ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Mark Levinson Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-13, 10:24 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"if I make the changes the warranty is void" That is why I have been waiting.
Old 05-10-13, 10:45 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 661 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by ElliotB
"if I make the changes the warranty is void" That is why I have been waiting.
What warranty is being voided, the sub's?
Old 05-10-13, 03:32 PM
Music4ever
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

:
Originally Posted by Mike728
What warranty is being voided, the sub's?
anything to do with the stereo would be voided, and if any eletrical issue occur that can link to an aftermarket product will void the warranty. I actual have this in writing from Lexus and has been given to Amy at lemon Law office.

I have extended warranty and not will to screw it up, let's face it any corporation that can wesel out of paying for something under warranty they will.

Last edited by Music4ever; 05-10-13 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-10-13, 05:11 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Music4ever
:

anything to do with the stereo would be voided, and if any eletrical issue occur that can link to an aftermarket product will void the warranty. I actual have this in writing from Lexus and has been given to Amy at lemon Law office.
That makes no sense. People replace their factory speakers all the time without consequence. They're passive, not active components. They would have no ground to stand on trying to deny an electrical claim, because you changed out your subwoofer. Putting it in writing doesn't mean anything, either. As long as you don't sign it.
Old 05-10-13, 05:23 PM
SDrescher8
Driver School Candidate

So since I'm looking at an 06 IS250 with nav, will it also have the ML or is that another option that I'd need to specify while looking?
Old 05-10-13, 05:35 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SDrescher8
So since I'm looking at an 06 IS250 with nav, will it also have the ML or is that another option that I'd need to specify while looking?
You're in the wrong forum. Please ask your question HERE
Old 05-11-13, 06:22 AM
Music4ever
Driver

That makes no sense. People replace their factory speakers all the time without consequence. They're passive, not active components. They would have no ground to stand on trying to deny an electrical claim, because you changed out your subwoofer. Putting it in writing doesn't mean anything, either. As long as you don't sign it.
Mike, I know what you are saying but at this time I have no choice till Lexus comes up with a resolution or I get lucky and Amy from the lemon law department does something. I also just got a report from the audio shop on their recommendation. The shop also reviewed the new amp put in my vehicle and I indicated Harman just changed the setting with a computer and does not believe it is a new amp just the setting are being changed. I guess that is why it is cheaper to do this than change the sub or get a proper boxed in sub.

Last edited by Music4ever; 05-11-13 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-11-13, 09:14 AM
DiscoDan
Driver School Candidate

It has been a week and I have not heard back from the dealer service department.
I will contact Lexus Monday if I do not hear from them.
Old 05-11-13, 09:20 AM
Robdog1515
Rookie

remember everyone, there is a fix coming out in 6 weeks or so. I recommend everyone who is perusing the lemon law route to postpone that until you can get the latest fix in the car. if your still not happy then have them buy the car back. This is what I am doing, as long as you don't exceed 18K miles they will buy it back from the mileage of the first visit. This is true even if you wait 6 more weeks for ML to release their fix. Can't hurt to wait.
Old 05-11-13, 09:34 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Robdog1515
if your still not happy then have them buy the car back.
They will not buy the car back for this. At most, they'll give you the cash equivalent of the ML system, as they did for someone who had an issue with his ML in an older version ES. I think his experience is documented in the older ES forums.
Old 05-11-13, 10:37 AM
bobsobi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They will not buy the car back for this. At most, they'll give you the cash equivalent of the ML system, as they did for someone who had an issue with his ML in an older version ES. I think his experience is documented in the older ES forums.
That would be me.

If you have the time and inclination to do some thorough searching, you'll find a number of old threads concerning Lexus' long history of cost-cutting bonehead moves with the ML, many of them in the Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics subforum. You can search for posts from one of the electronic forum's moderators, Percy, who has not pulled any punches in expressing his distaste for Lexus' poor treatment of the ML.

The speakers are probably the weakest link -- they have to be the cheapest components they could source. As far as replacing a passive component like a speaker not affecting the warranty, I'd be careful -- if the impedance of the replacement speaker is not exactly the same as the original's, Lexus could void your warranty for that, or simply because the replacement is not an OEM part.

The $500 service credit and full cash refund for the ML I received was not without a lot of effort -- I wish you all good luck in pursuing this grievance.
Old 05-11-13, 12:28 PM
Music4ever
Driver

Mike, no disrespect but I have nothing to lose going this route. Since I came in contact with Amy from Lemon Law office; Lexus has called me twice and wants the vehicle re-checked so I think that it has help. Will they buy the vehicle back well it is a 50/50 chance but I am building a solid case and will have to do a lot of leg work. Does this impartial to my enjoyment of the vehicle, yes. Has the vehicle continue to go into the shop for service for the same issue , yes have the issue interfered with work, yes. As I have to take time off work to drop off the vehicle and pick it up. I have blown the sub and a door speaker since the new amp was put in. I do think it is a good vehicle just small things that have pissed me off, and I think Lexus has really not step it up. I have a full report from a profession shop that clearly states the sub is the issue not the amp and that report was given to the lemon law office.
Robdog, I know you indicated Harman has a fix but, now that a have a case with the lemon law it is done. I will see what happens.
Old 05-11-13, 03:35 PM
calm
Driver School Candidate

Default Happy anniversary to me!

