, I watched a couple of youtube channels to get it done. One thing they did not mention is you need to remove the passenger seatbelt warning light from the old screen and just leave it inside the dash. If you just disconnect the connector from the old screen the seat belt light will stay lit. It's great using Waze on the large screen. If you have unlimited wi-fi data you'll be able to watch youtube, Netflix for your passenger on a long trip.

Old 03-30-24, 09:40 PM
Vish89
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cielosf
This unit has worked flawlessly for over a year now. The original lexus system runs along the Lexion just using the new larger screen. No instructions come with the sale, I watched a couple of youtube channels to get it done. One thing they did not mention is you need to remove the passenger seatbelt warning light from the old screen and just leave it inside the dash. If you just disconnect the connector from the old screen the seat belt light will stay lit. It's great using Waze on the large screen. If you have unlimited wi-fi data you'll be able to watch youtube, Netflix for your passenger on a long trip.

How is the road visibility with this unit? It seems to sit a bit higher than the dash which concerns me as it could impede outward visibility as compared to one that sits inside the existing spot.
Old 03-31-24, 05:19 PM
cielosf
5th Gear

I haven't found that to be a problem. I can say the touch screen is very convenient to use.
The following users liked this post:
Vish89 (04-03-24)
Old 03-31-24, 09:49 PM
shoodes
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the 10.25" Unit from Binary (OEM for Lexion and I believe they still sell this one too.). it's not the 10.3 one that goes in front of the dash like you are talking about though. It replaces the screen currently integrated within the dashboard. However, I can speak for the longevity, I have had it I think for about two years now and have it installed in two 6ES's, a 300h and a 350.

Everything was plug and play and it even came with instructions, which included a part of leaving the passenger seatbelt/airbag light plugged in and hidden behind the dash (however I am speaking for the Binary version on this regard).

Last edited by shoodes; 03-31-24 at 09:55 PM.
Audiobahn20 (04-24-24)
Old 04-01-24, 03:48 PM
is250916
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by shoodes

I have the 10.25" Unit from Binary (OEM for Lexion and I believe they still sell this one too.). it's not the 10.3 one that goes in front of the dash like you are talking about though. It replaces the screen currently integrated within the dashboard. However, I can speak for the longevity, I have had it I think for about two years now and have it installed in two 6ES's, a 300h and a 350.

Everything was plug and play and it even came with instructions, which included a part of leaving the passenger seatbelt/airbag light plugged in and hidden behind the dash (however I am speaking for the Binary version on this regard).
How much those units go for?

Side question: Is that the OEM stock ambient lighting?
Old 04-02-24, 11:35 AM
shoodes
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by is250916
How much those units go for?

Side question: Is that the OEM stock ambient lighting?
I think I purchased the unit for $800 PayPal through Reyn and email.

Not OEM ambient lightning, aftermarket AliExpress kit that I installed, if you have any questions about it or would like more photos, feel free to ask
I didn't opt to install the full kit, just the front strips and the two driver/passenger light strips that go inside the door trim. The kit comes with footwell lights, door handle lights, pocket lights, etc.

Last edited by shoodes; 05-06-24 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-03-24, 02:03 PM
Vish89
Driver School Candidate

Great to know they're still kicking after 2 years and 2 cars! This is more of what I'm personally looking for but Lexion doesn't have these advertised on their site anymore just the new tablet style. I tried contacting them with no response. Not sure if they're still selling these units but i'll try reaching out again.
Old 04-03-24, 04:36 PM
shoodes
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Vish89
Great to know they're still kicking after 2 years and 2 cars! This is more of what I'm personally looking for but Lexion doesn't have these advertised on their site anymore just the new tablet style. I tried contacting them with no response. Not sure if they're still selling these units but i'll try reaching out again.
Mine was purchased through Binarytek (OEM for Lexion), As far as I know, they are still offering this unit and I prefer it over the tablet style. You can contact Reyn at sale02@binarytek.cn. I purchased it through entirely email convo and PayPal.
The following 2 users liked this post by shoodes:
Audiobahn20 (04-24-24), Vish89 (04-03-24)
Old 04-03-24, 05:35 PM
Vish89
Driver School Candidate

That's a huge relief because I was dreading the stuck on tablet style. I really appreciate you passing on that contact info! I'll reach out and hopefully the price isn't too steep since our dollar is pretty abysmal here in Canada lol

Btw hows the audio quality? I have the ML setup so not sure how that will impact things
Old 04-04-24, 06:50 AM
shoodes
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Vish89
That's a huge relief because I was dreading the stuck on tablet style. I really appreciate you passing on that contact info! I'll reach out and hopefully the price isn't too steep since our dollar is pretty abysmal here in Canada lol

Btw hows the audio quality? I have the ML setup so not sure how that will impact things
I haven't noticed a difference. I have base sound system, but some aftermarket dash speakers and a subwoofer box in the trunk and audio sounds great to me.

One of my friends who lives in Canada calls it his Monopoly Money
Old 04-20-24, 07:59 AM
TJL
7th Gear

Cool Lexion A10-LX (ES) Carplay Unit Review

Hello,

I just wanted to give an update here about my journey.

