ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Mark Levinson Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-13, 05:39 AM
Music4ever
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, my two Audi's sound system was amazing. A premium sound system I did not have to do anything. Luxury class like Lexus
Try to listen to Audi upgraded system
Old 04-12-13, 05:45 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 691 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by Music4ever
Mike, my two Audi's sound system was amazing. A premium sound system I did not have to do anything. Luxury class like Lexus
I'm sure your Audi's system could not come close to comparing with Sonnie's.

I still think my ML sounds amazing, but it is dependent on the source. Amazing with DVD-A, not so much with XM. Do I think it could be better? Certainly it could. Am I willing to shell out $10k to make it like Sonnie's? NO
Old 04-12-13, 05:55 AM
Music4ever
Driver

Mike, you cannot compare aftermarket to stock system, and you are right Donnie system looks great and should sound amazing as well. You asked which car company provides a superior or a real premium system and I indicated Audi. If you get a chance listen to it. Like I said before this is the worst upgraded provided by the manufacture that have ever had. LEXUS CUSTOMER SERVICE HAS BEEN THE WORST I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH. By the way XM radio sounded great in the Audi.
Old 04-12-13, 06:03 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 691 Likes on 512 Posts

By the way XM radio sounded great in the Audi.
That's impossible. 64kb music can NEVER sound great. That said, I'm sure your system in the Audi was superior to the ML in the ES. I'll guarantee you won't find a Bose system in a GM that sounds better, though. Also, the upgraded Infinity system in my last Hyundai was by far inferior to the ML. I guess it all comes down to prior experience, which shifts your frame of reference.
Old 04-12-13, 07:13 AM
Sonnie
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks... I appreciate the kind words. Steve is tops in car audio and he kept the car for 10 days... spent quite a bit of time with it to get it like we wanted it.

It just so happens that Steve Cook of AudioX in Florence, AL, who installed my system, just purchased an Audi ($80,000) that included the $6,000 Bang & Olufsen system. He was disappointed and is removing it and putting in a system similar to what he did in our ES350. Although being his own, I suspect it will ultimately be better than the one he put in ours.

However, we would have to qualify Steve's definition of "disappointed", as he is a multiple champion Sound Quality winner... tons of trophies, including MECA World Champion in 2010. So there is not much going to impress him from the factory. Yet, he did say that he expected a LOT better system in his Audi for $6,000. Of course we can imagine what he could do for $6,000.

Originally Posted by Mike728
I'm sure your Audi's system could not come close to comparing with Sonnie's.

I still think my ML sounds amazing, but it is dependent on the source. Amazing with DVD-A, not so much with XM. Do I think it could be better? Certainly it could. Am I willing to shell out $10k to make it like Sonnie's? NO
Oh no... no where close to $10K... not even half of that. It was a few thousand, but I got molded tweeters, custom amp rack, tinted windows, a $310 XS Power D2400 battery and quite a bit of sound deadening material on top of the system processor, amps and speakers, for what I paid. Just the Morel 3-ways up front were $600... and you don't have to spend that much to improve over what is there. This system still uses the ML amp to power the rear. You will no doubt spend a couple thousand more than what the ML system cost to get something like this installed from a reputable company/install guy. And for nothing more than adding a sub and amp, you could get that done for $1,000 or less installed.

I think Lexus should spend the money on a good car audio guy to come in and design a system for them. They can do it with the system they put in the car now if they would simply improve the level and equalization of the amp output (you should have seen what it was putting out on the analyzer). They need to separate the tweeters from the mids and put them in the pillars... and naturally put a better sub in the car. The sub needs to go in the very back corner of the vehicle firing into the trunk, instead of installing it in the rear deck. It does not have to get complicated. They could literally spend $300 - $400 more and have a really good sounding system. Could you compete with it? NO, but it would sound good.

In the inexpensive Honda Civic... tweeters in pillar pods:

Of course the Civic system sounds pure ugly up front, but how hard could that be for Lexus to do in their ML upgrade? And with the right amps and speakers, this car could sound, not just good, but amazingly good.

