ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Next-Gen Lexus ES (ES350 and ES300h confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-12, 04:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Very nice design, the best ES design by far, and one the best Lexus sedan designs I have seen along with the 2nd Gen GS and 2IS though I will have to see it in person to make final judgment. This looks so much better then the 4GS inside and out and one of the very few cases where a fwd sedan flows better and has better proportions and a better stance then a rwd sedan. That is great for the new ES but not so great for the new GS, I see the new ES like the last gen taking a bunch of sales from the GS. I am sure the materials inside the GS will be of higher quality but I think the ES interior design is better and more upscale looking.

My first impression complaints are that some of the interior plastics look a little too textured and possibly hard/cheap from some of the closeup pics and I don't like that orangish wood trim in the one model, the darker burled wood looks much better. The hybrid only putting out 200hp may be sluggish too for this size sedan.
all textured plastics is a improvement actually, much nicer than for instance A6 that has a lot of matte black plastic, like on any Yaris. Leather grained plastics is generally accepted as best way to do interiors.
Old 04-05-12, 06:19 AM
kyo7878
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xioix
I think there is another cup holder right below the shifter

Why so many dummy buttons? What are we missing from jap version? Err...
Old 04-05-12, 06:20 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Minor point, but I wish the tops and bottoms of the doors, and perhaps the carpet, were black. Those light colored interiors always fare better with more of the accent color, and less taupe.
Old 04-05-12, 06:59 AM
LexFather

^^^ I think its b/c the ES isn't catered to the sporty market who would prefer black....that is why the GS has it
Old 04-05-12, 07:03 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Minor point, but I wish the tops and bottoms of the doors, and perhaps the carpet, were black. Those light colored interiors always fare better with more of the accent color, and less taupe.
Interesting point. The current gen ES beginning with 2010 has contrasting dark carpeted floor mats with the light gray and tan interiors. I like the look and much easier to keep clean.
Old 04-05-12, 07:27 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^^ I think its b/c the ES isn't catered to the sporty market who would prefer black....that is why the GS has it
That's right.. Afterall the "ES" stands for "Executive Sedean"

~ Joe Z
Old 04-05-12, 07:41 AM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

2012 NYC Autoshow pic ES300H and last two ES350 much larger and up scale interior privacy screens that go up in down on rear passenger doors as well as rear window
ES300H
Next-Gen Lexus ES  (ES350 and ES300h confirmed)-2012-04-05-07.34.48.jpg

Next-Gen Lexus ES  (ES350 and ES300h confirmed)-2012-04-05-07.35.24.jpg

Next-Gen Lexus ES  (ES350 and ES300h confirmed)-2012-04-05-07.37.00.jpg
ES350
Next-Gen Lexus ES  (ES350 and ES300h confirmed)-2012-04-05-07.37.54.jpg

Next-Gen Lexus ES  (ES350 and ES300h confirmed)-2012-04-05-07.38.05.jpg
Old 04-05-12, 07:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,410 Likes on 1,580 Posts

thread has over 32000 views.
Old 04-05-12, 08:27 AM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Wonderful job, the car just looks awesome ! Great to see so much positive reaction, even from those that are often Lexus haters and critics .

That interior truly is awesome for the class.

Between this and the new Avalon, the full-size sedan competition is going to be facing intense pressure.

I'm a bit surprised that the rear suspension didn't change to a layout similar to the RX and CT, but now I understand why; to keep clear differentiation between the IS, GS, and ES.

Some points about all the (unjustified) hate about the GS:

- first off, Akio Toyoda said he "didn't want" the GS originally just because of how poor of an effort the 3GS was, compared to the 2GS it went backwards in several areas, and of course compared to the competition. Akio Toyoda also said it to awaken the passion amongst Toyota and Lexus ranks, to "unleash the dragon" so to speak and demand a better GS. Akio is a smart man, he obviously understands Lexus needs the GS globally to be considered a strong and prestigious luxury brand. The ES alone can't do it, and without the GS the gap between the ES and LS would be too big.

- the REASON why the GS was never a huge competition to the Germans that dominate the class is because it was always a niche product. The 1GS was limited in terms of options and powertains, and was a very small seller. The 2GS was a big surprise and made a big splash in the segment. Then Lexus made the huge mistake of letting the 2GS life cycle drag on for too long, and when they debuted the overdue 3GS, it was good for a while but they didn't do enough to keep it updated or competitive. As mentioned above, the 3GS also went backwards in some regards to the 2GS. While to many of us, the 2GS and 3GS styling was unique, it was also alienating to many people. Finally, the GS was never a razor sharp performer up until now. The 2GS did offer a best-in-class engine for a while, but then was overshadowed by the Germans. The 3GS compromised ride and handling too much, as well as practicality. It wasn't class leading in terms of ride, handling and practicality, and it didn't offer enough versus the ES.

