ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Mark Levinson Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-13, 04:47 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 651 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by bobsobi
Appreciate you looking into this. You should be able to select which layer you want to play -- in this case, it's the 5.1 (or 3/2.1) PCM, LPCM, MLP, 96/24 or however it might appear on the screen.
Sorry for the late reply. As you know, it's kind of a PITA to get to the menu that shows the audio options, but I can confirm they're all there. The disc I put in showed advanced resolution 2ch , 5.1 ch DTS and DD 5.1. I think that was all. I checked out the high res 2ch, quickly, and was blown away. This is what should be used to verify the issues people are having with their subwoofers, not iTunes and XM.

Let me know what else you want me to check.

Mike
Old 03-31-13, 06:09 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ICnothing
Not sure who the company is but it is called (Dimension), only 440 watts but it sound really good. When it comes to bass it sounds better than my ML. My 2008 GS 450h ML system did not have these issue with any of these songs. I am starting to think that Lexus and Harman did not think the younger crowd was going to buy this vehicle so they put a system that could not play base.
I guess Lexbob2 may be right, from what he said in another thread:

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The average age of new ES buyers has been up around 60 for a long time. Toyota/Lexus has been trying to lower that average. I haven't seen anything recently that shows if they are suceeding or not. It might take a while with the new gen just out, but I don't think the needle moved much with the previous gen.
Old 04-01-13, 08:20 AM
bobsobi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike728
Sorry for the late reply. As you know, it's kind of a PITA to get to the menu that shows the audio options, but I can confirm they're all there. The disc I put in showed advanced resolution 2ch , 5.1 ch DTS and DD 5.1. I think that was all. I checked out the high res 2ch, quickly, and was blown away. This is what should be used to verify the issues people are having with their subwoofers, not iTunes and XM.

Let me know what else you want me to check.

Mike
Advanced resolution 5.1 as well?

Interesting that the 2013 ES manual available online no longer shows the screenshots indicating DVD-A options, but the disc format information still lists "liner PCM" like it does in my 2009 manual.

Thanks.
Old 04-01-13, 08:52 AM
ICnothing
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has any one gotten any resolution from Lexus or Harman on the distortion issue Amp or Subwoffer?
Old 04-01-13, 09:16 AM
kesando
Rookie

Originally Posted by ICnothing
Suit and tie by Justin Timberlake sound terrible.
When u hear that song on the Radio, you don't realize just how much bass that song really has. That song has a constant synthesized bass line throughout the whole song. A potential nightmare on the ML system.
Old 04-01-13, 09:19 AM
Robdog1515
Rookie

Last week I was at the dealer. I listened to an es350 base model. I put the mids and treble at full left, then set the bass at full right, then sent the focus of the sound to the rear of the car. I set the radio to some hip hop song and cranked the volume to 62( max). So at full bass and full volume there was no distortion at all! I did not look to see if if it was the same sub setu as the Ultra Luxury model, but it sounded pretty good. So the base sub has no distortion, only the UL system has distortion.

This weekend I messed around with the sub, I found that increasing the back pressure on the sub reduced the distortion. I did this by cupping my hands over the sub in the trunk. This doesn't help us, but it is knowledge.

Lexus was supposed to follow up with me within two business days of my complaint call with their resolution or plan for a resolution. It's been 7 business days with no call. I'm losing patients here lexus.

I'll give it 3 months then I will have a pro swap the sub for something more... Capable.
Old 04-01-13, 09:50 AM
ICnothing
Rookie

Hi Everyone, I recommend you all contact these people with the concern we have the more of us complain the better. They need to know we are not impressed with the ML system.
John is the person at Harman and the e-mail is (john.mcmullen@harman.com) and Philip Moore is for United Radio e-mail is (pmoore@***********.com) and for Lexus 1-310-328-2075 or 1-800-255-3987 or go to this link to e-mail your problem to Lexus http://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/ask.
They need to hear from all of us.

