ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

what kind of oil in 2013 ES?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-17, 01:09 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
My service manager told me if one comes in and buys oil they get Toyota synthetic which is manufactured by Mobil. The oil they use is in drums and is an off brand of synthetic. This is why also for cost, I bring my own Mobil 1 and Toyota oil filter when I get an oil change.
I thnk I may have posted this same response to a similar question somewhere else on this forum, if so I apologize for repeating myself... but just in case I did not.... I basically heard the same thing. The service writer at the Lexus dealership told me that whenever you get your oil changed at Lexus, they automatically use Mobil 1 0-20 Synthetic. He told me that Mobil makes it specificially for Lexus... well I wasnt sure whether or not to believe that so I called Mobil and talked to one of their techs. He told me that they did indeed make synthetic oil for Lexus, as well as various other car manufacturers.. but he added the absolute best Mobil 1 synthetic product is the one you can off the shelf at wal-mart or your local auto parts store. When he said that I asked him point blank if he was saying the oil they make for the dealerships is sub-par to the Mobil 1 oil at wal-mart. I couldn't get a yes or no... all he said was if you want the best we make you can get it at wal-mart, which to me was his round a bout way of saying it is better than what the dealerships get. Do I know that for a fact? Nope.. but based on that conversation I get it at wal mart or some other local auto parts store. I also don't wait 10K miles to change oil and filter. I change every 5k miles. Some might say that's over kill but it gives me peace of mind. by the way guys, if any of you use mobil 1 ep oil filters, I found them for a good price on the internet. Check out www.filtersandwipers.com The Mobil 1 filter for my 2013 Lexus is M1C 251 i also bought a different mobil 1 filter from them for my 2010 4 runner.. both of the filters including shipping was cheaper than buying them locally. Not a great deal cheaper, but a few bucks and it saved me from having to go buy them here in town.

Poppa
Old 06-20-17, 05:54 AM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by norakat
I think 10k can only be done with a good 0w20 synthetic. Penzoil, Mobil 1, Amsoil, Toyota.

Personally, I would not go 10k though I have on one change. I think 8k is safe. Dealer says can even go over 10k.

More info: "Full Synthetic" is not 100% synthetic. Most oils are a full synthetic including (I suspect) Toyota oil.

I think there are only a few 100% synthetics out there. One is Amsoil - the inventor of synthetic motor oil, another is I think Mobil 1 in the special cylindrical can. Not sure of others. My next oil change will be with Amsoil. They supposedly guarantee 25,000 miles on their signature 100% synthetic oil. I will not go that far but will try 10k miles on that one.
I'm telling you 10K is not doable unless you're ok with accepting additional wear, especially ES drivers. Amsoil is not the inventor of sythetic motor oil, get that marketing spew off this forum lol

7,500 is a better interval. With the WIX XP filter you can do this a bit better, ultimately the regular M1 or Pennzoil is not enough. You really need to use M1EP, not enough dispersants in the regular M1 PP, toyota oil.

Amsoil SS can not go 25K on that oil, it's well contaminated by the time it reachs 15K, let alone 25K.

Dealer's dont know anything about oil, I'm routinely called in warranty disputes. The last Lexus dealer I had to fight was excellent, said he would recommend against using synthetic in the vehicle(factory calls for conventional) but then proceed to tell me the oil they put in was a synthetic blend. These guys are good at what they do, but they're not oil guys.