- the new 4GS is ALL ABOUT competing DIRECTLY in the midsize prestige luxury sedan segment. It's no longer a niche player. The exterior and interior is all about business/practicality first, and style second. While many long-time GS fans don't like this, it was a NEEDED change for the continued survival, prosperity, and success of the GS in the future in this segment. The 3-box design was NEEDED from a practicality standpoint to compete with the Germans. While it's not as swoopy as previous GS designs, it still looks like a GS and like a Lexus. More importantly, it offers FAR more practicality than the 3GS. Additionally, handling, response were greatly improved as was ride comfort. Some of the options and technology in the 4GS are NOT shared with the new ES.

- I'm very certain Lexus is going to expand the GS range to further differentiate the GS from the ES. As long as Lexus continues to regularly expand and update the GS line (and most importantly keep the GS a focused sport sedan), then interest and sales will remain consistent.

- The next-gen LS will be in a whole other world compared to the GS and ES. That will mean clear differentiation between all the Lexus sedans.

- With the 4GS being so business-like in terms of exterior and interior, that NOW gives Lexus the ability to make a niche model fastback-coupe style of a sedan, which is what many of you GS fans probably wanted to see from the 4GS.

To those who are questioning why buy a new GS having seen the new ES, here are some reasons:

1.) the GS has rear seat controls which the ES will not have
2.) the GS has the huge best-in-class Nav screen, the ES will not get that screen
3.) the GS performance, handling and response is FAR sharper than what this new ES will have. The 4GS has best-in-class handling, better than the 5 Series, so no way will the ES come close to that.
4.) the GS has those incredible power seats with incredible adjustability, which I am very confident the ES will not get
5.) the GS has the specially tuned intake and engine acoustics which give it an aggressive sound and growl. Reading the ES press release, they designed the ES engine to be quiet and refined. So Lexus clearly differentiated between the character of the engine on the GS and ES.
6.) Even considering how awesome the new ES interior is, the GS interior is still a clear step above. The GS interior has higher craftsmanship and better materials and just looks more expensive than the ES interior. This is exactly how it's supposed to be.
7.) I am willing to bet real money that when people go to a Lexus dealer and drive the GS, and drive the ES they will see, hear, and feel a clear difference between driving the two.
8.) The GS hybrid has the available full LED headlamps, while the ES hybrid does not.

I will end my thoughts with this; can the new ES do this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yAkwzVj1wE

The answer is, definitely not.
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
To you. The GS is fine, still having RWD proportions. The GS interior looks just as good and being it is a more expensive car will of course have better materials. It amazes me people trying to crap on the GS all of the sudden, sales are through the roof, reviews have been glowing and the GS will be fine.

RIGHT ON

To the people trying to ***** on the GS just because of the ES ---- >

I saw the new GS F-Sport in PERSON and believe you me the car looks freakin hot. Even people walking beside the car were taking a glance at it. The people who are calling the GS "ugly" have NOT seen a F-Sport in person.

All you haters need to fall back the ES could never take the edge from the GS. A 300+hp RWD with sport tuned suspention, lightest in class, awesome braking system with a highly adjustable suspention ?

Sorry the ES and GS are two TOTAL different cars. No one is going to cross shop them.

Now that I got that out the way . . .

The new ES looks FANTASTIC. I've always loved the ES since day one I love the idea of it and what it offered. A lady friend of mine just purchased the current or now past gen ES (2012) and its one sweet car. Everything about it is just right, nice to the touch, smooth operation its just a wonderful car. Stress free. But this new ES just made a leap into the next century.

This car can not be considered "entry" luxury. Entry luxury would be the whole Acura brand lol.

It was said before but this new ES has a design that suggest that its RWD. Its very well designed, very smooth, strong. This car makes a statement but doesnt yell it something Lexus design was always good at... never too "show off"

The Interoir is great and I also think the car should have come with rear seat controls, LED headlights for the Hybrid model.

Home run. The photoshop with the Vossens wheels looks awesome.

Last edited by JDMToyotas; 04-05-12 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-05-12, 08:48 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks great inside and out, this thing will have no problem in terms of sales, the HS250 should really go though. Curious to see how it drives , I remember long before the GS came out they had magazines already testing it with the camo still in it.
Old 04-05-12, 10:40 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Question: Is that a cassette tape slot that I see? Because it's definitely not a CD slot!
Old 04-05-12, 10:56 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ydooby
Question: Is that a cassette tape slot that I see? Because it's definitely not a CD slot!
Now that is a good question
Old 04-05-12, 11:25 AM
2008ES
Rookie

Originally Posted by JessePS
Now that is a good question

If that's the 8-inch ML screen, then counting pixels puts the mystery slot at around 6.2 inches, which should be plenty for a 4.75-inch CD.

__
Old 04-05-12, 11:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it looks just like a cd slot to me
Old 04-05-12, 11:43 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2008ES
If that's the 8-inch ML screen, then counting pixels puts the mystery slot at around 6.2 inches, which should be plenty for a 4.75-inch CD.
Haha true. I guess it's just the unconventional design of the slot that threw me off.

Quick Reply: Next-Gen Lexus ES (ES350 and ES300h confirmed)