ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Next-Gen Lexus ES (ES350 and ES300h confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-12, 09:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

agreed except i don't think it means gs sales will tank because of this, i think it would happen inevitably after the initial hype wears off, as happened with 3GS too.
i dont think GS will tank because of this or after 2-3 years... now maybe they will be lower than this month, and I am sure in May/June they will be able to cross 3k mark, once GS450h comes in... BUT, there are plenty of reasons GS350 tapered off in 2008/2009/2010, and for the same reasons 2013 GS looks good.
Old 04-04-12, 09:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

otherwise, ES looks stunning. It is ES, just a lot better ES.

Interior (always worst part of ES), looks up to par to anything with leather stiched dash and plenty of wood giving contrast to the leather.

I hope they start selling ES300h in Europe!
Old 04-04-12, 09:47 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy... that interior is really nice. I'm sure the GS is better appointed/equipped, but I'm not sure which one is the better design... and that's saying a lot because I love the GS interior.
Old 04-04-12, 09:52 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the exterior as well, but one thing that is very disappointing to me is the lack of triple LED headlamps, even in the hybrid. I thought this was going to be the brand headlights (at least with the hybrids)? Even the CT has it.
Old 04-04-12, 09:53 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
agreed except i don't think it means gs sales will tank because of this, i think it would happen inevitably after the initial hype wears off, as happened with 3GS too.
Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont think GS will tank because of this or after 2-3 years... now maybe they will be lower than this month, and I am sure in May/June they will be able to cross 3k mark, once GS450h comes in... BUT, there are plenty of reasons GS350 tapered off in 2008/2009/2010, and for the same reasons 2013 GS looks good.
Like it or not, those looking for a midsize luxury sedan always have, and always will cross-shop between the ES and the GS. Many just don't care if it's FWD or RWD. The ES is an oddball in Lexus' lineup that is positioned as both entry-luxury and midsized-luxury, eating into the sales of both the IS and the GS (but of course the combined sales is better for Lexus with the ES in the lineup). I predict the GS sales will see a rather noticeable drop (OK maybe "tank" was too strong a word) once this very compelling ES hits the showroom (in August?).

Last edited by ydooby; 04-04-12 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-04-12, 09:55 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mordecai
I love the exterior as well, but one thing that is very disappointing to me is the lack of triple LED headlamps, even in the hybrid. I thought this was going to be the brand headlights (at least with the hybrids)? Even the CT has it.
Yeah I'm very surprised too. Considering that Lexus have always shown the loaded models in auto shows and in PR pics, I guess LEDs aren't even optional this time. Quite a shame.

Last edited by ydooby; 04-04-12 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-04-12, 09:55 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Stunning, Lexus nailed it

I am so happy when Lexus have a good product, deep down Lexus is my favorite brand

Games over for Hyundai, great effort though.
Old 04-04-12, 10:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
Yeah I'm very surprised too. Considering that Lexus have always shown the loaded models in the auto shows and in the PR pics, I guess LEDs aren't even optional this time. Quite a shame.
in one post you say ES and GS compete directly and in other you ask why ES doesnt have all of the cool stuff.

you are answering your own questions !

GS and ES will always compete... with RX and IS as well I am sure.

I bet next IS will be even nicer than ES inside, so it becomes competitor to both ES and GS.

But this is how market works. Same is for Audi with A4, A5, A6, A7. Customer can easily save 25k by buying A5, which is stunning design... or buying A4.

You have to have choices, because customer who is looking at ES vs GS is also looking ES vs 3, vs GS, vs A6, vs C-class, vs A4 vs.... ES will be ending up at 50k and at those prices, there are 30 cars it competes against. It is not alone in the market nor is Lexus brand alone on the market.
Old 04-04-12, 10:05 AM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well done Lexus!

More pics

Old 04-04-12, 10:07 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

looks great!
Old 04-04-12, 10:08 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Those wheels look awesome

Looks like it is a lot of work to clean though
Old 04-04-12, 10:24 AM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Old 04-04-12, 10:25 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
in one post you say ES and GS compete directly and in other you ask why ES doesnt have all of the cool stuff.

you are answering your own questions !

GS and ES will always compete... with RX and IS as well I am sure.

I bet next IS will be even nicer than ES inside, so it becomes competitor to both ES and GS.

But this is how market works. Same is for Audi with A4, A5, A6, A7. Customer can easily save 25k by buying A5, which is stunning design... or buying A4.

You have to have choices, because customer who is looking at ES vs GS is also looking ES vs 3, vs GS, vs A6, vs C-class, vs A4 vs.... ES will be ending up at 50k and at those prices, there are 30 cars it competes against. It is not alone in the market nor is Lexus brand alone on the market.
True. The ES is positioned to be entry-luxury so it is deliberately deprived of some of the goodies such as the LED headlights and rear seat controls to prevent its price range from overlapping with the GS too much. But at the same time it's a bit of a shame because LED headlights have become such a hallmark of Lexus hybrids and rear seat controls would've made even more sense than in the GS because of the larger rear legroom in the ES.

Good example using Audi's highly overlapping sedan lineup. Yeah it doesn't matter which model eats into which model's sales within the same brand as long as together they grab more customers from the competitors.
Old 04-04-12, 10:31 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Looks nice, I think it looks better than the 4th generation GS.
Old 04-04-12, 10:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the more i look at this car the more i like it. it looks so good, all proportioned and flowed very well from the front to the rear. even with the grille design it flows very well with rest of the car. interior is classy and clean. lacks a lot of details, but for the price range it makes sense. i love the increased wheel base and more interior room. totally awesome.

Originally Posted by ydooby
Like it or not, those looking for a midsize luxury sedan always have, and always will cross-shop between the ES and the GS. Many just don't care if it's FWD or RWD. The ES is an oddball in Lexus' lineup that is positioned as both entry-luxury and midsized-luxury, eating into the sales of both the IS and the GS (but of course the combined sales is better for Lexus with the ES in the lineup). I predict the GS sales will see a rather noticeable drop (OK maybe "tank" was too strong a word) once this very compelling ES hits the showroom (in August?).
yes, this is true. whoever argues otherwise is just not looking at the big picture. some people care about rwd / fwd, but most people they don't give a damn. they care about the badge, the care about the price, and they care about the size (practicality). the es fits all those bills so well.

at least with the 4gs they make that car a lot sportier and focus on driving dynamics. i think that's good move to try distant the two

Quick Reply: Next-Gen Lexus ES (ES350 and ES300h confirmed)