To update the group:

Just got to made that 6th lease payment.

My dealer doesn't even bother to call me with status updates or just to say "hey, no change on the issue yet, but we want you to know that we did just check for an update"; I have to call the service department every other week to hear anything. My dealer has yet to change any part/component unlike what others in this forum have communicated. They defer to some Lexus communique that they say told them to perform no warranty equipment replacement as they are not effective to resolve this issue at this time.

I have become very concerned about posts on this very forum that the "fix" is to tweak a setting to effectively mask the issue.

Am I crazy for waiting this long now for a real solution or is it now just a measure of how crazy?

Originally Posted by calm
Like others in this ES300h forum thread, I too have a audio distortion with the ML premium feature.

It sounds like the cross-over/amplifier is sending more than lower frequencies to the sub-woofer.

I can recreate the distortion on demand using a audio reference CD Bass 305 which I acquired when a audio retailer went out of business.

While parked, on a source with +/-0 Tre +/-0 Mid, +/- 0 Bass at >40 audio loudness, with ASL and DSP Enabled audio distortion occurs.

While drinving at highway speeds, with the same settings, bass audio distortion is present at >37 audio loudness. I imagine ASL to be the cause for the delta.

Disabling DSP seems to also alleviate the issue by 2-3 audio loudness ticks.

I have witnessed distortion via CD the most (I imagine the frequency range is better with this source), but FM/Sat and Pandora can also be distorted sources.

I have taken the vehicle back three times for this issue; I got the vehicle Dec 10th, 2012.

The first I wasn't prepared right, I let the service writer go to easily that it was bad source material.

The second time around Christmas, we tried the material in a different new Lexus with ML, and then in mine. The service writer and tech seemed to "get the issue" this time. They also understood how to recreate the issue on demand. They ordered a new sub. I was told that the replacement would require a half day as they had to remove the back seat to install this.

The third time, after the holidays, I dropped the car off and got a loaner. I was called after lunch that they were told by Lexus not to install the new speaker as it would not address the issue. I was not told much other than Lexus is investigating the issue. The dealer may hear something tomorrow or sometime in the unknown future.

This is my fourth Lexus, seventh Toyota/Lexus. It's the second time I have purchased/leased the premium radio option (the last time it was in a SC300 and by Nakamichi). I am regretting the purchasing decision due to this feature and also this issue. I am embarassed to take co-workers or friends in "the new car" due this issue.

I realise I am jaded as the car is really comfortable and quiet when I drive it. The audio system is what I hear 90% of the time when I am driving and I am not able to enjoy a premium vehicle due to this issue.

Cheers
Old 05-11-13, 03:45 PM
calm
Driver School Candidate

Default Audio report?

Music4ever: What did you exactly ask a professional audio reseller to test / perform? Was this performed by a certified technician (to give it some value) and how much did it roughly cost?

I would like to get a similar report for my vehicle as I a firm believer that this provides real evidence versus something subjective of "what I hear".

Lastly, can you post your report with anything personal redacted?

Originally Posted by Music4ever
Mike, I know what you are saying but at this time I have no choice till Lexus comes up with a resolution or I get lucky and Amy from the lemon law department does something. I also just got a report from the audio shop on their recommendation. The shop also reviewed the new amp put in my vehicle and I indicated Harman just changed the setting with a computer and does not believe it is a new amp just the setting are being changed. I guess that is why it is cheaper to do this than change the sub or get a proper boxed in sub.
Old 05-11-13, 03:49 PM
Music4ever
Driver

Originally Posted by calm
To update the group:

Just got to made that 6th lease payment.

My dealer doesn't even bother to call me with status updates or just to say "hey, no change on the issue yet, but we want you to know that we did just check for an update"; I have to call the service department every other week to hear anything. My dealer has yet to change any part/component unlike what others in this forum have communicated. They defer to some Lexus communique that they say told them to perform no warranty equipment replacement as they are not effective to resolve this issue at this time.

I have become very concerned about posts on this very forum that the "fix" is to tweak a setting to effectively mask the issue.

Am I crazy for waiting this long now for a real solution or is it now just a measure of how crazy?
Unfortunately, if you do not make enough noise no one listen, and that is the same with Lexus. They ignored me till I raised a fuss and now got the lemon law office involved now they are listening. it is very important that we complain till the issue is resolved not another band aid. I have also sent a letter to JD Power on how Lexus has handle this issue, if they rate car companies maybe they sound know how bad thing can be as for customer service from Lexus. I recommend everyone that is not satisfied with Lexus service to write to JD Powers with your experience with Lexus with this one issue or any other.

Last edited by Music4ever; 05-11-13 at 04:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Audio?