Last edited by Sonnie; 04-12-13 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-12-13, 10:47 AM
Robdog1515
Rookie

Sonnie,

Your system looks awesome! Thank you for offering to send me the sub, however I don't think it will be necessary. I sent in harman a nice email asking what their plan is, and if there isn't a plan to give me all the info I need to put in a new sub in the trunk and still use the ML amp. Lets see what they say. I was also going to hook up my multi meter and measure the draw from that sub to get an idea of the power.
Old 04-12-13, 12:21 PM
Music4ever
Driver

I think what hasn't helped as well is the poor customer service, and you can tell Lexus could not care less. I think that has been the biggest disappointment for me and I would not deal with Lexus ever again when purchasing another vehicle. Mike as for the comment about GM I had a Cadilac about 7 years ago and the system could take bass quite well.
Old 04-12-13, 01:45 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Sound quality is so subjective and personal I think each owner/buyer just has to listen to the system in the car they are looking at and decide if it's OK for them or not, and if it needs upgrading to meet their needs.

I recently bought a 2013 Audi with the B&O system and see the same thing on Audi forums. The B&O is terrible and the B&O is great. Pretty much the same as the ML discussion the ES, IS, GS LS etc.forums.
Old 04-12-13, 05:38 PM
Music4ever
Driver

I agree lexBob, taste of music is an individual preference but the service I have receive from Lexus is the worst I have ever incurred from any luxury car company.
Old 04-12-13, 06:06 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you thought about upgrading your system like Sonnie to get the sound you want? I think since music is so important to you, you might as well pull the trigger instead of bemoan the lousy sound and customer service. Life is too short and not worth the hassle you're experiencing, really.
Old 04-12-13, 06:30 PM
Music4ever
Driver

I do not give up and let a cooperation like Lexus just walk away freely, I have been in communication with a few car magazines and They have asked for me to get the vehicle tested to make sure Lexus claims are true or not by a professional audio shop. If after I get the car tested and if Lexus claims are false they will write an article in the magazine. I will never walk away when I know I am right, I done well in life by not letting people or companies walk over me. I think what Sonnie did was great.
Old 04-13-13, 01:00 PM
ICnothing
Rookie

Hey everyone I have been at a audio shop, and they tried to enclose the subwoofer with a temperary way and it worked. The distortion and the thumping almost completely gone. They are going to build a box for the subwoofer, not sure if this will help anyone else but the sound is night and day.Not sure if it is a fix, I will find out when they build the box.

Last edited by ICnothing; 04-13-13 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-14-13, 07:51 PM
Robdog1515
Rookie

Default awesome!

Originally Posted by ICnothing
Hey everyone I have been at a audio shop, and they tried to enclose the subwoofer with a temperary way and it worked. The distortion and the thumping almost completely gone. They are going to build a box for the subwoofer, not sure if this will help anyone else but the sound is night and day.Not sure if it is a fix, I will find out when they build the box.
This is awesome news!!! I also experimented with this as well, just using my hands it it stopped the distortion at a volume where it just starting to happen. I was also thinking of doing this. could you please take a photo when your all done and report back on the improvement.

please set it to full bass, and then crank up the volume, see if you can get to 62.

Does the bass feel tighter now? more dynamic?

Is the shot going to have to drill into your car to add mounts?
Old 04-15-13, 04:16 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To me, there is more than just a volume issue here. By adjusting the bass, mid tone, treble settings, and balance, I am able to get pretty good sound for most stations, especially at the lower volumes. The distortion starts at different volume settings depending on the song and station. I would have to say for 95% of the listing that I do, the volume is not high enough to give me the distortion issue. Obviously not the way it should work but I have been able to work with it. But I never get the 'thumping' sound that I really like and expected from the system.
Old 04-15-13, 07:48 AM
khatieh
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

I am currently at the Lexus dealer for the 4th or 5th time for this issue, they were going to put a sub in there and once again said they don't want to just slap part at it. They said they are going to make a product report, and call the engineers and they are going to see if its unique to my car (which it obviously isn't ) and they will take the next step from there. Once again they acknowledge the problem and are going to put me in a loaner so they could look at it for a few days. My dealer is very sympathetic but I feel they the dealer and myself are jumping through hoops with Lexus. I am very disappointed with the lack of customer service on corporates half.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Audio?