Last edited by ICnothing; 04-01-13 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-01-13, 02:12 PM
Robdog1515
Rookie

ICnothing:
I got a phone call from Philip today. Very nice guy, however he didn't have any additional information for me. he only deals with amps, not the speaker. John is also with the amplifier side of the company.

I totally agree with ICnothing. Everyone who does not like the quality of sound in their 2013 ES 350 needs to first have their amps replaced so the amp is current. then contact Lexus 1-800-225-3987, then contact Harman. No matter how you feel about pushing for results, remember this is a business transaction, and we are all the customers. As customers we did not receive what we purchased, so we are entitled to complain and demand a resolution.
Old 04-01-13, 05:56 PM
ICnothing
Rookie

Thank Robdog, all of us having issues with the 2013 ES 350 & 300h ML system need to call Lexus...... The more calls the better our ears will thank us when it gets resolved. I'm impressed how quick you got a hold of Philip and John it has been almost 4 weeks and they have not replied to my e-mails.

Last edited by ICnothing; 04-02-13 at 03:34 AM.
Old 04-03-13, 06:37 PM
Music4ever
Driver

Hi everyone, new to the Lexus Club forum and was reading all the posts on the Mark Levinson system. I have been dealing with Lexus and it has been a long process as they have no answers so I was goggling issues with ML system on 2013 Lexus 300h and Club Lexus showed up. This is a great site.....Wish I check this site before paying extra for the M.L. system. The system or I should say the sound from the subwoofer is the worst I have ever heard, when playing Music with bass it cannot handle it no matter the source. Has anyone had any success yet? I was going to take the car to a audio shop and Lexus informed me this would void the warranty. I am finding that even the door speakers are starting to rattle anyone else with this issue with the door speaker? Hard to Believe I have a Mark Levinson system and I am driving with my mp3 player with head phones now that sucks.
Old 04-03-13, 07:06 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 651 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Music4ever
Hi everyone, new to the Lexus Club forum and was reading all the posts on the Mark Levinson system. I have been dealing with Lexus and it has been a long process as they have no answers so I was goggling issues with ML system on 2013 Lexus 300h
I'm going to say it again. I wonder if there's some sort of acoustic anomaly occurring in the hybrids, due to the batteries in the trunk. The 300h owners seem to be complaining the most.

I wish there was a way to merge these 2 threads...

Last edited by Mike728; 04-03-13 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-04-13, 02:00 AM
invictuz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sonnie
...Harman could have put a JBL sub in there that would sound much better. .
Not sure if someone mentions this later in the thread as I am still reading through it but unless they changed the Mark Levinson system significantly since the 2007 IS350 model it is not actually made by Harman (I am aware that Harman owns Mark Levinson).

The ML system in Lexus was outsourced to Pioneer.
Old 04-04-13, 02:12 AM
invictuz
Driver School Candidate

Also for those still squeezing value out of DVD Audio (I purchased about 200 before I couldn't find them anymore).

Make your own: Cirlinca HD-Audio Solo Ultra http://www.cirlinca.com/
Old 04-04-13, 09:39 AM
tpatel12
Driver School Candidate

Default Issue Fixed

All,

I have been following this thread for a while now. I have a 300h with UL and ML. I had the sub replaced a few months ago and that did not fix the distortion issue. I got my car back 2 days ago, they replaced the ML AMP and now my system sounds great!!!! I would suggest you call your dealer and ask them to order/install the updated amp. Thanks everyone for the detailed comments, this forum has been very useful..

TP
Old 04-04-13, 10:09 AM
txes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by invictuz
The ML system in Lexus was outsourced to Pioneer.
I highly doubt this is the case.

Lexus systems are developed and produced by Harman/Becker Automotive Systems, the car audio department of Harman International.

Harman, being the parent company of AKG, Harman Kardon, JBL, Mark Levinson, Lexicon, and Infinity doesn't really need Pioneer.

Got a link?

John

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Audio?