ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Mark Levinson Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-13, 09:18 AM
Sonnie
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

We are seriously in the minority here, as the majority (I would suggest a VERY high percentage) of owners are never going to complain. They are probably perfectly happy with the system because they are never going to turn it up that loud. Some of the older generation probably never turn it on... or listen to talk radio. Lexus considers us whiners... probably saying... "We got a few car audio gurus who think this system is suppose to win some SPL contest, for which it is not designed."

How many we got here or on other Lexus forums that are complaining... maybe 50? I think it is going to very difficult to ever get them to do anything major to fix it... like install a better subwoofer, which is what it needs.
Old 03-29-13, 10:27 AM
ICnothing
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are right more support is needed that is why all of us that are having issue need to stay on Lexus phone calls or e-mails. My brother was thinking of a Lexus heard my stereo and just bought an Acura TL and he cranked the system and said the quality was amazing compared to my MArk Levinson system. That sucks........He paid less than me and only has 440 watt system...how can it sound better?????? :-(

Last edited by ICnothing; 03-29-13 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-29-13, 11:03 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by ICnothing
You are right more support is needed that is why all of us that are having issue need to stay on Lexus phone calls or e-mails. My brother was thinking of a Lexus heard my stereo and just bought an Acura TL and he cranked the system and said the quality was amazing compared to my MArk Levinson system. That sucks........He paid less than me and only has 440 watt system...how can it sound better?????? :-(
Lexus probably advertises the max watts (what the system can put out in a short burst) and Acura probably advertises the RMS power (continuous) of the system.

But more watts/speakers doesn't always mean better sound. It's more about the quality of the equipment and how it's used.
Old 03-29-13, 12:02 PM
khatieh
Driver School Candidate

Default 2nd revised Amp installed.

Once again, Lexus installed yet another amp, and a lot of the problem has gone, but the base is not as powerful and the problem still surfaces when I set the base over 2 or 3 notches above the middle setting. It only occurs during bass heavy music. I think Lexus just reduced the gain for the amp until the subwoofer would stop bottoming out or distorting. The mark levinson in my 2013 RX 450h does not distort at all no matter the volume, song or bass setting and just sounds more clear and over all better despite the "better" specs on the ES. I'm not happy with this fix and don't know where I should go from here.
Old 03-30-13, 05:01 AM
ICnothing
Rookie

Thanks LexRuger for the info, did not make me feel better at now i know why.
Forgot to mention Lexus did get to me on Thursday evening after 3weeks, they claim to no nothing about this issue and will investigate and contact the dealership...I feel the run a run is starting.....as for a reply from Harman & United Radio nothing as for a reply. What a way to show Customer Service!!!! Would i want to buy their products.....No way......Mark Levinson needs to remember it is their name on the stereo system not Lexus, so who reputation is responsible both manufacture and they should both step it up for a resolution. We need to all be contacting both these manufacture till they are sick of hearing this complaint.....like the old saying United we stand divided we fall.....

Last edited by ICnothing; 03-31-13 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-30-13, 10:44 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by khatieh
Once again, Lexus installed yet another amp, and a lot of the problem has gone, but the base is not as powerful and the problem still surfaces when I set the base over 2 or 3 notches above the middle setting. It only occurs during bass heavy music. I think Lexus just reduced the gain for the amp until the subwoofer would stop bottoming out or distorting. The mark levinson in my 2013 RX 450h does not distort at all no matter the volume, song or bass setting and just sounds more clear and over all better despite the "better" specs on the ES. I'm not happy with this fix and don't know where I should go from here.
Could you give an example of a song with bass heavy music, something we could listen to on Itunes. I think Lexus designs the ML system to belt out Frank Sinatra type music.
Old 03-30-13, 11:03 AM
txes
Lead Lap

United we stand divided we fall.....
Actually it is:

United we stand, divided we fall.

John
Old 03-30-13, 12:38 PM
khatieh
Driver School Candidate

Well when I listen to my classics such as Led Zeppelin or Metallica, there is no distortion. Any hip hop or pop song I put in, for example Run this Town by Jay-Z or Just a lil bit by 50 cent, it cannot handle the bass at any setting that's not negative.
Old 03-30-13, 01:15 PM
Sonnie
Driver

Frank Sinatra... heehee... vocals with a little bit of violin and piano.

Unless you get some of the Remastered Led Zeppelin, the bass won't be too heavy in it. I am guessing Pink Floyd was one of the few back then that was using heavier bass on their tracks.

I think when you get into the synthesized bass below 50Hz is where it will start causing trouble.

Now I heard nothing but old folks drive a Lexus ES350 and above... and they never listen to any music with sub-bass ... nor very loud. So if we are young (like me... I am 51)... maybe we are not suppose to be driving a Lexus.
Old 03-30-13, 01:28 PM
ICnothing
Rookie

Suit and tie by Justin Timberlake sound terrible.
Old 03-30-13, 01:50 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 651 Likes on 486 Posts

Suit and tie by Justin Timberlake sound terrible.
I'm not gonna argue with you on that statement.
Old 03-30-13, 03:17 PM
Sonnie
Driver

I couldn't argue with it either... it wouldn't sound good on any system.

Now that barbershop quartet song they did on Fallen might sound pretty good on it.
Old 03-30-13, 04:05 PM
ICnothing
Rookie

Wait one more song, Drake starting from the bottom. I am actually in my wife's hyundai Veloster and it sounds better than my Mark Levinson. That is sad.... no offense to anyone.
Old 03-30-13, 07:11 PM
Sonnie
Driver

Isn't that an Infinity system in the Veloster? That would be from Harman.
Old 03-30-13, 07:38 PM
ICnothing
Rookie

Not sure who the company is but it is called (Dimension), only 440 watts but it sound really good. When it comes to bass it sounds better than my ML. My 2008 GS 450h ML system did not have these issue with any of these songs. I am starting to think that Lexus and Harman did not think the younger crowd was going to buy this vehicle so they put a system that could not play base.

Last edited by ICnothing; 03-31-13 at 05:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Audio?