After a few weeks of research (here, youtube, general searching) and some waiting, I decided to take the plunge and buy the unit.

BUYING THE UNIT
I used the binarytek email address that Shoodes is always pushing: sale02@binarytek.cn and they got back to me right away. We transferred our conversation to Whatsapp where they were very responsive, albeit 12 hour delayed because they are in Asian and I am in North America. They basically said that they would send me a link to pay them via paypal and then they would box up my unit and send me the tracking number once it was shipped - that didn't sit right with me, I wanted a website to shop from and some sort of traceable interaction. I told them that and he directed me to Lexion via whatsapp - like it was no big deal, they didn't mind at all not getting the sale directly which kind of made me trust them more.

So I messaged Lexion but by that time I was sick of waffling and just went ahead to https://lexionautomotive.com/product...h=top-products and bought it before he had the chance to respond, which he did very shortly after - and he confirmed my order and said he would keep me informed on when it would ship. And they did! My fears had been swept away by this point - I had full faith I was getting a unit in the mail and not swindled out of $800 USD.

RECEIVING THE UNIT
The Unit arrived a few weeks later. It was really well packed, safe and secure (see images below)

One large box with 2 boxes neatly tucked within

Box 1 had the screen, well padded and inset with the cords underneath.

Box 1: cords that were underneath the unit

Box 2: Housed the plastic piece that you connect to the unit.

INSTALLING THE UNIT

Installation went relatively smoothly! I used a combination of the beats sonic install video for removal of the dashboard (
) and the Lexion install for the actual computer (
).

Tools on hand:
  • Electric Tape
  • Wire cutters
  • Drill/Driver
  • driver Phillips Bit
  • driver 10mm socket
  • Soft cloth (for radio protection
  • Plastic console pry tools
  • youtube on your phone to follow along
I have done some disassembly before so I had the plastic pry tools. Taking everything off of the car was a bit scary at first but once you realize how sturdy everything is and you figure out the right amount of force to apply it goes by pretty quickly. Just take your time and DO NOT RUSH.

The kit also comes with some instructions that tells which wires go where - I should have reviewed this first because then I would have realized that the step in the video telling you to attach a wire to the center console speaker was irrelevant. Otherwise the video is super helpful and the paper diagram was nice to have too; just follow the steps in the videos and you're good! I watched it maybe 6 times leading up to the arrival of the unit though so make sure you understand the process very well.

There comes a time in the installation where it tells you to drill some holes in the plastic behind where the OEM screen used to be - YOU DO NOT HAVE TO. I tried and failed at this for 45m and ended up just using the OEM screw holes for the bottom two screws and it is rock solid - no creaks or moans or rattle or shake. You really only need the two, I promise.

Once it's Installed it looks amazing - it fits nicely into the car

Nicely Integrated

USING THE UNIT:

The machine works great! Seriously. Okay, no, it's not factory level like you would get brand new in every 2024 car that comes off the line, but it still works amazing as an upgrade for a 5-10 year old car.

Startup takes about 20 seconds once the engine kicks on - then it takes another 40 seconds for the bluetooth to (automatically) connect and carplay to show up on the screen. All in all, it's not that long. Some days I let it fire up while I wait in my parking spot - other days I roll out and hit play whenver it pops up. I've gotten used to the delay after only a few days of driving.

Carplay works just as it's supposed to. Maps, messages, spotify - all great. No real lag issue or anything like that.

Audio is just as good as OEM - no difference there.

Controls on the wheel work for the most part:
  • Volume keys work
  • track skip/15s podcast skip
  • hang up phone button
  • what else do you need? Its a touch screen
Siri works great
touch screen works great
phone calls work great.

Backup Cam works great
Jog Mouse works great (but I never really use it anymore)

It's honestly a pretty impressive unit and pretty powerful.

carplay screen

Native OS and OEM:
The native computer OS is some type of Android system. It came configured in english. The settings are super easy to access and helpful if you want to mess with brightness and stuff.

The OEM screen works exactly the same - though I never go over there anymore. it looks SO dated when you switch back to it.

OVERALL:
I'm loving it! It's the perfect way to upgrade your beautiful 7 year old lexus into 2024. Honestly, what more could I want now out of this vehicle?

9/10, would recommend and buy again

No I wasn't paid for this - I just felt like there was a lack of info on this unit but a lot of questions being asked so I wanted to contribute to the community. Please feel free to DM me - i'll try to login once a week to respond to posts/questions/messages.

Cheers and happy driving!
-TJL

(some keywords: Lexion, Lexion Carplay, Lexion ES Carplay, ES Carplay, Lexion A10-LXS, Lexion Review, Lexion Scam, Lexion Fake, Lexion Real, Lexion Install, Carplay Install, A10-LXS Install )
shoodes (05-02-24)
Old 04-22-24, 07:10 AM
shoodes
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TJL
BUYING THE UNIT
I used the binarytek email address that Shoodes is always pushing: sale02@binarytek.cn

I feel called out! LOL

I'm glad you documented everything and it'll be super helpful to those who are looking to purchase the screen.

Quick Reply: Anyone w/ 10.3" Lexion Carplay Experience?